TRIPAWDS: Home to 22969 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12/19 D-Day for Surgery
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
17 December 2014 - 11:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

To say I've been riding a roller coaster these past two days would be a large understatement!  Our beloved Golden Retriever, Molly, was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma - I had never heard of this type of cancer and just to share with the group it is cancer of the peripheral nerve sheath.  This tumor became evident almost overnight on Molly's right front leg.  We responded quickly with surgery to remove the tumor however; once they got in there, they found that a major nerve was running right through the middle and so they could not get all of the it.  They warned us that it would grow back and unfortunately we did not make it long before the tumor reared it's ugly head again.  Thus the planned surgery to remove her limb this Friday.

I have gone from being composed and confident to a bawling mess.  Molly and I spent time last night and I swore by the way she was looking at me, she knew something big is about to happen.  How do I shake the feeling that I'm making a horrible decision....crying

Livermore, CA

17 December 2014 - 1:25 pm

Welcome to Tripawds, your future posts will not have to wait for approval.

I'm sorry cancer has brought you here- we have several members that have experience with nerve sheath tumors.

Does the vet think she is a good candidate for surgery? Is she otherwise healthy and happy?  Has the cancer spread anywhere? Will amputation be curative? Then you are not making a horrible decision.  As fast as that tumor is growing it will soon rupture the skin and cause a very painful wound that might never heal. 

Take time now to be the bawling mess (but not in front of Molly) and read up here and get support here for the new journey you are about to embark on.  You are taking away a painful leg that is not going to heal, and giving Molly a chance and more quality time with you.

When do you shake the feeling about the decision? For me it wasn't until weeks after tripug Maggie's surgery (happened before Tripawds).  She was a stubborn little thing that took weeks to get used to her new normal.  Most pups bounce back in two to three weeks.  You may spend some time during recovery regretting your decision- but don't get discouraged.  Once healed up Molly will be the same girl you have had by your side.

Karen and Spirit Maggie

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Mystic, CT
17 December 2014 - 2:55 pm

My heart is in my hands praying that Molly and you fight the beast successfully. 

My golden Blaze is scheduled 12/23 for his surgery to remove his front right leg too. 

Healing thoughts.

mary and Blaze

17 December 2014 - 6:29 pm

Does the vet think she is a good candidate for surgery? Is she otherwise healthy and happy?  Has the cancer spread anywhere? Will amputation be curative? Then you are not making a horrible decision.  As fast as that tumor is growing it will soon rupture the skin and cause a very painful wound that might never heal. 

Karen and Spirit Maggie

Answering your questions, Karen, made me realize that I need to trust the professionals in their recommendations and believe they have Molly's best interests in mind.  Molly is healthy otherwise, not even a case of arthritis....and as far as we know the cancer has not spread.  I find myself looking at her and thinking worst possible scenario and that this will break her spirit.  

I also have a 5 year old daughter that has incredible bond with Molly....any advice on how to share this information with her without completely scaring her??

Virginia

17 December 2014 - 7:36 pm

You have come to the right place for first hand informauon and incredible support!! Roller coaster ride....nightmare...sobbing non stop...second guessing constantly...scared out of your mind...1,000 what ifs.....yeah...we've all been there and understand completely!!!!!!

Yes, this is major surgery and it does have risks. Yet almost everyone here decided to take that risk to give our pups and cats THE best possible chance at a pain free QUALITY life!!!! It's a "foreced choice"...but it's a choice that we make coming from a place of love.....and that is always a "right" decision.

Seeing my Happy Hannah walk out of the hospital, tail wagging the whole time was a HUGE releif.....momentarily! She whined and cried and paced and never slept one week for ninteen hours straight. I was PETRIFIED!!! I did NOT have a good support system in place with the place that did all the surgery. No idea what I was in for! I could not believe I did this TO my dog!! It was six days before I joined this community and held onto them for dear life! I learned sooooo much about recovery, what to expect, etc.

Once Happy Hannah's sparkle started coming back...once she got up to greet me at the door...once she started rolling over on her back for tummy rubs....I realozed I did this FOR Happy Hannah!!!

