Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat
Tripawds is the place to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.
JUMP TO FORUMS ↓
Join The Tripawds Community
Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:
What does it mean to Be More Dog?
Find out in Be More Dog: Learning to Live in the Now by Tripawds founders Rene and Jim. Learn life lessons learned from their Chief Fun Officer Jerry G. Dawg! Get the book and find fun gifts in the Be More Dog Bookstore.
Hi,I am new on the blog but have been using the Tripawds site for guidance since Dec 2014. Does anyone have their pup on the Artemisinin combo? I started my Rotti (Gurlee) on Sat June 6th.She has done ok until her 11:30pm dose last nite(6-11).Approx 1.5hrs after meds she vomited.Has anyone else had this problem? I could use some guidance from anyone who has used this mixture. Charlie60
25 April 2007
Hi Charlie! I'm SO sorry, we just now saw your post here. How is your girl doing now? Did you ever figure out why she vomited?
My biggest recommendation is to work with a holistic minded vet when doing any kind of supplements like this. If you're not using one, let us know where you are and we can help you locate a good one near you.
Thanks again for joining, I'm so sorry for the delay in responding.
17 May 2014
Charley the chocolate lab (chocolate kisses blog) was on Artemisinin . You may want to check what his protocol was and use it as a guide.
good luck with your girl!
Daniela & Johnnie
Our awesome Golden Boy was diagnosed for OSA in April 2014 in the proximal humerus, front-leg amp on 05/20/2014. Finished chemo (Carbo6) on 07/10/2014. Ongoing treatment: acupuncture + K-9 Immunity Plus ( 3chews) and home-cooked no-grain diet. Stopped Apocaps because of liver issues. Liver issues: controlling altered enzymes with SAM-e and Milk Thistle. October 17: started having seizures. Taking fenobarbital for seizures. April 18: started prednisone.
Jerry,Daniella & Johnnie, Thanks for your reply's to my query.Jerry as I told u in my response to your mail,I had her x-rayed again 6-17.Vet sent all of Gurlee's x-rays to a radiologist to see if he could tell us what was wrong.He confirmed a pathological fracture to her radius & felt she had some sort of cancer,but again as w/all the other vets & specialist they can't confirm what kind as no one has seen it present this way.All her symptons were atypical to all cancer tumors I researched. But she was atypical too.That she lived past 6 months was I thought,a miracle anyways.I adopted her from the County Animal shelter on Thur,Nov 9,2009. 2 days after I had to send my Beloved Rotti George over the bridge.Fri 10th,late p.m. she fell over onto her side.I could tell something was wrong,it was like she was unconscious.I had apt w/my vet for her already,but I took her early Sat.The shelter of course gave her all the required shots at one time.She was surrendered by owner,she was emaciated,so her system was weak to start with,then all the shots.Vet diagnosed kennel cough & a cold.Gave us antibiotics.By Sunday nite she was in serious cond w/fast rising temp.12a.m. it was 106,by 1 a.m. 107.4,& had green pus coming from her vagina.I called local emergency vet to see how to lower temp till I could get her to my vet Monday morn.I didn't have the 400.00 entrance fee to the clinic.They absolutely refused even tho they told me she was going to die.We were devastated.I had just spent a year nursing my George & now we might lose this Rotti who we could see was a very sweet & special pup.All I could find @ that time online was to keep alternating ice packs on her pads & back.My 18 yr old grandson laid beside her & wept while he & my daughter kept iceing her.By 5 am fever was down 105.8. So we stopped w/the ice.She was breathing & resting normal. I had her @ my Vet's Mon when he opened,he was great.The kennel cough went to pneumonia & she had pryometria & thyroid.He did emergency spade,IV fluids & antibiotics.He let me pay him on Thur.I always thanked God that I rescued her when I did or they would have found her dead at the shelter Mon morn.Gurlee helped us w/our grief over losing George.Her 1st 2 weeks w/us were spent saving her.Her last 2 were spent trying to save her again.Money this time was not an issue,I have x-cellent insurance on both my dogs.But,because she weighed 128 lbs,the fracture to front left,tear to left rear crucial ligament a year ago,she wasn't a candidate for amputation.My daughter & I took her after the fracture diagnoses 6-17,to the Vet tech she absolutely loved,who gave her the belly rub she loved while I scratched her face & told her everything was ok & what a good girl she was,we sent her to be w/George. Gurlee's loss is devastating.She was,bar none the daintiest,most intelligent dog I have ever met.She rarely barked,when she did she started mimicking my pit/yellowlab/hounddogs,hound yowl.It was hysterical to be looking @ a Rotti while a hounddog baying came out.She would sit quietly studying something,then imitate it,or figure a way around it. I have subscribed to the Whole Dog Journal since 2003,all organic,no grain,minimal vaccinations,spring water.Still this mystery cancer?happened.I now have to try & make her loss ok for her beloved sidekick,Little Guy.Naturally he keeps looking for her,isn't acting his normal happy self.But,neither are we.I took Gurlee to Adoring Pets Funeral Home for private cremation.I just picked up ashes of my brothers dog Mon 6-15.It's been a horrible week.Thanks for the replys and thoughts.My prayers to all who are dealing with this awful & preventable disease.