TRIPAWDS: Home to 23085 Members and 2157 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Veterinary Oncology and Amputation wih Dr. Worley, SUN 02/15/15 3:00pm PST
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
On The Road

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7 February 2015 - 12:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Tripawds discusses amputee dog gait analysis and veterinary oncology on Tripawd Talk Radio!

Veterinary Oncology and Amputation with CSU Vet Dr. Deanna Worley*

Guests: Dr. Deanna R. Worley

Date: Sunday, February 15, 2015

Time: 6:00pm EST (3:00 Pacific)

Duration: 30 min.

Call In Number: (646) 716-5450*

Tune In Here: http://www.blog.....nna-worley

As Assistant Professor of Surgical Oncology at Colorado State University's Flint Animal Cancer Center, Dr. Worley will join us to discuss two fascinating areas in her research specialties:

1. the biomechanical changes that occur in amputee dogs, and
  2. canine osteosarcoma considerations, treatment options and ongoing care

Join us in the first half of our show to learn about discoveries made when Dr. Worley and her team studied the gait patterns of amputee dogs.

In the second half, Dr. Worley will share the latest developments from the experts at Colorado State who are helping their canine patients fight osteosarcoma.

Post questions for this episode below prior to Friday, February 13, 2015 or join us in the Live Tripawds Chat during the show!

*You do not need to call in to listen to the show. Only call if you have questions you would like answered live on the air.

The podcast will be posted here as soon as it is available. Hear all previous Tripawd Talk Radio podcasts in the Downloads blog , or see the program archives and schedule on BlogTalkRadio

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

On The Road

9 February 2015 - 10:19 pm

Hey folks, now is your chance to ask one of the country's top oncologists your questions. Post them below for Sunday's podcast.

New York, NY
15 February 2015 - 10:46 am

Yay so fun!
My question:
I know you studied and work with dogs. My kitty Jill is two years post amputation for osteosarcoma (rear leg). Have you ever noticed a difference in the gates of kitties? She does seem to tilt when she runs is there anything particular I should look for? Also she still needs a good boost to jump up on the bed but that may just be because I've spoiled her :)

Jill is a 9-year-old tuxedo kitty. She was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in June 2012 on her toe in her right hind leg. Her leg was amputated on 12/12/12 and she completed four rounds of chemo (2 of Carbo, 2 of Doxy) in April 2013. "Like" Jill's facebook page: https://www.fac.....tty?ref=hl Proud member of the WINTER WARRIORS!!!! Her blog can be read at http://jillsjou.....ipawds.com. xoxo

New York, NY
15 February 2015 - 10:47 am

Oh sorry one more thing. I'm also curious if they see a lot of osa kitty cases at CSU

Jill is a 9-year-old tuxedo kitty. She was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in June 2012 on her toe in her right hind leg. Her leg was amputated on 12/12/12 and she completed four rounds of chemo (2 of Carbo, 2 of Doxy) in April 2013. "Like" Jill's facebook page: https://www.fac.....tty?ref=hl Proud member of the WINTER WARRIORS!!!! Her blog can be read at http://jillsjou.....ipawds.com. xoxo

On The Road

23 February 2015 - 3:21 pm

Many thanks to Dr. Worley for another pawesome program! clap

Miss the show? Listen to the Podcast!

23 February 2015 - 6:59 pm

It was very informative and worth listening to. Although the research was focused on dogs I recognized a similarity with my cat Mona who is front left leg amputee - she brings her left rear leg further forward than the right rear leg so she is fully in a tripod position.

As to a previous question Jerry asked about cats slipping on hardwood floors. My cats generally don't have a problem except when taking a corner very quickly then all legs are flying. However, I have noticed that Mona's rear left foot seems to slide forward on the hardwood, I'm not sure if that's how she chooses to walk/hop or if it's from the floor. When she runs there is no sliding and no visible hopping.

Kerren and Tripawd Mona

On The Road

23 February 2015 - 9:17 pm

Kerren that was so nice of you to listen, thanks! We try to cover every topic from a feline angle as much as possible, and always look for more topics for kitties and doggies alike.

Thanks for sharing the observations about Mona's gait. I wonder if other front leg Tripawds do that on slippery floors? I don't recall Jerry, also a front left amp, sliding like that.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 255
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17840
Moderators: 6