TRIPAWDS: Home to 23132 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Roxy's Back Leg Amp - April 29, 2014
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 April 2014 - 11:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi everyone. We are new to this group. My 9 year old greyhound, Roxy, became a tripaw yesterday - back left leg amp - due to osteosarcoma. She had stopped using it after her bone biopsy and had been on three legs for a few weeks as an infection needed to be cleared up before surgery could take place. She is at Auburn University and will participate in the vaccine study there for six days after her surgical team clears her. So I'm pretty anxious right now being home without her - her older sister who also has osteosarcoma in her front right leg (she was diagnosed in Dec) is also wondering where she is.

I have a couple of questions based on an update I received this morning from her vet student:

1. She spiked a fever of 104.5 between 2a and 4a today. Is this normal? When I talked to the vet student at 9a her temp had already come down to 103 and they expected it to come down even more by noon. Fingers crossed.

2. She won't eat for them. I know she can be picky and if she doesn't feel a little well, she won't eat. Even if she is late to eat at home, and her tummy feels queasy, she won't eat even if she is hungry. They aren't concerned, but is there a point when I should become concerned? 

3. She won't potty for them. A female dog without a rear leg will need some practice on squatting, right? I'm assuming she will figure this out? Anything I should be prepared for when she comes home? I'm guessing she will have figured this out before she comes home next week. 

Sorry for this rambling, anxiety filled post. 

Heather, Seka & Roxy

Los Angeles, CA
30 April 2014 - 11:48 am

Hello Heather,

I am so sorry about your Roxy (and her sister too). What a horrible thing to have two dogs battling this awful thing at the same time but bless your heart for all you are doing for them. 

My girl was a rear amp (different cancer) but I can weigh-in. She was able to squat to potty right away - sometimes she would lose her footing so I would kind of hold her amp side while she pooped for support (barely touching her). But she was 25 pounds or so, so a little dog. She had basically been using the 3 legs for a couple months prior to the amp so I think that helped her out. But they figure it out pretty quickly! Dogs are amazing that way. 

If she is still at the vet, I have heard that the stress can cause fevers to spike. If the vet isn't concerned then I would follow their lead. 

Shelby was always a healthy eater (hungry hungry hippo) and would get her money's worth at the vet by eating but I do know the pain meds can make them less interested in food. I know there are others than can weigh in on ways to get them eat (we never really had that challenge) but I wanted to offer my support. I just lost my girl 3 weeks ago so I know how terrifying this diagnosis can be and the first few days. We are ALL here for you.

Alison and her Shelby fur-ever in her heart.. 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

On The Road

30 April 2014 - 12:01 pm

Hi Heather, Seka and Roxy,

Welcome to the club nobody wants to join...and you are now coping with osteo again in your other dog? Oh my gosh! I'm soooo sorry. Is Seka a Grey too?

Rest assured, Roxy is getting pawesome care at Auburn. Vet care at university teaching hospitals is top-notch, we always recommend it!

Well, I'm hoping by now that her fever has come down. It's not uncommon for a post-op fever, especially if she was already dealing with an infection. It's something to keep an eye on but it sounds like they're monitoring it so try not to worry.

Lack of appetite and bowel movements is probably the most common post-op side effect we see here. The amputation surgery drugs do a whallop on both ends and most dogs have some issues in those departments. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you're able to get fluids in her for the first few days after she comes home. As long as she is on pain meds, things are gonna be a little funky. Keep your vets informed and if she's not eating anything at all (try stinky meats like liverwurst, venison, etc for best results!), with in 48 hours or so let your vet know. But whatever you do, stay strong and know that the recovery is only temporary, things DO get better!

Thanks so much for joining, your future posts wont' need approval.

P.S. DO tell more about Seka too, we'd love to read about your pack!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Idaho
30 April 2014 - 12:17 pm

As far as the poop/pee factor goes... Our Murphy is also a rear amp, however he is a male. Once the meds worked themselves out, he was able to resume making those huge piles in the back yard without too much of a problem. He just positions the opposite front leg back further in sort of a triangle formation. He is quite steady at this by now. I don't think there would be too much of a difference even though your Roxy is a girl. Murphy's circumstances were different from most here, as he had hip replacement surgery shortly after becoming a Tripawd, so we had him in a Webmaster harness for support. It didn't take long, though before he didn't need any extra help from the harness. You might consider using some sort of a sling for support until she gets her balance settled.

We look forward to hearing more about Roxy's progress and how you are doing in dealing with not one, but two dogs with OS. Oh, yes! We love pictures here.

Kathi and Murphy

Murphy is a five year old Lab/Chessie cross. He was hit by a car on 10/29/12 and became a Tripawd on 11/24/12. On 2/5/13, he had a total hip replacement on his remaining back leg. He has absolutely no idea that he has only three legs!

UPDATE: Murphy lived his life to the fullest, right up until an aggressive bone lesion took him across the Rainbow Bridge on April 9, 2015 and he gained his membership in the April Angels. Run free, my love. You deserve it!

Orrtanna Pa.
30 April 2014 - 12:40 pm

Bless you for all you are doing for your girls! I agree that they figure out the potty thing pretty quickly. A sling or( I used a canvas shopping bag with the sides cut out) can be helpful. A bit of canned pumpkin( not the pie mix, but plain pumpkin) can work wonders for the med induced bowel problems. (either way) She is probably a bit out of sorts just from being at the vets. She will get there. I am assuming that her sister is still on 4 legs? Yes, we LOVE pictures here! Keep us updated on how they are both doing. Lori and TY GUY

TY GUY, Best Black Lab ever! Diagnosed  and had amp in January, 2014. Kicked MRSA's butt. Earned his angel wings on April 16, 2014. Run Free my boy and don't forget a shoe. Ty is a proud member of the " April Angels". Ty sent us Daryl, a Tripawd rescue in Sept. of 2016. Daryl is 5 +or -. We are also Pawrents to Chandler, a Border Collie mix who is 15 and 1/2, Lucy, a Corgi who is 7, 2 minis, 2 horses, and a feisty cat named Zoe. Zoe had a non skeletal Osteosarcoma removed in July 2015. No Chemo, she was at least 16. She is going strong although she is now completely blind. She is now close to 20 and her hobbies are eating and sleeping in front of her personal heater. 

Ohio
30 April 2014 - 1:24 pm

Hi there..

So sorry you are dealing with this in both of your girls! my gosh! I wouldn't worry about the fever if the vet wasn't worried.. usually they will tell you when something is up and you need to be concerned. I know that Cody didn't eat a whole lot his first after amp when he was at the vet. I think the surroundings make them nervous. As far as peeing... I don't know if Cody did.. I know he did not poop. and I know when I picked him up and we left he peed foreverrrrrr as soon as we got out the doors, so that tells me he really didn't go a whole lot while he was there. Sorry if that's not very helpful! Good luck!!! Keep us posted!

Cody and Family

Cody is our 7 year old Australian Heeler mix boy. Diagnosed on 2/20/14 and became a tripawd 2/21/14! We chose a homeopathic approach and he is being treated by Dr. Loops our of NC.

30 April 2014 - 2:14 pm

Hello Heather, Seka, Roxy-

Welcome. The amp can be SO scary i think! The adjustment my dog made (back left amp) was remarkable. She was absolutely amazing, did so much better than I expected. That said, she did get a fever right after the surgery. They kept her a 2nd night to keep an eye on but apparently it's pretty normal and due to swelling post-surgery or something like that. Often they wont' eat due to all the drugs making them feel weird (my girl is piggy and ate from the get-go) but once all that anesthesia is out of the system she should do much better. I do believe her adjustment period will astound you.

I battled 18 months of trying So hard to figure out what was wrong w/my girl and despite the experts and every diagnostic test known to man and unsuccessful surgeries, treatments, injections, this is the absolute best thing that could have happened. We are 6 weeks out and after 2 weeks she was dragging us down the  street, wanting to play w/friends, toys, fetch balls, etc. She seems to have gotten younger and is full of energy. I know your girl will feel such relief she will be fine after the effects of the surgery wear off.

Best of luck to all of you and keep posting! It is very helpful.

