TRIPAWDS: Home to 23165 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Maggie's amputation 3/22
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Calgary, AB
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
25 March 2012 - 2:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Yay Maggie!! Keep up the great work on your recovery. It can be a tiring process, emotionally, mentally and physically but I just know that you and your folks are going to handle everything like Pros. I was super glad to hear that you gave your pawrents a sign that life was returning to normal, even on three legs, with taking your tennis ball outside. Seems like our humans like to see us getting back to our old behaviours. They even make a big issue out of poop and pee. Weird critters. We're just SO happy to be home and out of pain. Keep us posted and don't worry if you have a bad day here and there, we all did, that's why its called the recovery roller coaster.

Angel Tai.

Tai – 9 yr old lab. Diagnosed Osteosarcoma Dec 18/09. Front right leg amputated Dec 21/09. Started chemo Jan 7/10. Lung mets discovered Sept 16/10. Valiant to the end on Oct 26/10 when cancer reappeared in a leg and we made the decision to set her free. Forever in my heart where not even cancer can take her from me.

25 March 2012 - 3:01 pm

Happy to hear that all of you had a good night last night!! Maggie seems to be in good spirits so that is wonderful news. Things will only get better! Hope she continues to do so well. 

St. Louis, MO
25 March 2012 - 4:55 pm

Continued positive thoughts and prayers coming to Maggie!!!  You have an entire village (Tripawds Community) pulling for you!!!

Hugs and chocolate labby kisses,

Ellen & Charley

Charley's Blog:  CHOCOLATE KISSES

DOB: 3-29-08, male chocolate lab  
Dx: OSA L proximal humerus 10-19-10

Amputation: L front leg & scapula 10-28-10

Chemo: 5 rounds of Carboplatin

Video (12 weeks post amp):Tripaw Charley Playing

♥♥♥ Lots of supplements and love!!! ♥♥♥

25 March 2012 - 5:06 pm

Hang in there Silver, you and Rocket can be healing buddies together since his surgery was 2 days prior to yours. This forum is so wonderful for so many reasons but among the top is the support and warmth so badly needed at is time. I'm keeping up with your updates, so know that we are novices, but here with you too.

Power Paw in solidarity -- Rocket (and Lynda)

Houston, Texas
26 March 2012 - 6:44 am

I stayed with Maggie last night to let my wife get some good sleep.  Maggie had a restfull night except for one occasion.  She was moving and did a quick short cry.   She sleeps now as I write this short update.  Thanks to all for you kind words of encouragement.  I'll post another update later today.  I hope it goes as good as Sunday, maybe even a little better.

One question or advse.  How long should we give her 24 hour supervision?  I'm going to guess it's different with each pet, but I thought about asking.  Mags has the freedom of the home ( I don't cage her ) but she stays in one of two rooms for the most part.

Thanks again for your help and support......   Silver

Las Vegas, Nevada
26 March 2012 - 1:07 pm

Glad to hear Maggie is doing well!  I can't give you any advice on 24 hour supervision time frame. Good luck.

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

Calgary, AB
26 March 2012 - 1:51 pm

Its hard to say how long the supervision should go on for, its such a personal choice and really depends on your dog.. For Tai the quicker we got back to a regular routine they better she liked it. If I remember rightly we had her sleep near us for the first week to ten days then she just wanted to "go to bed" with our other dogs and fit back in to the pack.
The yelp was likely a result of her knocking or stretching her incision but watch for "phantom pain ". The phantom pain yelps scared the bejeepers out of me but there are excellent drugs available from your vet.

Tai – 9 yr old lab. Diagnosed Osteosarcoma Dec 18/09. Front right leg amputated Dec 21/09. Started chemo Jan 7/10. Lung mets discovered Sept 16/10. Valiant to the end on Oct 26/10 when cancer reappeared in a leg and we made the decision to set her free. Forever in my heart where not even cancer can take her from me.

26 March 2012 - 3:45 pm

Hi Silver, welcome! The choice of how long to stay with and supervise around the clock is really personal and depends on the dog and person. Cadence was one of those that recovered fast and did very well with minimal issue. She wore an Ecollar when we were not watching her and we put a white sheet down on the carpet so we could monitor any leakage or blood. We confined her to the room we call "the cozy", which is the only carpeted room on our lower level. We put a barrier up so she could not leave the room. Her surgery was on a Friday, we picked her up on Saturday early afternoon. She was slow and tired and high on meds, but already active, on the hunt for food. I took off work Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday to be with her at all times. She whimpered whenever I had to leave to go to the bathroom, take a shower, get ready etc. I did everything besides shower downstairs. I think most of her whimpering was due to being behind that barrier and due to that darn Ecollar! Then we had our good friend's 18 year old son and his cousin come and watch her the fourth day while we both worked. And then my husband was off Friday. At nights we both took turns sleeping downstairs on the couch with her on the floor with her ECollar on her. I cannot complain as it was really not that bad. The hardest part was her wanting to be so active so soon. She did have some sort of phantom pain I think because a few times she would be just laying there and would suddenly jump up like something bit her in the rear, gallop across the floor, nip at her backside, gallop back, and then lay back down again.

Then when it was the weekend again, of course we were with her, but then come Monday, we were back at work. We left the E-Collar on her during the day. She was still able to eat and drink with it on (awkwardly). I was still nervous but I had to go back to work So that's my story and I am sticking to it! smiley 

If you are nervous, you may want to confine her to one room with all of her comforts so she isn't trying stairs (if you have any). Some of them just try to do too much too soon. 

Cadence's Mom

Cadence Faye: Born 10/30/04, stepped into our hearts 12/23/2004. Rear leg tumor found 7/24/11 by mom and dad, Xray on 7/25/11, Osteosarcoma suspected 7/26/11, amputation 7/29/11, Carboplatin started 8/23. Met free so far! 

Houston, Texas
26 March 2012 - 10:26 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience it's good to know others are doing the same as my wife and me.  I'm just going to play it by instinct.  Stay with her a few more nights until we are comfortable she is OK. 

Maggie has had a very restful day an tonight she had several children in the neighborhood stop by  to give her pets and kisses.  She was delighted!!  She ate very well and stayed outside after until almost dark.  Did busniness really good and is showing signs of improved stamina.  All good for us to see.  We are just worried we are putting Mags through this for only months of life.  Praying for years !!

Silver

27 March 2012 - 12:16 am

I was worried about the same - did we do this for only a short time with her?  I still don't know the answer to that, but somehow - as she's getting back to normal we're just too busy enjoying her to think about it.  Today, Baby made it half way around the block (it's a long block that was always our normal walk) without stopping to rest.  All of a sudden, she's doing so well!

It sounds like Maggie's doing great!  I found when I was confident that Baby would let us know if she needed us I was able to leave her alone at night.  We did have her use a collar if we weren't there to watch her.  We got one of those inflatable  softer collars that was much more comfortable than the e-collar.  Baby's a rear amp, so the t-shirt didn't work. 

You guys are doing a great job caring for her!  Keep on healing!

Hugs and Wags

Judy and Baby

Houston, Texas
28 March 2012 - 8:13 pm

Just a quick update tonight... don't know if anyone still follows Maggie's journey.  She hit the wall yesterday and is very quite and pretty much to her own.  I knew this could possibly happen and it's into the second day.  I hope she will be more Maggie tomorrow!  This is sad to see, watch and manage.  Continuing to give her love, attention and encouagemet.  The only time she shows signs of being herself is when someone stops to see her.

Silver

Las Vegas, Nevada
28 March 2012 - 8:23 pm

Sorry to hear.  But it's pretty normal to have ups and downs during the recovery. This is why we all call the two week recovery, "the two weeks of hell".  What meds is she on?  That could be causing the problems too.

Hang in there.  One day at a time.   

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

St. Louis, MO
28 March 2012 - 8:59 pm

Hang in there!!!  The first 2 weeks are the roughest!  Maggie is healing and she needs time to recover.  Once her stitches or staples come out, she will feel so much better! 

Hugs and chocolate labby kisses,

Ellen & Charley

Charley's Blog:  CHOCOLATE KISSES

DOB: 3-29-08, male chocolate lab  
Dx: OSA L proximal humerus 10-19-10

Amputation: L front leg & scapula 10-28-10

Chemo: 5 rounds of Carboplatin

Video (12 weeks post amp):Tripaw Charley Playing

♥♥♥ Lots of supplements and love!!! ♥♥♥

krun15
28 March 2012 - 9:19 pm

Hi Silver,

My pug Maggie was not 'Maggie' for about 4 weeks, maybe a little more.  She just took her time to adapt to her new normal, but she got there.  If visitors perk her up- invite more over!  Just keep an eye on her that she doesn't get too tired.  Does she like car rides? Maybe do some short drives with her.  When the staples/sutures are out take her to the places she likes, even if she just sits and takes it all in.

We are just worried we are putting Mags through this for only months of life.  Praying for years !!

One of the gifts our cancer pups offer us is the ability to live in, and for the moment.  It is a hard gift to accept at times, especially when you are just starting down this path.  But for us days become more important than weeks, weeks more important than months, months more important than years.  It is truly about quality of life. 

I had two cancer journeys with my tri-pug Maggie.  The first time she was given 6 to 9 months- and I almost counted the days.  I finally realized that she was  living her life while I worried. I took that lesson to heart- don't miss what is in front of you.  I was so fortunate that she outlived that first prognosis.  When the second cancer came along I didn't even ask for a prognosis... I used the gifts I got the first go around and made every day we had together the best it could be.  She only lived 3 months- but they were quality days that I will always treasure.

All that said I hope you do have years with your Maggie- stay optimistic until there is a definite reason not to be.

Karen and the pugapalooza

New Zealand
28 March 2012 - 9:27 pm

I'll also add "hang in there" She WILL get better and be her old self soon but it is a major thing to recover from and will take time and as Cometdog said the meds could be making her feel pretty crap too.

Sarah

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 176
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1273
Members: 17912
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3