TRIPAWDS: Home to 23115 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Going in on Friday for front leg amputation on 150lb mastiff.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Virginia

sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
22 April 2016 - 10:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Want to come over and smooch and cuddle right now!!! What a sweetheart!! And look at that proud happy boy standing next to the hammock. Cooper is ready for a nap on it!

So his draining issues have subsided? Regardless, he's looking good! And it's still really, really early in recovery!

Thanks for sharing these sweet pictures of sweet Cooper! Looking forward to more!

Hugs!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
23 April 2016 - 12:41 pm

Awwww he's so gorgeous! Hope he's doing well today. Thanks for sharing the pics! Would you mind if we posted them in our Gallery?

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

27 April 2016 - 5:39 pm

Share the pics in the gallery that would be great.  Hes doing real well and going to the vet every few days for daycare.  The pop a few stiches out and let him drain more.  Now I am just trying to figure out the best diet and supplements to give him.  Any suggestions would be great.

On The Road

27 April 2016 - 7:49 pm

bloocent1 said
Now I am just trying to figure out the best diet and supplements to give him...

The Tripawds Nutrition blog is filled with reviews and recommendations! You will also find a full chapter with suggestions in Three Legs And A Spare , available in the Tripawds e-books .

Many Tripawds bloggers have also documented their nutrition plans, and there is the whole Eating Healthy forum too. Use the advanced search above to refine forum results or search all blogs here . Don't miss Jerry's Canine Cancer Diet & Supplements.

3 May 2016 - 8:04 am

So Cooper's is finally not leaking any more fluids and healed up nicely.  The only problem we have noticed is now he is having a harder time getting up then right after surgery.  The vet said he looked stiff so they took him off Deramaxx and put him on Carprofen.  We havent really noticed a difference.  He looks sad and not very happy as of the last few days.  Also, was curious to anyone trying a holistic vet that comes to the house for acupuncture and talk about chinese healing/herbs?  I have been reading about Artemisinin and SanSheDan ChuanBeiYe.  My wife thinks I am nuts and we took away Cooper's pain by amputating the leg but that should be it for now.  Any advice?

Virginia

3 May 2016 - 9:37 am

Glad to hear his incision has finally healed up. I know that was worrisome.

The first thing that came to mind regarding Cooper's leg is overdoing it and probably still feeling a bit of pain. My Happy Hannah was on some dose of lain meds for three weeks. Larger dogs often need pain meds a bit longer than some. Hurting could certainly effect his attitude. So you might ask the bet about adding a dose of Tramadol or Gabapentin for a few days and see if that helps.

It takes approximately one month for dogs to fully adjust to mobility issues. During that time there can be lots of sore mucles, strained back and neck muscles, etc. Try gentle massage all.over before he gets up, along with gentle stretching.

It isn't quite three weeks since surgery and that's still very early in recovery, especially for big fellas!! Adjusting to three legs takes a bit of time.

Another thought, use a harness or sling to help him get up for a few days while his sore muscles are regrouping.

And yes, you'll find a lot of support of acupuncture here! Others will chime in who have used it. It takes a couple of sessions to see results, but many swear by it!. You'll find a lot of support for holistic approaches too! I'm only familiar with Artemisinin , not the other two you mentioned. Check out The Dog Cancer Survival Guide for a lot of information on complimentary therapies.

.ake sure your energy around Cooper is upbeat and confident! Cooper will pick up on your energy.

Keep us updated AND post more photos of this sweet boy!

Hugs!

PS...If you jave hardwood floors, make sure you have non slip rugs for traction .

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

3 May 2016 - 12:07 pm

He has been on gabapentin for a few months now.  They took him off Tramadol last friday because of his constipation.  I will ask vet in morning to some sort of other combination.  Thanks for the advice and I realize were still only 2.5 weeks after surgery.

Michigan
3 May 2016 - 1:25 pm

You can always try canned pumpkin for constipation - not the kind that has all the spices in it for pumpkin pie, but the regular one.  It helps with constipation and diarrhea.