~Jill & Ripple

Livermore, CA

30 April 2014 - 9:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Welcome. I'm sorry you have to deal with this sucky disease in both your girls.
My pug Maggie was also a left rear amp. She was a pug who had to spin before she would poop. After her amp she would try and spin but would fall down. She would give me a really pitiful look and I was sure I had done the wrong thing. But after about 6 days she figured out her balance and could spin and poop! Now I'm sure the pain meds had something to do with it, but she was so stubborn she just wouldn't do her business without the spin. Mag developed a stance like Murphy did, a triangle set that helped her keep her balance.
So she's staying at the vet until next week? She should be doing pretty well when you get her home. The nasty surgery meds will be out of her system, her pain meds should be dialed in, and she should have been walking enough to figure out her balance.
How are you treating Seka? Maggie's little sis Tani was diagnosed with mast cell cancer (same cancer that lead to the amp) a week before Mag finished her chemo. Tani is still around and still a quad pug, I am treating her with diet, herbs and supplements.

Pictures please!

Karen

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

1 May 2014 - 5:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thank you guys so much for the reassurance. I thought I had done enough research that I wouldn't be freaked out by the procedure itself, but I wasn't really ready for the post-op complications. 

Roxy's fever is now gone and she did potty. There was blood in her urine, but they think it was from her holding it for 24 hours and nothing to do with surgery complications. She has had a past history of blood in her urine when she overheats and her fever was 104.5 yesterday. They started antibiotics just in case. Still no eating, but the sweet vet students at Auburn bought her a chicken from the grocery to see if that would be enough to get her eating. She's pretty painful, but they are having to find the right mix to encourage her to eat. She's a pretty silly and special girl - she smiles with all of her teeth showing and loves to be loved on - so she's wrapped the vet students and her oncologist right around her little paw (she's only 54 lbs, pretty tiny for a greyhound). Her surgeon is all business - as you would expect, but she got some cuddles in to I hear. So this morning I am anxiously waiting for her vet student to call me and let me know how she did overnight. I'll post an update here as soon as I get one.

My oldest, Seka (10 years), was diagnosed in December. Her OSA is in her front right leg, but because of a deformed hip, she wasn't a candidate for amp. We only had palliative choices for her, but she is doing pretty darn good thanks to a VERY slow growing tumor. In fact, the oncologist at AU is so shocked by the slow progress. She has her bad days, but overall, she's still doing pretty well. We did four rounds of radiation, one round of pamidronate and one round of chemo. We had to stop the chemo because she became neutropenic and never bounced back. In fact, she is still neutropenic 10 weeks after her first and only carboplatin treatment. I have her on holistic treatments and we will probably do one more round of radiation next week, which she really responds well to. 

Thanks again! You guys are incredible! If we have to be a member of this club, at least it includes awesome support. I'm trying to figure out how to upload pics. I'll get some posted today.

Heather, Seka & Roxy

Livermore, CA

1 May 2014 - 8:26 am

Hi Heather,

Here is how you add photo's to your posts.

You know that Seka is part of our family now too, thanks for sharing more about her.  We have several member's with pups that were not candidates for amputation.  Sharing Seka's treatment and her success will help someone down the road.

Of course Roxy's recovery is the immediate concern.  She sounds like she is getting great care. 

I didn't see a link to this above, but Jerry's required reading list is a good source of info, and there are several ebooks you can download.

Be sure you have good traction for Roxy when she gets home.  Throw rugs or yoga mats work well in areas with slippery floors.  And you might consider raised food dishes if you don't already use them. 

Keep us posted on her progress.

Karen

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

2 May 2014 - 8:15 am

Update on Roxy. Yesterday was day 2 post amp and when the vet school calls and asks you to come and see her because she is so down, not eating and she has taken to biting the techs, well you know it must be not great. 

I saw Roxy yesterday for the first time. I was prepared for the bruising - despite four days of Amicar prior to surgery and they still have her on it. But I wasn't prepared for the swelling - EVERYWHERE. Yikes! I guess I didn't read close enough that all of her limbs and chest would have edema. She was pretty pitiful when she hopped into the room. And she showed that it did hurt to sit with a few screams for mom. She also showed her displeasure with just about everything when the surgeon came in. She must have been tops on Roxy's poop list. They all said that she is pissed off and that she does not like them. From talking with other greyhound amp moms - this is pretty normal greyhound behavior. 

