TRIPAWDS: Home to 23132 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Riley Update - ELIAS Treatment - Jan 2024
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3 January 2024 - 11:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I'm sorry to say that Riley passed Dec 22nd.

I've been wanting to write about how his journey ended but I haven't been able to emotionally handle it.

As many of you know following his journey Riley was diagnosed in early March with bone cancer. He had his right front leg amputated and did the ELIAS treatment plan.

He did very well with the plan and was getting better and better everyday.

We had an x-ray scan of his whole body in late Sept and the vet said he didn't see any signs of cancer returning. We were all so happy as if we might be the exception to the rule and he might live to see his next birthday in March.

Then, unexpectedly in early Oct, he started to get sick with odd symptoms. He was throwing up, panting, and having episodes of not being able to control his back leg (it was like he would look at it, but it didn't respond the way he wanted).

His blood work all looked good. He had an x-ray of his chest which was clear to make sure the cancer wasn't back.

They gave him some steroid shots and meds and he seemed to bounce back. Then, after a week of getting better, it came back again and then went away again. It was like the flu or something.

Then, he got some type of staph infection on his foot that started to eat away his paw. It was horrifying and scary. Luckily, we found out what it was and started him on the right meds. After a month of wrapping his foot twice a day and helping him in and out of the house, lots of shots and meds, the foot was healing and the vet was so happy he could start walking without a wrap.

Then, in early December we noticed his breathing was a little more labored than usual. I figured it was because he was tired from having the infection, etc. After a few days, his breathing didn't sound better so I called the vet to make an appt the next day. That evening, he wasn't doing too well and we couldn't figure out why. Then, he went outside and there was blood in his urine. I knew it was a UTI.

Took him to the vet and got him some meds for the UTI and he was tired but moving around ok.

Then, 2 days later, he didn't seem like he was getting better at all and all of a sudden his back leg was acting weird. It was staying straight out like he had no control over what it was doing.

I took him back to the vet and they were confused about what was going on. Then, he suggested we do another chest x-ray because even though he didn't think it was cancer he just wanted to make sure. It had only been 5 weeks since his last x-ray.

Unfortunately, he came back and brought me back to the x-ray area. He started showing me that Riley had tumors everywhere inside his chest cavity. The cancer came back and was super aggressive. There was nothing we could do. The vet, me, my son, and the vet tech all cried and hugged Riley. His journey was ending. Their office had become close to him with all his visits.

The vet said he advised we euthanize him within a few days as he might not be able to breathe if the cancer grows more. We didn't want him to suffer. The vet offered to come to our home so Riley could be around family and in his bed.

We had one day before he passed and we tried to give him his favorite foods but he would only take a bite or two. We hugged him all day long and told him how loved he was.

On Dec 22nd the vet came in the early evening and with Riley surrounded by me, my wife and my son we held him while he passed. It was one of the hardest days of my life. I know deep down that I prevented him from suffering in the end, but I felt awful for having him put down. The vet told me it was the last gift I could give him. A peaceful transition.

I still keep catching myself setting food aside for him off my plate or thinking that I need to take him out. He was the sweetest dog that anyone could have ever asked for and I count myself lucky he was in my life.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and I knew the ELIAS program was a big swing. It cost a very large amount of money and was difficult to do, but it allowed him almost 9 months of laying out in the sun, eating his favorite foods, car rides, hugs, and kisses.

I do feel better knowing that I did all I could to help him.

I miss him so much it hurts and I will miss him the rest of my life.

I appreciate all the wonderful people who've been so helpful during this last year and I'm sorry for anyone who has to face what we did with their furbaby.

Thanks you

Bill (Riley's Dad)

Virginia

3 January 2024 - 12:12 pm

We are all crying with you right now.  So unexpected.   Riley is such a HUGE part of the Tripawd family for so many reasons.  He was a Warrior, a fighter and uet such a gentle  Soul.  

His hoomans  could  not have done more.....far. more than many could or would be willing to do.

We were informed on so many levels about treatment,  etc.  Most I'm thpugh, we were "informed" by the grace and wisdom Jo's hoomans shared  with us.  You are a role model for all of us on how to live in the moment, make every mom the best ever and to know when to release our beloved from failing earth clothes.

We are so very, very sorry.   Lots of tears flowing right now.   We know the void, the break in routine seems unbearable right now.  

I absolutely  believe with all my heart Riley will connect with you....in a very Rileu specific  way he will let you Angel his energy presence and let you know he is watching mover you.....just as you did him.

Surrounding you with all the Happy memories  you shared ......that's what matters.....that's what he want you to remember. We are all ao privileged  to get to know Riley♥️♥️  His life mattered.

((((((((Hugs))))))

Sally and Alumni Happy  Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

3 January 2024 - 12:52 pm

Benny55,

Thank you for your kind and supportive words. I cried the whole time I wrote my post. I didn't think I had anything left.

When I was holding him the last time I thanked him for how he brought so much joy to our family and told him that I would watch the front door now and he could rest.

About 10 days before he passed we had this unseasonably warm day here in Michigan. He was pretty tired, but I took one of his old dog beds and found a nice place in the backyard where the sun was on the ground. I felt like I had to make time to take him out and spend time with him in the sun. I didn't know why because at that time he seemed better.

We lay on his bed together soaking up the sun and hugging. I didn't know at the time it would be the last, but I will never forget that moment with him. We laid there for a good hour and I even took a selfie with him - lol. Now, I will have that picture forever.

Thanks again for all you do.

Bill

The Rainbow Bridge

3 January 2024 - 9:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bill, I'm speechless. My heart hearts for the loss of Riley, and all that you shared together in this lifetime. I'm so truly sorry. Thank you for finding the strength to let us know.

It's shocking how fast cancer can take away a loved one, without warning. Riley was such a champ through the whole amputation and treatment journey, and it was so clear from the beginning how much he meant to you and your family. You went to the ends of the earth for him, he was such a very lucky dog to be so loved.

I wish I had some words that could take the pain away, and help you grieve with less heartache. I just don't, this just hurts like hell and everyone here gets it. Time is all anyone who is grieving can go through to heal, and gradually remember more of the good times over the last few sad days. That picture of you two soaking up the winter sun is just so beautiful to imagine. It's how we all want to remember our precious animals before their spirit flies free. You and Riley had a one-of-a-kind bond that will remain eternal, he will always be in your heart.

sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2

4 January 2024 - 7:52 am

Jerry, Thank you for your kind words. As I've said over and over I'm so glad I found your site and how it has helped me during this difficult time. I tried so hard this past year to "live like a dog" and enjoy every moment I had with him. Looking back I feel I did try.

I hugged him and kissed him every morning with my usual greeting of "What's up my dude?" as he would hop around the corner into the kitchen.

I made special meals for him like hamburgers and chicken nuggets just for him during the middle of the day. Just a way to thank him and tell him he was loved.

On many occasions, I would hold him in my arms and we would run around the yard at the squirrels so he could feel like he was chasing them. Not easy with a 70-pound dog! lol

I think what I miss most is what we called "magnet head". We would kiss him on the side of his face and if he felt he needed more he would snap his head right back to your face so he could have more. I think he must have had over 1 million kisses over his 9 years!

Thanks again for having a place for people like me to find the support we need. Knowing I wasn't alone made it just a little better. It's the best community you never want to join.

I'm hoping to still contribute when I can to help others and I pray they continue to find ways to hopefully help dogs not get cancer and fight it more effectively when they do have it.

Thank you....

Bill (Riley's Dad)

Virginia

4 January 2024 - 10:08 am

Ohhh Bill, had some bittersweet tears, mostly sweet though,  reading about " magnet head".

Your care and devotion  truly knew no bounds.  I think everyone  reading about Riley wants to come back as  your dog!  The way you "helped" him chase squirrels was a priceless visual.

I'm glad you had that special day out in the Sun together.  It was a gift from him to you, and you to him.  "Dude" sure did know how to live in the moment and enjoy the bliss of being Riley....Dude....Magnet Head.

We love hearing  avout Riley and, when you are up to it, please post more about all his specialness.  And make no mistake about ot, he impacted us all in so many paws ways.  You both have already contributed in more ways than you know.

(((((((Hugs)))))))

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

PS....BTW.   Every dog has their own favorite foods cooked for them three times a day at The Rainbow Bridge.   Yes, Riley gets his hamburger and chicken.....but he also gets ice cream and cake for dessert....each and every time!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

The Rainbow Bridge

4 January 2024 - 10:19 am

You had me at Magnet Head. That is adorable and so touching. I'll bet that in his spirit form, he will still be a magnet stuck on you all the time! Sweet boy.

It absolutely sounds like you were living in the moment with him. The vision of you carrying him around the yard, cooking for him, and soaking up the sun, it's all such a beautiful thing to imagine in my mind. Dogs teach us to be better people, don't they? We just have to pay attention. And you did, and he will forever be so proud of you.

We are honored to have been part of your journey with Riley. So thank YOU my furiend. sp_hearticon2

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 244
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17883
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: