Join The Discussion
Learn about life on three legs in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free to take advantage of member benefits:
- Instant post approval.
- Private messages to members.
- Subscribe to favorite topics.
- Join the Live Chat and more!
Best Dog Beds for Tripawds
Give Tripawds the comfort they deserve! See which dog beds are best and why.
27 April 2009
Hi everyone, we just wanted to let you know that Chuy will be going in next Tuesday for surgery on his left leg. He has Legg-Calve Perthes Disease and he has a fracture in the femoral head. There is nothing wrong with the ligaments in the leg or knee though which is a good thing. We are glad to hear this news as he is already tripawd and we really don't want him to be bipawd. 😉
The orthopedic vet gave us 4 options:
1. do nothing and let him live in pain
2. FHO = Femoral Head Ostectomy – which is where they remove the ball of the femur that goes into the hip joint.
3. rebreak the fracture and try to repair it, which may lead to arthritis and other problems down the road.
4. total hip replacement – costly and also may have more problems down the road.
We chose to do option #2. Even the vet said that if Chuy were his dog that is what he would do. The recovery time is 1 night at the hospital, 3-4 days downtime at home and then physical therapy at home with a few follow-up visits to the vet. 🙂 He may have to have the right leg done sometime in the future as he has the same problem there too.
It's a couple grand for the surgery, but Chuy is worth every penny as you know. We Love him very much and want him to have the best.
Chuy, showing everyone that Tripawds do everything 3 times better than regular dogs!
22 August 2008
25 April 2007
We’re so happy to hear Chuy’s issues are treatable and look forward to hearing updates on his progress. Bless you for taking such good care of him!