Big dogs are especially inspawrational as Tripawds. For many years, most veterinarians would disqualify a big dog as an amputation candidate. Some still do. Well, they haven’t met a Great Pyrenees like Bandit! Today, we are hoppy to share his Tripawd Tuesday love story as told by his mom Gina from California.
Great Pyrenees Bandit, My Best Friend Forever
Get ready to meet a big dog with a big heart! Bandit proves that not even amputation can keep him from enjoying his life on the beach with his favorite people.
How old is your Tripawd?
When and Why did your Tripawd lose a leg?
- A year ago from cancer
How did your Tripawd adapt to life on three?
- He was walking on his own less than a week after surgery
What are your Tripawd’s favorite things to do?
- He loves to take walks, bark and eat
Is there any special gear that helped or helps your Tripawd?
- We had a special wheelchair made for him but he doesn’t like to use it…haha
If you went through amputation surgery recovery with your animal, what did you think would happen after surgery? Did your worst fears happen? How did you cope?
- I was a complete mess…my heart shattered into a million pieces when he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. I didn’t really know what to expect. I harnessed all of my sad energy into making him healthy.
- I found the best oncologist and surgeon in the Bay Area and called everyday sometimes twice a day to get him an appointment. One week after his diagnosis he went in for his amputation. He came home two days later and we nursed him back to health.
- We feel blessed that we could financially afford all that we have done and continue to do. He went through five rounds of chemo and has been cancer free almost a year:)
What is the biggest lesson you learned from your Tripawd?
- Dogs can do anything!
What is your best advice to someone who is about to go through amputation with their pet, or someone who is thinking of adopting a Tripawd?
- Go for it!
Send Your Tripawd Tuesday Love Story!
Did you enjoy today’s Tripawd Tuesday story? Want to share your own hero with the community?
Please share your Tripawd Tuesday love story, too! By doing it, you’ll also help pet parents seeking hope and inspiration during tough times. Follow the links to send it to us.
Be a Community Ambassador
Request a Tripawds Community Ambassador Kit. Get everything you need for you and your three-legged dog or cat to show the world that Tripawds Rule.
Your participation helps us get the word out about our mission. Chip in a bit extra to help keep your community online! Thank you!