Some dogs have a slower recovery than others...some much faster...every dog is different!!

Others can chime in about how to prepare your five year old. It's just jave dogs! I think you'll be amazed at how she really pays no attention. Of course the surgery site will be visible and her fur will be shaved, but I doubt that will bother her. In her mind, it's just. Big "boo boo". Perhaps you could show her some videos of dog running around on three legs. Goodness knows, we have plenty of them here!!

If you jave hardwood floors, scatter rugs are great to prevent slipping. If a lot of stairs to go outside, a ramp may be helpful.

You think you've loved a spoiled Molly before? HA! The loving and spoiling that can be bestowed on a tripawd.....infinite!!!

One thing that always helps with pre-surgery jitters....CHOCOLATE!!! Eat tons of chocolate! And top each meal off with a bowl of ice cream! Yeah, you and Molly both can share then ce cream!!!

Any questions, concerns, we're here!! And remember, Molly isn't worried about a th i ng!!! Dogs are GREAT at acceptance and getting on with living lie to the fullest!!
Molly sounds like she has NO intention of throwingi in the towel!! She's ready to embrace every adventure life has to offer!!! Would LOVE to see photos of sweet Molly! Take tons of pictures! We love pictures around here!!

CHOCOLATE......YUM!!!!!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!
STAY CONNECTED TO US!! You are not alone, okay?

Karen and Pug Maggie gave you some great information.

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

17 December 2014 - 7:48 pm

nhampto said
How do I shake the feeling that I'm making a horrible decision....

Try to be more dog.

Forget your human emotions for a moment and work with your vets to determine the best treatment option for Molly. Bookmark Jerry's Required Reading List for lots of helpful links or consider downloading the Tripawds e-books for lots of information to alleviate your concerns. It sounds like she will do well!

Best wishes with the decisions you face. Please keep us posted.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

17 December 2014 - 8:47 pm

Hi Molly's mom,

Okay, this may sound a little airy fairy but I do it and it works for me. After Mona had her amputation I took her to my "alternative" vet who is a DVM who practices chinese medicine and chiropractic care. She told me I need to talk to Mona every day to explain what happened and why we removed her leg.

Okay, I know when I did this, Mona was says, "What leg? Just brush me, will you?" I quickly realized that by saying it aloud to her that I became clear and accepting in myself that I had her leg amputated to save her life. I love her and I want her to live pain free and cancer free.

When I first started saying this aloud I still felt my heart break when hearing her thump when she walked. Soon after my heart would only warm hearing her walk because it is her walk of life. It does get better.

The more you talk about it with Molly, it will become more clear and you'll find it easier to tell your daughter.

Wishing you and your family all the best over this holiday season.

Kerren and Mona

On The Road

17 December 2014 - 8:56 pm

Aww I'm sorry to hear this. Just know that not a single person here hasn't had second thoughts right before surgery, it's in human nature to question big decisions like this. But boy it sure does sound like she will do great on three legs. When you see after recovery how happy she is to get rid of that bum leg, and how well she gets around, all doubt will disappear.

About kids...I don't have any of my own but other members do. My best advice is to show your daughter our videos of dogs getting around and doing great things on three legs. And here are some forum posts that will help.

Osteosarcoma, Amputation Surgery Tuesday, two young kids, advice welcome

Tripawd recover w/small children-advice???

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

17 December 2014 - 9:21 pm

KERREN AND MONA.... "Soon after my heart would only warm hearing her walk because it is her walk of life. It does get better."...That's BEAUTIFUL!!! :Thank yoi!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

18 December 2014 - 12:35 pm

Thank you to everyone who has commented....let me say that I am so glad I researched and found this site!  As my family and I anxiously await tomorrow's 8am appointment, I will stay busy with providing the royal treatment to our Golden Molly! 

I have finally updated my avatar...this is a picture of my husband and our Mollydog as we call her!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Cynthia Lindgren
Guest(s) 219
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17732
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: