TRIPAWDS: Home to 23132 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Farewell to the Queen - March 23, 2013
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Greater Western Washington area
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
24 March 2013 - 3:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Sue,

It was a big jolt to hear the news about our Queen Nova.  My tears came down as I read your tribute to her and I thought to myself it really is true, Nova did win.  She got to grow old with the people and pack that love her and that she loves.  She beat it all and got to go out surrounded by love in her old age.  I cry for you, for her I cheer because she is a miracle girl and a fighter and used every ounce of life there was to be had.   Nova you will always be an inspiration and you set the bar very high indeed.

Elizabeth and Spirit Sammy

Diagnosed with osteosarcoma in the right front leg 8/23/10,

leg fractured 8/27/10,

leg amputated 8/30/10

http://sammyand.....pawds.com/

I couldn't begin to say how special Sammy is to us.  Living and laughing with and loving this wonderful boy is priceless.

Livermore CA
24 March 2013 - 3:11 pm

Sue, what a beautiful tribute to the awesome Queen.  I am in shock and wordless--I too thought this day was way out in the future. 

I'm thinking of you today, and Nova and all the November Five--so much a part of my life for the last 4 years.

Rest in peace, sweet girl.  We'll miss you.

Mary and Cemil

Cemil and mom Mary, Mujde and Radzi….appreciating and enjoying Today

Cemil's blog

24 March 2013 - 3:59 pm

That really was a beautifully written tribute for Nova. I cried and cried while reading it. Nova's story was one of the first I read also when I joined this community. Her story gave me so much hope when I was in one of the most difficult times of my life. I remember when I first read her story I ran upstairs to my husband so I could tell him all about Nova and show him her pictures. I was totally amazed at everything I read about her and I even watched a video of her. Suddenly I felt as if I could make it through the hardships that I was going through with my Valentina. Nova's story was especially dear to me because my new Tripawd was a Great Dane too. Her vet also didn't think it was a good idea to do the surgery since she was so big. I actually saw a video of Zane the Dane before I became a member of Tripawds and seeing him helped me realize that a Dane could be a successful Tripawd. After joining Tripawds and discovering Nova I just knew that together Valentina and I could make it. One of the best things was how much Sue shared in her stories about Nova. It helped me to know all the details that she had written and what to expect with my new Tripawd. Sue, I have never met you in person but you are one of the best dog parents I have ever known. You have given every ounce of love, caring and compassion to all of your Dogs and you are simply amazing. Having gone through everything that you have you still have managed to help so many others with your wonderfully well written accounts of your journey with Nova. I can't even explain how much I appreciate you sharing all of your heartfelt feelings and experiences. I am so sad that Nova's journey has finally come to an end. I thought about you all day yesterday and today. I am happy for you too though because you had so much time with Nova and that is truly something to celebrate. She has brought so much to your life. She is such a blessing and she will continue to be in your memories and her story will be told many times over again to inspire others that have to walk the same road that she did. She will give hope where there is despair and smiles where there are tears. So glad that she crossed over peacefully and you were able to help her into her next life. She loved you with all her heart and we know that it was big beyond compare. Such a beautiful beautiful girl. Thank you Nova for your strength, courage and shining example of a Tripawd that beat all the odds!!! Much love to you sweet girl. And to your wonderful Mommy.

New Haven, CT
24 March 2013 - 4:08 pm

What a glorious, beautiful life Queen Nova had.  She is a Queen and is a hero to me and to everyone else here.  Thank you for such a detailed, heartfelt eulogy.  A sweet and loving life right to the end.  I wish you and whole pack safe and deep mourning for her soul.  We will miss you, Nova, but will always remember and love you.

~ Katy

ACL tear in right hind leg 12/5/12 and scheduled ACL repair surgery 12/21/12. Pre-op xrays revealed osteosarcoma. Amputation 12/28/12.  Chemo (carboplatin) started Jan 10, 2013 and ended on April 5, for a total of 5 doses. He handled carbo like a champ!  No side effects.  We started metronomic therapy at his third chemo and have been also doing some holistic treatments.  He's a lively, playful 10 year old huskie-boarder collie and a very proud member of the Winter Warriors!  Our love. Our funny little guy!

Rock Hill, SC
24 March 2013 - 4:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Sue,

I posted on FB but I feel the need to write here, too.  I hope you know - truly know - how much Nova touched our lives.  I mourn each loss that we have on this site but this one is just different.  I have cried for two days now because this world has lost such a precious, inspirational being.

When new members join this site we latch onto the long-term survivors with hope that maybe we can reach those milestones and, even if we don't, that hope allows us some freedom in the interim to enjoy the precious moments we do have with them.  Nova was a beacon for us in times of darkness.  We were given a six week prognosis but thanks to stories like Nova's we proceeded with the fight and we got ten fabulous months.

Nova's destiny in this life was great and she lived up to it with grace and dignity.  I know her loss has left you with great sadness but please know that she will never be forgotten.  On a lighter note, can you imagine the greeting that she received when she got there?  So many of our pups had heard her name again and again.  I can guarantee you that she received a spectacular greeting from many warriors who went before her...

