Join The Discussion
Learn about life on three legs in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free to take advantage of member benefits:
- Instant post approval.
- Private messages to members.
- Subscribe to favorite topics.
- Join the Live Chat and more!
The Tripawds Library
Download Tripawds e-books for fast answers to common canine recovery and care questions!
A A A
7 June 2018
Hi all. As my username says, I have 3 dogs, all northern breed/GSD mixes.
My girl is my heart. The only one I have had since she was a little puppy. She turned 8 in March.
She has a history of bad hips, on adequan, golden paste, glucosamine. Has had acupuncture and laser for it in the past. They have been bad for a long time, it’s not new. All of my dogs are fed a raw diet, and aside from her hips have had excellent health.
She started limping in the front last week, it got worse over the weekend. We ended up at the E vet on Sunday, she was sedated and lots of X-rays were done. The E vet pointed out a possible bone spur on her left shoulder, and sent the films to a radiologist. The sent us home with carprofen 75 mg twice daily, which seems to be helping.
My world changed Monday afternoon. Another vet at the emergency clinic called me. All I remember hearing was right foot, cancer, additional testing, follow up with primary vet. I immediately called our primary vet, who is amazing.
On Tuesday, I dropped the drive with the films off at our vet, and was able to speak with her. We talked about next steps, and she mentioned that metatarsals are an unusual place for a dog to get osteosarcoma, so a further workup is indicated.
She has an appointment this afternoon for a battery of blood tests. Next wednesday I drop her off fasting early morning for further xrays, fine needle aspiration, etc. Then we go from there.
My heart is breaking. I know she is uncomfortable, and in pain at times. We are doing leash walks for bathroom breaks only, which is hard, because in the cool of the morning and evening, she really enjoys to be outside.
I tried using the search feature, but couldn’t find an exact match. Does anyone have any experience with a dog having a bone tumor in one of their front foot bones/metatarsal?
25 April 2007
I tried using the search feature, but couldn’t find an exact match…
Exact match for what?
Osteosarcoma most commonly presents away from the elbows or toward the knees, so the location is not that unusual. Regardless, an aspirate would be a wise next step. For best results, consider consulting with a board certified veterinary oncologist.
While you wait for comments from others, you can use the Advanced Search above to refine your forum search results with specific phrases, and you’re sure to find lots of helpful feedback. You can also search all blogs here . Or, consider downloading the Tripawds e-books for fast answers to common concerns and feel free to call the toll-free Tripawds Helpline anytime!
What is your girl’s name? Please keep us posted. Your future forum posts will not require moderation.
22 February 2013
Just want to send you all the best wishes in the world for a good outcome for your girl. What’s her name?
Glad you are getting additional work up done to see what’s going on so you can develop a plan.
And I know this sounds scary to you, but IF….IF……an amputation is neede, we’ve seen dogs do very well even with hip issues, arthritis, etc.
Aounds like you’re doing a good job of managing her pain and monitoring jer activity . If the Rimadyl isn’t sufficient, ask about adding Tramadol or Gabapentin to the mix.
Keep us posted, okay? We’re right here by your side,,okay?
Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!
Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!
21 May 2018
welcome! Even though no one really wants to be welcomed to this club 🙁
Our boy has so-so hips and had a front leg amputated a week ago. he’s doing well do far.
We did an aspirate and it came back in-conclusive, just blood. So talk to the vets to see what the end treatment would be, whether its cancer or not. Even a benign mass causing pain might require that part of the paw be removed, if the mass just can’t be.
Also, if they do just remove part of the paw she could probably get a cool fake leg since there would be a stub.
Can you see any noticeable lump?
I would try to get in with an oncologist asap. What x rays are they doing next week that they didn”t do already?
Most Users Ever Online: 597
Currently Online: tinsch
Currently Browsing this Page:
Devices Used: Desktop (35), Phone (3)
Guest Posters: 1005