Join The Discussion
Learn about life on three legs in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free to take advantage of member benefits:
- Instant post approval.
- Private messages to members.
- Subscribe to favorite topics.
- Join the Live Chat and more!
Tripawds Jewelry & Art
Visit our Etsy Store for custom pendants, charms and unique handmade gifts!
Thanks for letting us know, I too would be very interested in what people are experiencing. Details would be great, like when you first started noticing a difference. We need to clarify that we moved to our own server back in May. We just completed our migration of the Website to Wordpress MU in July. Both were major undertakings intended to make this community better for its members. if performance is lacking for you please explain in as much detail in this topic.
You can help troubleshoot any issues by telling us ...
- What issues do you experience and when? (Please copy and paste any errors you receive.)
- What web browser do you use? Is Firefox any better?
- What type of internet connection do you have?
- On what pages do you see speed problems? (Please test other Tripawds blog pages if only in forums.)
- Have you confirmed issues are specific to this site? How does our RVblogz community perform?
- Are you behind a firewall?
- Do you notice any difference when you view site through a proxy server? If yes, what is your IP address?
You can try these tips to resolve issues ...
- Empty your cache and relaunch browser.
- Reset your site cookies if you have never done so. (Log out ->Delete any cookies from tripawds.com ->Relaunch browser -> Log in)
- View in Compatibility View. (MS Internet Explorer)
- Ensure Tripawds is a trusted site in any security settings.
Thanks again to everyone for your help and continued support. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.
Thanks for letting us know, I too would be very interested in what people are experiencing. Details would be great, like when you first started noticing a difference.
- What issues do you experience and when? (Please copy and paste any errors you receive.) I'm not getting error messages, but the pages load really slow! Last night I waited 3 min. for the main forum page to load. I gave up and closed my browser and went to bed.
- What web browser do you use? Is Firefox any better? I use Firefox and have no problems with other sites.
- What type of internet connection do you have? We are on High Speed Cable
- On what pages do you see speed problems? (Please test other Tripawds blog pages if only in forums.) I have had problems on the forums and blog pages.
- Have you confirmed issues are specific to this site? How does our RVblogz community perform? No problems with anything else or other sites.
- Are you behind a firewall? Yes
- Do you notice any difference when you view site through a proxy server? If yes, what is your IP address? No
You can try these tips to resolve issues …
- Empty your cache and relaunch browser. did that
- Reset your site cookies if you have never done so. (Log out ->Delete any cookies from tripawds.com ->Relaunch browser -> Log in) did that
- View in Compatibility View. (MS Internet Explorer) don't use IE
- Ensure Tripawds is a trusted site in any security settings. it is
This all started happening with me on Tuesday.
Either Monday or Tuesday evening it was extra slow for us here. Pages would load about 80 to 90 percent and then nothing more happens. I get the sense that in the loading process there is one item that causes everything to slowdown or stop. Chuy's observations are very similar to mine. I believe the real drop in speed happened after the July migration to the Wordpress MU. Just now I saw this item on the recent posts list of the forums. I logged in, came back to the forums and it was no longer on the recent posts list. The other night when it was super slow there was a lot of that same type of thing happening where the list of recent posts would change when you changed pages briefly.
Thanks for all the feedback. We'll do our best to resolve these issues, but they seem mysterious and sporadic. When it comes to WordPress and plugins – especially these forums – it often becomes a toss-up between features and performance. and we have a lot of db queries going on. An upcoming Simple:Press upgrade will hopefully help.
@chuy: If possible, would you mind temporarily disabling your firewall to see if that makes any difference? We might then be able to identify security as a cause, or rule that out. Don't forget to turn it back on!
@fte: Recent Posts displayed will change as differnt posts get more recenty updated.
FYI: If performance is better at some times than others – or for some users and not others, as seems to be the case – network traffic may be a possible cause. Cable accounts are especially known to bog down when the neighborhood gets online.
We will continue to look into this. Thank you for you patience. Anyone else care to comment?
Update: In an effort to improve site performance we have reconfigured various discussion forum options and eliminated certain script calls from all blog pages.
- We have removed the Recent Posts list from displaying at the top of the forums since this was reduntant to the pulldown menu which includes links to the same.
- The number of recent posts within the pulldown menu has also been reduced.
- The number of topics per forum page, and posts per topic page, have been reduced from twenty to ten.
- We have also removed the forum statistics from the forums and eliminated the recommended pages widget from the footer of all pages.
- The Post Rating (stars) system has been disabled.
- MyBlogLog members will also no longer be identified when visiting this site.
These changes should greatly reduce the number of database queries per refresh, however, more pages may need to be navigated when viewing certain forums and topics.
Users may or may not need to clear their cache for some ofthese changes to take effect. There should be no need to reset cookies. We hope these efforts help and look forward to any additional feedback.
Here is another step Tripawds members can take to help improve the performance of WordPress admin/dashboard pages by storing certain images, scripts, and CSS files on your local computer … View your Tripawds User Profile Select the Tools tab Install Google Gears and Enable "Turbo" Alternatively, just visit your profile and click the Turbo link next to your name at top right. Visit Google for complete help with Gears and a list of supported browsers.
UPDATE: Please do not enable Google Gears for tripawds.com. If you have enabled Google Gears in the past, please disable it for this domain. We have discovered an incompatibility that may degrade system performance. The WordPress Tools menu has been disabled so the Turbo function is no longer available. If you had activated Turbo, disabling Gears will turn off Turbo. If you are uncertain whether you have activated Turbo for your account, please contact us with your user and/or blog name. Thank you!
about 9:30 pm PDT last night I could not access the website. It either would not load past about 50 percent, or at that point the page would go totally white and the browser would say "Done." I tried reloading three or for times and it was a no go. This morning things seem OK.
25 April 2007
Thanks Ralph. Yes, we are aware of it. It's an unrelated network error and our geek squad is working on this to resolve it now. Long story but we'll post an update soon. Thanks for letting us know
Update: We have our server manager investigating DNS issues which might be causing performance degredation.
Also, I have just enabled gzip compression for delivery of all pages which should reduce data throughput an average of about 70% for browsers that support gzip compression, which nearly all modern browsers do. I did read, however, about some very rare cases where this actually slows things down even more on older computers. Please let us know here if you're noticing any difference in performance, either way.
Turning off the firewall did not change anything for me. When I first tried to log in today I got a message saying that Firefox could not locate the site. Hmmmmmm......... I then went to a link I bookmarked to the forums and it still would not find the site. Played a few games on another site and came back, things were o.k., but still slow. It's 2:30 p.m. here in AZ
The server crashed last night, and earlier today. We fear we may be under attack. We had the server back up quickly, and a team of trained monkies have been dispatched to resolve the issue for good. Please stay tuned.
13 July 2009
I knew I should have kept the 7 cats locked in the bathroom! It must be them ganging up on us!
Please advise if closing the chat while browsing the forums or blogs affects performance.
Most Users Ever Online: 597
Currently Online: reilly95
Currently Browsing this Page:
Devices Used: Desktop (69), Phone (5)
Guest Posters: 973