Donna

Donna, Glenn & Murphy 

Murphy had his right front leg amputated due to histiocytic sarcoma at 7 years old. He survived 4 years, 2 months & 1 week, only to be taken by hemangiosarcoma at 11 1/2 years 6/12/17  
Read about Murphy's Life on Three Legs

Donna.png

On The Road

3 May 2016 - 3:02 pm

Acupuncture is awesome, it's even an officially recognized modality for managing pain in dogs and cats in the 2015 AAHA Guidelines, the gold standard of pain management & vet care.  I would definitely look into it. If you haven't considered rehab therapy yet, I highly recommend it. Find a certified rehab vet who also does acupuncture (yes, they're out there) and you get a double bonus. Consult with them about herbs and supplements and you'll have the best protocol for him. Our Tripawds Nutrition Blog and Downloads blog has some great info like:

http://download.....m/?s=rehab

6 May 2016 - 10:19 pm

So Cooper is not doing so well now.  Over the last 4-5 days he has become not able to use his back legs.  We have to use a harness and pretty much lift or assist him outside.  The vet and everyone is very shocked because of how well he was walking post surgery.  We were able to get him in the car and go to the vet 3-4 times a week and now cant get him anywhere.  They started him on prednisone today.  I have a holistic vet coming tomorrow to check him out and do accupuncture.  Also, met and spoke with a dog physical therapy expert who had had mastiffs for 30 years.  Hoping to figure out what is going on with him.  Some think maybe hes has a back or neurological issue now.  Any help or advice from others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason and Cooper

Virginia

6 May 2016 - 10:37 pm

Awww Cooper,.what the heck.sweet.boy!

It.is.sooooooo easy to overdo it early on and throw a back.out, pinch a nerve, etc.

You're doing an EXCELLENT job of covering your bases vy checking with an Acupuncturist, a PT who is knowledgeable about Mastiffs, as well as your regular vet. Hopefully the Pred will.work.if there is any inflammation going on.

Another suggestion, .com ake a post under "Ask A vet". Our "volunteer.Vet" has had several Mastiffs,.one who was a tripawd (Tazzie). She's very knowledgeable and can maybe share some insight on Cooper's challenge. Eating, drinking, pooping, peeing normally?

Certainly.not a.vet,.but just seems it.could be a back.issue related.to tweaking something while adjusting.to three legs.

Update.when you can. Goodness knkws we.are all.cheering for.this sweet.boy!! Hang in there! This is why we call this recovery period a roller coaster ride!

Hugs!heart

On The Road

7 May 2016 - 9:26 am

bloocent1 said
.., met and spoke with a dog physical therapy expert...

How much and what kind of activity was Cooper getting? Any chance he may have overdone it? Is this expert a certified canine rehab tech (CCRT/CCRP)? Another professional opinion never hurts, and the Tripawds Foundation may be able to help through the Maggie Moo Fund for Rehab Therapy.

You will also find many helpful  tips for massage, stretches, exercises, hydrotherapy and hat/cold compresses in Loving Life On Three Legs or by searching the Tripawds Blogs .

Best wishes! Please keep us posted.

7 May 2016 - 10:55 am

The only activity was walking to the bathroom or getting up to eat.  The most strenuous would have been taking him to the vet multiple times a week and going up and down ramp into car.  The physical therapist has all of those qualifications.  http://www.cani.....aff.html 

Jeffrey Flocker, MPT, CCRT, CCRP, CMT
I will look into the Maggie Moo fund now.
Thanks,
Jason and Cooper
Tyler
1 March 2022 - 1:15 pm

How did you tie up the leg exactly 

On The Road

1 March 2022 - 3:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Tyler said
How did you tie up the leg exactly 

Tyler, this is a very old topic. Please start a new topic so we can help you and your pet. And we do not recommend tying up a dog's leg for any reason.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: benny55, Sue_2
Guest(s) 279
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17870
Moderators: 6