I was able to get her to eat a little bit. I had her surgeon, oncologist, and two vet students in the room with me and we were all petting her. We all stopped at once and were talking and she started crying. I had to make sure they knew this was my little girl's diva behavior coming out. The horror of someone not petting her when she thinks she should be and NOT pain. It was good to see that spark and I know event though she is angry right now, she is still my girl. When it was time to go back to her kennel she jumped right up and hopped back with the vet student (NO screaming) and they all said - that's an improvement!

We talked about not entering her into the vaccine study because she was so unhappy there, but after talking with others who have been through this they encouraged me to leave her. She would most likely behave that way at home or there. It's just a greyhound thing. It probably wouldn't change over the next six days. So, even though I want to go get her, I made the decision to leave her and they are starting the vaccine study today and she will come home either Wednesday night or Thursday morning.  

The report from the oncologist this morning was much better. She was a bit brighter and met them at the front of her kennel this morning. They got her to eat a little bit of food - not much but more than nothing. 

I'm going to see her tomorrow and Sunday. If it helped, maybe a couple of more visits will help push through the next six days. 

It does get better, right?

Virginia

2 May 2014 - 10:56 am

Sorry so late getting to yourpost...but glad I came in on it when everything seemed a little vetter! YAAAAAY ROXY!!

AMDA HUGE YAAAAAAAAAAY for mom! Going throught ghis with twomof your beloeved souls!!! OMD!!

Just know we are here for you! You are not alone!!

Defnitel gong to visit her is important...I'm glad they recognized that. We have another dog here...Shilo...who jist had her leg removed and is in a vaccne study in Pennsylvannia. Be interestng if yo two could share notes. Shilo disn't jave to stay but a few days though and she goes back and forthnin intervals for her vaccne. Ask them if they are familiar with Penn. State's study. and if she could come home and go back and forth.

As far as my Happy Hannah, wo was home after just one night.....it toook me almost tjree weeks in recovery before stopped saying "What jave I done TO my dog?" amd finally wemt to celebrating what Ihad done FOR my dog!!!

If you think she's too stressed being there and that's complcating jer quality too much, yo could bring her home Sunday. You'll make the right decision because all your decisions are clearly out of love!!

Roxy sounds just delightful! I love hearing avout her spunk and her "diva" attitude! Great traits to have n this journey!

You jave incredible strength yourself Heather!! BRAVO!!! We are all cheering for you and all your pack!

Load up on chocolate and ice cream...it helps!!!

Sending lots of love and hugs!

Sally and Happy Hannah

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

2 May 2014 - 1:46 pm

Oh my gosh I'm just now catching up, wow! Poor Roxy, I hope she's doing better today. You know her so well, I'm glad you could distinguish between real cries and attention cries, that's very astute. How is she doing today? Sounds like the team caring for her is terrific. Don't you love vet students? Brilliant AND so enthusiastic and caring, what a combo.

Thanks for sharing the story about Seka. She's definitely a part of this family too, with or without amputation, we're here if you have any questions about her situation. Can you tell me, what does "neutropenic" mean? I'm not familiar with it.

3 May 2014 - 6:23 am

Hi everyone. We lost Roxy this morning. No one knows what happened. They checked her and walked her at 1:30a and everything was fine. Then at 2:45a she was gone. Everyone is shocked. They will do necropsy today. Not sure if we will get answers or not. Heartbroken. Thank you for all of your support these last few days.

Heather, Seka & Roxy

On The Road

3 May 2014 - 7:28 am

Oh NO! Heather my heart breaks for you and your pack, I'm so very, very sorry. This is so sudden and rare, I can't imagine what happened, she was getting such awesome care.

Please know you are in our hearts and thoughts, give Seka a big hug and smooch from us, we are here for you always. If you want to share more of her life story with us we would love to hear it, we hardly got to know her at all, it makes us so sad.

Lots and lots of love and condolences coming your way.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 192
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17884
Moderators: 6