There’s a hoppy Tripawd about to start doing great things for Missoula County, Montana. Today’s Tripawd Tuesday spotlights three-legged Gidge. He was just voted in as Missoula County’s first Pet Commissioner!
A Border Collie Tripawd Building Awareness in a Big Way
There’s a new government official in Missoula, Montana, and he has one more leg than all the rest. Gidge the Tripawd won a local contest and be Missoula County’s first Pet Commissioner starting this Thursday.
Adopted from the Missoula Animal Shelter in 2020 at the young age of one, Gidge lost his front right leg as a puppy. He’s been having the best life ever since! His forever human Katie says:
Gidge and I are thick as thieves. He’s right by my side whether we’re working, hiking, rafting, or camping, and he’s better company than any human I’ve lived with. He’s so easy to get on with, he’s sure of making friends with everyone. Except for this one bear that he likes to herd when it comes too close on our walks; while they share a mutual, grudging respect, I wouldn’t quite call them friends!
And to that, Gidge adds:
Why did I run for Commissioner? I find that most folks are surprised to learn dogs like me get around well on three legs. I lost mine in an accident, but often, three-legged dogs have beaten bone cancer. Sometimes I meet dog owners who are grappling with the decision to either amputate a leg or euthanize their pet after a cancer diagnosis. Seeing me running around helps them make the decision to amputate and rehabilitate. I ran for Commissioner to give tripawds more visibility so more pets might have a chance to live happily on three legs.
On October 6th, Three-Legged Gidge is being sworn in as Missoula County Pet Commissioner.
Once he takes a seat at the table, some of the topics he and Katie will bring into the local political discussion include:
- Working on a county-wide ordinance to restrict fireworks use to a certain time period
- Allowing restaurants with outdoor seating to determine for themselves whether they’d like to allow dogs at their establishments.
- And building awareness among constituents that Tripawds can have and live happy lives!
Congratulations Gidge! Three-paws up to you and your mom for participating in democracy. We hope more Tripawd packs out there will follow your pawesome example!
We Want YOUR Tripawd Tuesday Story!
Are you inspired by today’s Tripawd Tuesday feature about three-legged Gidge’s new role in politics? Want to share your Tripawd hero’s story? Whether you have one, two, or more Tripawd dogs with three legs, a coyote, a cat, or a rabbit (or any three-legged animal!), share your three-legged love story with the world and inspire others! Send your Tripawd Tuesday shout-out now.
Each Tuesday is the best way to celebrate Tripawd amputee pets from around the world. Enter for a chance to be “Tripawd of the Week.” Just share your story in a few words and you’re in!
Whether you are a bonafide registered Tripawds member, or part of our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram communities, we want to tell the world about your three-legged cat or dog.
Send Your Tripawd Love Story in 3 easy steps:
- In a short paragraph or two (or longer if you’d like!), describe your three-legged hero’s story. Share a photo, video or both.
- Got a Tripawds Forum topic and/or Tripawds blog that you started? Be sure to include that link too! Of course let us know any social media handles that feature your Tripawd.
- Then send your story to us via email, Facebook Messenger, or direct message us on Twitter or Instagram @TripawdsCommunity.
We try to publish a new Tripawd story each week. It’s time for yours to get featured!