TRIPAWDS: Home to 23102 Members and 2159 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Odin, our 5 year old 185lb Mastiff had amputation surgery today
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Virginia

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
23 March 2021 - 7:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Best video of big dogs rocking  it in three!!!!😁😁👏👏👌👌👍👍

So thrilled to read this spectacular  update!  Happy grin allmover my face!  Yes indeedy. Odin is a huge inspiration for any big dog starting  this journey 😎

♥️♥️♥️

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

29 August 2023 - 1:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi Everyone! It's been a long time and I'm happy to report that Odin has had clean check ups and chest xrays the past two plus years since his surgery and chemo! He's still our lovable big boy and now has a little brother to watch out for (our 2 year old!) 

I also realize I had Odin's age wrong originally in this post - he'll be 9 this coming November! With his age, he's slowing down quite a bit. The cancer seems to be under control but he's been struggling with walking and standing up for long periods. It's a shame that this is what is stopping him from being active or agile. Does anyone have any tips for assistance for such a large breed? We have a sling and harness but wondered if there are any other gadgets or support, or even supplements that might help. Thanks! 

Virginia

29 August 2023 - 5:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

YAAAAAAAAAAAY. FOR. ODEN!!!👏👏

SPECTACULAR  UPDATE!!!!👏👏👏

Oden is sich an Amvassafpdor of hpHipe for reallh large dogs and who are "mature"👍

I have no doubt  this ge tle giant is an excellent  pal for your toddler.  Would love to see some pictures of the two together.

Not any help on harness assistance.  Have you tried Adequan injections  for the stiffness, the arthritis?  There's a supplement  suggested by our volunteer Vet called.  Type II collagen supplement called Flexadin    Also, there is a new supplement/pill that has recently been approved kn the States.  One of our members  used it in the UK and had remarkable results.  Jist cant remev3r the name.....will try and find it.

Thanks so much fornthe glorious update.  We all need reasons to hope....especially  when it comes to big puppers.

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

29 August 2023 - 6:55 pm

Coincidentally, we named our son Benjamin and we typically call him Benny 🥰 Odin and Ben are buds for sure - it's the first thing Ben asks for in the morning, "Bubba", and they do sing and howl together. I can't figure out how to share the cute video. I'll keep trying! 

Odin has surpassed all of our hopes and dreams with his recovery and progress. We're so grateful for the decision we made to make him a tripawd. We feel so good that we were able to prolong his life. Now we'll focus on keeping his quality of life up where it needs to be through his senior years. Thanks for the tips and would love to hear more about what you shared! I also did a little research about some "wheels" for Odin. We might consider that (they do seem a bit expensive) but would love to try some other things first. 

The Rainbow Bridge

30 August 2023 - 12:13 pm

WOW! Super hoppy to see Odin is doing so well! And how adorable that he has a little brother too! ADORABLE!

Sharing the video is easiest if you upload it to YouTube first, and then share the video URL here. If you don't want to do that, you can email me a link to the video (store it in Google Drive or something similar) and I'm happy to upload it to our YouTube channel and share it here.

Does anyone have any tips for assistance for such a large breed? We have a sling and harness but wondered if there are any other gadgets or support, or even supplements that might help. Thanks! 

I also did a little research about some "wheels" for Odin. We might consider that (they do seem a bit expensive) but would love to try some other things first. 

Remind me, has Odin been evaluated by a rehab therapist? If not, did you know the Tripawds Foundation can pay for your first rehab visit ? It would be a huge help, as they are the best ones to guide you on safe and helpful exercise, activities, and whether or not he needs a dog wheelchair . Please don't buy wheels until you meet with a therapist. The wrong size of wheels, wrong fit, etc., can do more harm than good.  An evaluation is the way to go and it'll be free too so you've got nothing to lose.

Two years is just incredible. I'm so happy for you and Odin!

31 August 2023 - 4:25 pm

Wow!  Reading about Odin really gives me hope that my Saint can beat the odds and be around for a while.  

i am trying a full leg prosthetic from a company called 3D Pets.  The leg is currently being built for her so i can’t speak to how well it’s worked for my girl.  But take a look at their tik tok or Instagram pages.  Many dogs seem to really take to it.  

they also do wheels so the prosthetic isn’t the only option.  

https://instagr.....BiNWFlZA==

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 179
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17855
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3