TRIPAWDS: Home to 22971 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Something pawsitive in 2020
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13 December 2020 - 7:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

So.. last week of May, a very feral,  shy kitty started visiting our yard.  She would run if you came anywhere near her direction. 

David started talking to her and giving her treats.  A couple weeks later ... here come the kittens.  I have lots of photos to post but this last week we finally got everything together to do an offical TNR. It was successful! And a lot of work... serious.  

I don't know how mama ended up with these babies.  When i finally got to see her not running,  I took a photo and realized she was also a feral TNR. Her left ear was clipped.  I showed a rescue friend of mine her photo and she confrmed my conclusion.  She had lovingly taken the three babies under her wing and was fiercely protective. 

It took months of love,food, kindness, and patience to get them closer to the house.  They finally became regulars and we feed them twice a day and give them shelter.  

Last week we trapped the three babies,  about 10 months old now.  They were spayed,  neutered,  rabies and distemper inoculated,  dewormed, flea and mite preventative applied. 

Phoebe is a beautiful black panther that bonded with me.  We released her siblings back to mama, and we are working with Phoebe similar to what we did with Huck, only her condo is in the middle of our living room😊

Introducing Phoebe.  The newest addition to our family ❤❤❤

20201213_151344.jpgImage Enlarger

Hugs,

Jackie, Bo, Andy, Oscar, Phoebe, and the coolest feral tripawd kitty Huckleberry

Huckleberry's Blog

14 December 2020 - 9:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Here is a better photo of her indoors and safe

68716-scaled-e1607959895698.jpegImage Enlarger

She is just the tiniest little girl, and she is so very sweet sp_hearticon2 We had not planned on adoption. We have a regular routine now with them. Morning chow first thing in the morning, dinner and treats when I get home from work. The more treats she came for, the more chill she seemed to be getting. One particularly cold evening I just slid the door open and offered her a Delectable. She slowly came in and enjoyed her treat on the rug with me. I slid the door closed and she panicked. I had to talk her down, but I slid the door back open and when she realized she wasn't stuck she was ok again. This went on for several weeks. 

I have photos of the group too 🙂  I will find them. 

sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2

Hugs,

Jackie, Bo, Andy, Oscar, Phoebe, and the coolest feral tripawd kitty Huckleberry

Huckleberry's Blog

On The Road

14 December 2020 - 11:28 am

Wheeeeee! That is the kind of pawsitive story I needed to start my week, thank you for sharing Jackie! You and David are like the cat whisperers, they all know where to find love and shelter with caring humans. 

Phoebe is just beautiful, and teeny indeed. She has stumbled onto the best home ever! How's the rest of the furmily doing with their new sibling? 

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

14 December 2020 - 11:59 am

So far so good🤞🤞🤞 We are giving her some time to roam and if she's out and about the boys vanish,  lol. 

Bo is Bo, so we have to watch that he doesn't get too excited 🤯 Not like Bo ever gets excited?!?!🤣🤣🤣

"Knocks on wood as she types" at least there's no fighting (yet)

Did I mention how nice it is to not be the only girl for a change?

❤❤❤

20201128_122819-scaled.jpgImage Enlarger

From the top Mama cat, Tiger, Cali, and Phoebe.  This was about a week before we trapped them❤

Hugs,

Huckleberry's Blog

14 December 2020 - 12:33 pm

I'm so excited for Huckleberry to have a girlfriend!! He's no longer the new kid on the block and can show her the ropes.

You and David have the best cat house ever! One that's full of love, patience and food to offer to the homeless. 

I'm thrilled that Phoebe has a nose like Mona. Please give her a kiss on that little nose from me (if you feel it's safe).

Hugs to your family!

Kerren sp_hearticon2

Virginia

14 December 2020 - 5:40 pm

kazann said

You and David have the best cat house ever! One that's full of love, patience and food to offer to the homeless. 

Truly the luckiest cats in the world!!   Uoi really ought to start some sort of YouTube thing for the Dodo Channel.  What you and Dacid have done for all your kitties (and poppers too) is truly magical.

Looking forward to following  Phoebe as she relaxes I to her knew lofe full of love and joy and ear scritches♥️

Hugs Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

PS.   Kitty Mona definitely approves♥️

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

14 December 2020 - 6:04 pm

It's not a cat house. I've seen photos. It's a cat castle! Every cats dream! Yep, they knew exactly where to go. They are just beautiful. Are you keeping all of them? To tell you the truth I think you have already decided. And Huck saids YES!

