Join The Discussion
Learn about life on three legs in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free to take advantage of member benefits:
- Instant post approval.
- Private messages to members.
- Subscribe to favorite topics.
- Join the Live Chat and more!
Best Dog Beds for Tripawds
Give Tripawds the comfort they deserve! See which dog beds are best and why.
25 April 2007
The University of Missouri’s Veterinary Health Center is seeking cancer-stricken canines to test a drug researchers hope will let dogs — and maybe someday humans — live longer.
The university is running clinical trials in partnership with Tensive Controls Inc. on a medication for cachexia, a wasting syndrome that causes about one-third of cancer deaths.
Cachexia occurs with advanced cancers, causes loss of appetite and can lead to multiorgan failure.
Read more here: http://www.kans.....rylink=cpy
Canine Cachexia Clinical Trial
The true prevalence of cachexia in canine patients has not been determined, due in part to euthanasia when a pet’s quality of life declines and weight loss ensues. The objectives for this study are to determine toxicity, including cardiovascular effects of the final drug candidate of MC4 peptide receptor antagonist and to determine preliminary efficacy of MC4 peptide receptor antagonist in dogs with cachexia.
- History of 5% or greater with loss within past three months
- Radiation and chemotherapy allowed at clinician discretion
- Washout of 2 days required for appetite stimulants.
- CBC, chemistry panel, UA, and abdominal ultrasound within 14 days of enrollment
- Corticosteriod use allowed if > 14 days prior to enrollment
Most Users Ever Online: 597
Currently Browsing this Page:
Devices Used: Desktop (47), Phone (11)
Guest Posters: 973