With many wishes for peace and strength in this difficult time,

Lisa

Zeus was a Husky mix diagnosed with Osteosarcoma at age 11.  A visible lung met and suspicious spot on his liver meant a poor prognosis-six weeks was our vet's best guess. We decided to fight for our boy and his right front leg was amputated on 12/1/11. We did six rounds of chemo, changed his diet and spoiled him completely rotten. We were blessed with 10 great months after diagnosis. Against the odds, the lung met remained a single met and grew very little over those months. A wonderful furbaby with the most gentle spirit, he fought with a strength that we never imagined he possessed. We have no regrets...
http://zeuspod......pawds.com/

24 March 2013 - 6:07 pm

Wow amazing Nova! I am in the same boat with a Dane that has a boat load of issues, but is so remarkable and inspiring. I am sorry for your loss. I have had many dogs in my life but there is nothing like a Great Dane and my last one lived til 12, I hope this one does too and your others ones do as we'll. thanks for sharing your story

Airdrie, Alberta
24 March 2013 - 7:40 pm

WOW!!! Such a beautiful and loving tribute to your gorgeous girl, Queen Nova!  I have only been a member here for a short time and don't think I have had the privilege of reading any of Nova's inspiring story's but just reading your tribute has made me feel that I have known her for a very long time.  RIP sweet girl!  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...HUGS!!!

Roxy…Border Collie cross born on approximately October 27th, 2011;

Rescued in January 2012 by Oops a Dazy Rescue & Sanctuary;

Right hind leg amputated on January 20th, 2012 due to a severe spiral fracture;

Adopted on February 21st, 2012 by Teena, a devoted human & Charlee, a purebred BC.

Hugs, tail wags & sloppy kisses

New Zealand
24 March 2013 - 11:46 pm

Fly Free Queen Nova youll be missed by so many!! Like many have said before me Nova was such an inspiration to so many. We have been blessed by not having to deal with cancer but she was still a inspiration to us too! What a welcoming party it would have been for the Queen at the bridge with everyone there to greet her.

My thoughts are with you all Sue hold those precious memories close

Big hugs and lots of love

Sarah

Arizona
25 March 2013 - 1:34 pm

Sue,

I was sadden to read that our beautiful Queen Nova's has journey has come to an end.

May you find peace in all your memories, peace in knowing what an inspiration Nova was to all.

RIP Queen Nova....

Jo Ann and Angel Tasha

Tasha 8 years old, First cancer diagnosis 6/26/09, Last cancer diagnosis 9/26/09, Amputation 10/01/09, Loving our girl moment by moment.

Tasha lost her battle and became my Angel on May 4 2011. Forever in my heart….

25 March 2013 - 8:24 pm

I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Nova.  That dog was truly one of a kind and you did such a great job never giving up! There always does come a time for us to let them go and I know that it is very difficult.  I am so sorry...

Pam

Sydney, Australia
25 March 2013 - 8:40 pm

That was such a moving tribute for a very special warrior. Thank you for sharing it with us so soon after saying goodbye.  It is raw and overflowing with the love you shared with Nova and the tears certainly flowed as I read it. Nova will continue to be an inspiration to many.

Many hugs

Karen and Spirit Magnum

Magnum: 30th May 2002 to 5th May 2012. Lost her back left leg to osteosarcoma on 5th Sep 2011. Lung mets found on 20th Mar 2012 but it was bone mets in the hip that ended her brave battle. Magnum's motto - "Dream as if you'll live for ever, live as if you'll die today" (James Dean). Loyal, loving, courageous and spirited to the end. My beloved heart dog, see her memoirs from Rainbow Bridge ...... http://princess.....pawds.com/

krun15
25 March 2013 - 9:55 pm

Sue,
I'm sorry Nova reached the end of her journey with you. What a survivor, an inspiration, a true warrior. There are countless parents out there who had the courage to face OSA and amputation because Nova showed them the way.
I'm sure Maggie was happy to welcome another world class napper at the Bridge. Maybe Mag finally got a chance to see if she fit in that crown!

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

Karen and Spirit Maggie

Oakland, CA
25 March 2013 - 10:22 pm

Sue,

I too read your post with shock, never thinking the day would come. I too am so sorry for your loss. Nova takes her rightful place in the tripawd pantheon and she will never, ever be forgotten, by you, by me, by all of those whose lives she touched, here in the Tripawd Nation, and beyond.

Long live our Tripawd Queen--Fly free Queen Nova!

xoxoxox,

Martha and the Oaktown Pack

Woohoo! Tripawds Rule!

Regulator of the Oaktown Pack, Sheriff of the Oaktown Pawsse, Founding member and President of the Tripawd Girldogs With 2 Names ROCK Club, and ... Tripawd Girldog Extraordinaire!

Visit Codie Rae's Blog!

Bentonville, AR
26 March 2013 - 12:11 pm

Sue and family,
Just having lost Bruno Almost three months ago I know the heartache you all must be feeling right now. Tears gushed as I read your entry. What a beautiful love story you two shared filled with ups and downs but nevertheless an unwaivering love. She was a true trooper and warrior who pushed through despite obstacles she encountered. How lucky she was to have an owner and companion like you which gave her a real chance to flourish and live life and how lucky you were to have her for so long despite her ailments. He had a full life! Stories like hers give such hope and inspiration. I know how hard and gut wrenching it was the moment you knew you had to let go, but I remind myself that it isn't a "goodbye", rather an "until we meet again". Novas spirit will live on forever. Best wishes. Thank you for sharing her with us
Maricela and Spirit Bruno

Maricela and Spirit Bruno

http://bruiserb.....pawds.com/

Twin Cities, Minnesota
26 March 2013 - 5:29 pm

As many others have said, Nova's story was one of the first we read when we came here. Hugs to you, and goodspeed to her as she explores the other side of the bridge.

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
-Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

"May I recommend serenity to you? A life that is burdened with expectations is a heavy life. Its fruit is sorrow and disappointment. Learn to be one with the joy of the moment."
-Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 233
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17883
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3