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

14 December 2020 - 6:37 pm

🥰🥰❤ Wow, thank you... wow. 

Phoebe has Mona's nose,  but i can't kiss it yet.  I have kissed the back of her head and today I think we found out why. 

I can't totally handle her yet,  at least not her tummy.  I noticed a bump near her incision and she is a lot more quiet than usual.  I thought for sure it was an umbilical hernia,  so David took her over for a quick peek. Not a hernia,  she's having a suture reaction😥

They gave her an injection of Convenia so that she wouldn't hate us for giving her oral antibiotics.  She's quiet tonight,  not much of an appetite.  She did sit on my lap and we had a cuddle purr session though ❤

Of all the kids... can you believe Huck was the spoiled @ss tonight?!?! She was wandering around minding her own business and she found the window seat.  Huck copped a 'tude and tried to bully her.  That is a first.  I feel the pecking order change as it always does with an addition.  I think he's jealous that she took over his condo🤣🤣  And yes,  for the first time I had to scold him.  Lord help me 🥴

Fingers crossed this is just a minor setback.  I hate dissolvable sutures.  I've seen so many react.  I know it happens and it's normal (kinda), but they can be such a worrisome pain.  Going to continue to give her time out of her condo,  but it will be mostly rest for now ❤

20201214_202100-scaled.jpgImage Enlarger

Bring back memories? It sure does for me ❤

66903.jpegImage Enlarger

Lots of memories 🥰

Hugs,

Huckleberry's Blog

Virginia

14 December 2020 - 7:02 pm

Bummer about the suture reaction.  Phoebe probably isn't appreciating the joys of domestic bliss wiite yet!

Too funny about Huck coping an attitude!😂🤣   He does  not like having a newbie coming  in at getting  all the attention AND sitting on his window seat!!  And then to see her get acuddle-purr session with you tonight!!  😱😱

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

14 December 2020 - 9:50 pm

Aww Huck, be nice to your new sissy! She's letting you sit on top of her crate after all!

Well I shouldn't have jinxed you by asking if they're all getting along. You know cat behavior so well though, I'm sure you can read them well to prevent any big issues.

Too cute about her crate setup. I hope the suture issue is just a little hiccup in her recovery. I didn't realize dissolvable ones cause problems more than traditional sutures.

15 December 2020 - 4:21 am

Hugs,

Huckleberry's Blog

15 December 2020 - 8:45 am

So sorry, I was having technical difficulties earlier so I just deleted it all.  You did not jinx us! I swear I just seem to pick the ones that react to dissolvable sutures smiley5

We are still holding on here. Phoebe is being a stinker about eating, but she always loves the Delectables so she is getting something into her system. I am hoping the injection will help her to feel better quickly. I was really surprised that she has been so quiet in the house. At 10 months old (give or take) I expected her to be hanging from the curtains and driving the boys crazy... so that solves that mystery. 

Here is Phoebe playing with her brother Tiger back in October

https://youtu.b.....3-wdYRatuE

Yes, that is our pool cover. Yes.. I almost had heart failure when David sent it to me! I hope the video comes up correctly this time. It was posting as a link earlier. I must have retried it 6 times and gave up. 

I have a great photo of the beautiful 'mama' cat that took them on and protected them. They were really lucky kittens. Mama found our yard first, and then she brought them once she felt like it would be safe.

sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2

Hugs,

Huckleberry's Blog

On The Road

15 December 2020 - 11:47 am

Awww so cute! I love how they are watching you.

Sorry for the technical issues. Do you think it's anything on our end? I see the video won't embed in your post, have no idea why. Weird! But at least we got to watch. And yeah that is a pretty cool pool cover! 

15 December 2020 - 12:10 pm

I have no idea.  Ive never had a problem with it.  I tried every combination i could think of and I bombed out🤣

I think Phoebe is starting to feel better! She finally ate today and started wandering around the house finally without hiding.  

She came face to face with Huck and stood her ground,  of course bodyguard Bo was behind her to make sure she was good. 

I am breathing easier now.  I will upload to YouTube and try to post it.  We'll see if i get the same problem. 

Hugs,

Huckleberry's Blog

15 December 2020 - 12:22 pm

Hugs,

Huckleberry's Blog

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 212
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17733
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3