TRIPAWDS: Home to 22974 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Zeus amputation tomorrow 11/19
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
18 November 2015 - 6:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi everyone....

Im scared about tomorrow, I keep rubbing and playing with Zeus leg, trying to image it gone, I cant. I feel like Im disfiguring him but I know its necessary. I hope it goes smoothly and I havent even thought about post surgical complications or even the dangers of anesthesia. Please someone talk to me....

Deb

18 November 2015 - 7:16 pm

I also need to know the best harness to help with his recovery.

Livermore, CA

18 November 2015 - 7:51 pm

Hi Deb,

Its normal to be a bit scared- you guys are facing a whole new normal. Chat is down for maintenance- but you could call the Helpline Here is the Number

Is Zeus losing a front or back leg?  For right after surgery you can use a cloth shopping bag cut down the seams- the handles are build in.

Think of it this way... you are doing this FOR Zeus not to him.  You said it, it is necessary.

Karen

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Los Angeles, CA
18 November 2015 - 8:08 pm

Hi Deb,

Like Karen said - you are not alone. It is a hard decision to make but try and remember you are doing this FOR Zeus, not too him. I also was grieving the loss of the 'leg' but dogs don't think like that. they just live in the moment and the second you see him after surgery and realize that he's pain free and he doesn't miss or grieve that leg,  you will feel better!!! It is very scary but dogs (and cats) don't miss the leg. They adapt and it's amazing to see and you will be so amazed!

Like Karen said, please feel free to call the hotline .... we are all here for you. Keep us posted!

Hugs,

Alison with Spirit Shelby in her heart

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

18 November 2015 - 9:00 pm

Thank u friends and I will update tomorrow after surgery.

love,

deb, zeus and belle

Green Bay, WI

18 November 2015 - 9:11 pm

Hi Deb, we're here for you, every step of the way. It's a scary and stressful time for you right now...take a breath. One step at a time.

The harness we recommend is the Ruff Wear harness by webmaster. Our Dobe Nitro is a front amp, and this harness saved our lives. We put it on him from the minute we picked him up (over a t-shirt). Did you call the helpline? I'm on "duty" with it tomorrow from 9am-noon central time if you need to talk. Good luck, sending prayers your way tonite.

Paula and Nitro

Nitro 11 1/2  yr old Doberman; right front amp June 2014. Had 6 doses carboplatin, followed by metronomic therapy. Rocked it on 3 legs for over 3 years! My Warrior beat cancer, but couldn't beat old age. He crossed the Bridge peacefully on July 25, 2017, with dignity and on his terms.  Follow his blog entitled "Doberman's journey"

http://nitro.tripawds.com

"Be good, mama loves you".....run free my beautiful Warrior

18 November 2015 - 9:39 pm

Good luck Zeus, and Mom!!  I can totally relate to the anxiety you are feeling.  We are almost 2 months post-amputation with our dog and don't regret anything for a second.  It's a terrible position to find yourself in, but once you have to face the choice of amputation, no looking back - Zeus won't look back!  I hope this site gives you as much reassurance and support as it did for me.  We'll be waiting for an update when you can.

Sending tons of good vibes your way!

Cindy and Maggie

19 November 2015 - 8:19 am

Hi, Zeus!!  You got this!  You all will be in our thoughts today.  I was so fearful of having my Mollie Moo's front leg amputated.  It was the best (and hardest) decision I made.  She is no longer in pain and has recovered well!  Ask any questions you need answers to.  The wonderful people on this wonderful site, gave us so much useful information and emotional support!

We are rooting for you Zeus!!!!! 

Love~Mollie Moo and Family

clapclapclap

Schofield, WI
19 November 2015 - 9:09 am

Will be thinking about Zeus today and sending healing thoughts his way.  We also used the Ruff wear harness by webmaster for our rear leg amp Max.  Worked well.  Dobemom actually borrowed us hers to use until we could get our own.  Try to remember you are doing this to get Zeus out of pain.  You are doing this out of love!  Once you have him back home try and stay in the moment and celebrate his victories day by day.  Stay close to us here and we will help you through each day.  We've got this!

Linda & Max

Michigan
19 November 2015 - 9:24 am

The waiting is so hard!  I had to work the day Murphy had his surgery and thankfully it was a busy day.

The ruffwear harness is what we use for Murphy, too, and it works great with the handle on top.  It does slip sometimes since he doesn't have the one leg to hold it in place, but it works.

Remember that you're doing this FOR Zeus, not TO Zeus.  Your doing this to get him out of pain, to help him live a better, pain-free life as long as he can. 

The first couple of weeks will be the toughest, but you'll get through it.

Donna

Donna, Glenn & Murphy 

Murphy had his right front leg amputated due to histiocytic sarcoma at 7 years old. He survived 4 years, 2 months & 1 week, only to be taken by hemangiosarcoma at 11 1/2 years 6/12/17  
Read about Murphy's Life on Three Legs

Donna.png

On The Road

19 November 2015 - 10:22 am

We hope things go great today, keep us posted!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

19 November 2015 - 5:28 pm

Deb...hoping all has gone well for Zeus today!  None of us face this surgery without fear...but once done and past the first couple of weeks post surgery when it can seem like a roller coaster ride with highs and lows, you will know you made the right decision for your handsome boy.  And the most important thing to remember is that Zeus won't miss that leg at all once he gets the hang of moving on 3 legs...dogs adjust so much faster and better than most humans do....he will amaze you.  

Sending lots and lots of good wishes for an easy recovery.

Trini and my Sketchie Boy

Livermore, CA

19 November 2015 - 7:41 pm

Looking for an update, hoping all went well today.

Karen

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

21 November 2015 - 4:01 pm

I'm so sorry this took so long, my update. Zeusy did well! He's he's almost 3 days post op and he hadn't eaten yet so I had to bring him chicken cottage cheese yogurt and soft treats for him. Vet called ans said he started to eat! He also is showing better mobility and "trotted" outside today, that's my boy! He's like a little horse! I have the dog walkers starting tomorrow night for the next two weeks per vets directions. I hope he's allowed to go home. I didn't see him yet as to not get him upset. I will take pics and post. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and Zeus' for welcoming us into the community, I enjoy reading about everyone's Tripawds and look forward to continue knowing you!!!

laughingDeb, Zeus and Belle

Oakland, CA
21 November 2015 - 5:49 pm

No need for apologies! This is a crazy time for you! That is such great news that Zeus is doing so well. How long will he be at the vet's? Wishing Zeus (and you) a smooth and speedy recovery!

xoxo,

Martha, Codie Rae, and the Oaktown Pack

Woohoo! Tripawds Rule!

Regulator of the Oaktown Pack, Sheriff of the Oaktown Pawsse, Founding member and President of the Tripawd Girldogs With 2 Names ROCK Club, and ... Tripawd Girldog Extraordinaire!

Visit Codie Rae's Blog!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Edward_1
Guest(s) 230
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17735
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3