TRIPAWDS: Home to 23112 Members and 2160 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Tip to stop licking! Works 100%
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Raymond, NH
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14 September 2010 - 6:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi Tripawd Pawrents!

It occured to me that I might have a useful tip for some of you to keep your dog's from licking their incision site and you DON'T need to use the cone!

With all of Ella's surgeries I have kept her from licking by using Tea Tree Oil, it is an antispetic completely natural and to a dog it smells and tastes horrible! I rub it  a few inches from the incision site, I think it could burn a little if you get it on a fresh wound so try not to get it on their incision- don't worry just a little any where near it will work!  It is an antiseptic used for wounds so if you do get a little on I wouldn't panic, I use it for my scrapes etc, without problem. The smell and taste will keep them away all day, I have used it on all my fur kids for years and it has always worked 100%.

You can get Tea Tree Oil at the health food store and even most grocery stores, a small bottle is around $10.00 and last for years. It's a handy thing to have on hand and it beats the cone of shame any day!

Angie (Ella's mom)

14 September 2010 - 6:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I wish there was a "Like" button like in Facebook.... anyway Chloe "LIKES" (thumbs up)

-Chloe's mom

Chloe became a rear amp tripawd on 7-29-10. Another tumor was removed on front leg 2-20-14. Found 3rd tumor on neck 2-2015, but she's still kicking cancer's butt at age 14. Chloe's blog

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
14 September 2010 - 6:58 pm

I use a spray from Vet + Best that is tea tree oil based to stop the itch when Trouble's allergies kick up.  It does stop the licking just about immediately.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Las Vegas, Nevada
14 September 2010 - 8:18 pm

That's great to know - thanks for the tip!

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

San Jose, CA
15 September 2010 - 2:41 am

WOW!!  Thanks for the tip.  I'm going to order mine now!  🙂

~ Mika's mom (aka Mari)

Golden Girls
15 September 2010 - 8:41 am

Yes, thanks for the tip! Chloe is suffering from allergies at the moment, so she has the itchy-scratchies (which drives us nuts during the night). We'll have to get some!

Cathy

On The Road

15 September 2010 - 10:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

serenityisadog said

… get Tea Tree Oil at the health food store and even most grocery stores …

Great tip, thanks! We plan to look into this further and post more details in the Nutrition blog soon. Meanwhile, here are a couple good sounding products we found online …

Herbal Mist Spray with Tea Tree Oil for Dogs
Herbal Mist Spray with Tea Tree Oil for Dogs

PetSupplies.com

Herbal Mist Spray with Tea Tree Oil for Dogs Herbal Mist Spray contains natural tea tree oil, aloe vera and other botanicals to soothe, nourish and condition the skin.

Tea Tree & E Oil 1 Oz
Tea Tree & E Oil 1 Oz
HerbsPro.com

Tea Tree & E Oil "medicine kit in a bottle". Vitamin E and Tea Tree Oil provide an effective all natural therapy for cuts, scrapes and insect bites.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

15 September 2010 - 10:32 am

What a great tip!  Zuzu is getting spayed today, so I think I'll head over to the health food store to pick some up.  Anything to avoid the cone of shame ! Thanks!

Holly joined the world of tripawds on 12/29/2009. She has a big little sister, Zuzu, who idolizes Holly and tries to make all of her toys into tripawds in Holly's honor. And she's enjoying life one hop at a time!

http://anyemery.....ipawds.com

Raymond, NH
15 September 2010 - 11:12 am

Just a thought.....I always use straight tea tree oil, I am not sure if it is 'mixed' or diluted if it will work the same?? It wiould still work great I am sure as an antiseptic and itch relief but it might not stop licking if it's not straight.

Angie (Ella's mom)

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: benny55, victoria_4
Guest(s) 271
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17866
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3