TRIPAWDS: Home to 13954 Members and 1566 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Chemo before radiation? | Treatment, Recovery and Oncology

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is the place to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.
JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

  • Instant post approval.
  • Private messages to members.
  • Subscribe to favorite topics.
  • Live Chat and much more!

REGISTER   |   LOG IN

Please consider registering
Guest
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Chemo before radiation?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Forum Posts: 62
Member Since:
17 February 2017
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
3 March 2017 - 6:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

So… long story which I will update on this link a bit later (http://tripawds…..iotherapy/), but we are going back to UF next week for stereotactic radiation (SRT).  If you’re not familiar with it, it’s statistically as good as amputation and saves the leg (with the risk of fracture).

We just got thrown another tough decision.

Background… Bree, our 10 year old black lab, was diagnosed with OSA back in January.  We went to UF for SRT, but had a hiccup in the diagnoses so started carboplatin Feb 2.  Much longer story, but we decided on amputation instead before getting thrown off that road (again, I’ll update more later).  So now we’re back to SRT.

The carboplatin protocol is 21 days, extendable to 28 days.  Today is day 29.  Again, the delay requires more explanation (we were waiting to amputate, which isn’t happening), but we have 2 options now:

1.  Do carboplatin tomorrow (day 30).  We have a local vet who can do it (way cheaper than UF).  This keeps her mostly on schedule.  However, we will do stereotactic radiation next Wed-Fri (days 4-6 post carboplatin).  Doing chemo prior increases the risk of side effects (skin rash, gastrointestinal upset), though this all should be temporary.  SRT would require her to feel ok, though we noticed no side effects from the last chemo dose.  Also, if there are any complications from anesthesia, such as pneumonia (very low risk), doing chemo prior would lower the white blood count and impair her recovery.

2.  Do carboplatin next Friday (day 36) at UF.  There would be less risk of side effects.  But it is off the chemo schedule a good amount.  UF also costs a lot.

3.  Do carboplatin locally the Monday after (day 39).  We *may* be able to do it locally on Saturday (day 37), but not sure since the Dr who does chemo is off that day.

The UF oncologist originally said plan 1 would be fine (the plan we liked, before knowing of the side effects) but she’d confirm with radiation oncologist.  She called back this afternoon and said the radiation Dr preferred plan 2 because of the side effects, and the oncologist now officially recommends plan 2.  She said she wasn’t too concerned about changing the chemo schedule because “a lot of people do it”, but did admit when I asked that it could risk some spread of the cancer.  Plan 3 just saves us money.

I should add that plan 1 was basically what we started doing for the 1st chemo dose (chemo followed by SRT the next week) before getting the diagnosis hiccup.  Another Dr had originally been fine with that plan, so whatever side effects could happen, it doesn’t seem to be too concerning.

UF will work with us on any plan, as long as she is feeling ok for SRT.

Thoughts?

Germany
Forum Posts: 526
Member Since:
14 December 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
4 March 2017 - 3:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

To be honest: you lost me there. I am not sure how important it is to stick to the Chemo protocol to the day. My vet here didn’t seem too concerned about being off a couple of days. So with this I would go with the version with the least side-effects. 

I am always concerned about anesthesia so I probably wouldn’t have gone with srt if for that reason only so it’ll be interesting to hear what happened that you opted out of surgery! 

Guardian of Manni the Wonderdog. -Or was it the other way around?
Osteo and amputation in Dec 2015. Second, inoperable, primary osteosarcoma found in June 2017.
The end of our adventures came Dec 10, 2017. 2 years to the day.

Manni's blog -dogblog-

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 597
Currently Online: kaisu
73
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1035
Members: 9326
Moderators: 2
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 4
Forums: 23
Topics: 15542
Posts: 217852
Administrators: admin, jerry, jim
Moderators: betaman, krun15
Tripawds is brought to you by Tripawds.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG