Select Pet Cancer and Health Resources from Amazon:
Looking for health tips and pet cancer information for your three or four-legged friend? Check out these books, DVDs, and helpful products we’ve compiled from the giant selection of pet health resources at Amazon.com. Then hop over to the Tripawds Amazon blog for more Tripawd care tips and ideas!
Helpful Websites About Dog and Cat Amputation, Pet Cancer and General Health Tips
Support Groups and Discussions for Cats, Dogs or Both
- DOGS & CATS: Join the discussion about your cat or dog’s life on three legs in the Tripawd Forums
- DOGS & CATS: Learn How to Get Affordable, Awesome Veterinary Care for Your Tripawd
- DOGS & CATS: Find more help in the Pets with Cancer support group.
- DOGS: Visit Bone Cancer Dogs for information about osteosarcoma and bone cancers.
- DOGS: Join Cassie’s Three-Legged Dog Club — the place for Three-Legged Dogs and the People Who Love Them
- DOGS: Discuss all types of canine cancer with others at CanineCancer.com.
- DOGS: Lessons from a Paralyzed Dog offers tips and support for dogs with paralysis.
- DOGS: Get information, resources and canine cancer support at Georgia’s Legacy.
- CATS: The Vaccine Associated Sarcoma (VAS) Support Group helps cat owners coping with VAS in their feline.
- CATS: Learn about Vaccine Associated Sarcoma Amputation for Cats at the Pet Cancer Center.
- CATS: The Cat Cancer Support Group is for anyone coping with a feline cancer diagnosis.
Coping with Your Pet’s Amputation Diagnosis:
- The Tripawds e-book library is the go-to place for Tripawd dog surgery, recovery and post-amputation fitness tips.
- Find out what to expect for your three-legged dog with Colorado State University expert Dr. Duerr.
- Get the details on Limb Amputation in Dogs and Cats from the Michigan Ave. Animal Hospital.
- Cat pawrents learn about life on three legs from International Cat Care article “Owning a Cat with an Amputated Limb.”
- Discover more information about Limb Amputation in Cats from Petplace.com.
- Read this PDF about management of Phantom Limb Pain in Tripawd Dogs, by TC Wait of Colorado.
- The American College of Veterinary Surgeons has great information and tips about dealing with your dog’s amputation surgery and recovery.
- Need help paying emergency vet bills? download this PDF of organizations who might be able to help.
- End-of-life and pet loss resources are available in the Tripawds “Coping with Loss” Discussion Forum.
- Get free help from professionally trained volunteers in pet bereavement counseling from the Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement. Includes a live chat, discussion and more.
- Colorado State University’s Argus Institute offers nationwide counseling for anyone experiencing challenges surrounding their pet’s health care.
- Learn poignant end-of-life lessons from your dog in the Legend of Beezer and Boomer by Doug Koktavy
- Author Moira Anderson Allen, M.Ed. has two great articles about pet loss Defining “Quality of Life” and Ten Tips on Coping with Pet Loss.
- The University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine has a Pet Loss and Bereavement for Pet Owners section on their website.
- For a list of veterinary hospice care resources and grief support counselors, visit Land of Pure Gold Foundation’s Vet Hospice Care page (scroll down about halfway).
- Additional pet loss insight can be found at “Grieving the Loss of a Pet”
Physical Aids for Challenged Dogs and Cats:
- Check out the Tripawds Gear blog for lots of ways you can help your Tripawd live strong.
- Research when and how wheelchairs can help Tripawd dogs and cats.
- Review our Tripawds OrthoPets videos to learn about prosthetics for three-legged pets.
- Get a vet’s opinion about prosthetics for amputee dogs.
- Ruff Wear is where Jerry got his helpful support dog harness.
- Eddie’s Wheels makes wheelchairs for dogs of all sizes including front wheel carts for forelimb amputees.
- Learn Lessons from a Paralyzed Dog to cope with pet paralysis, mobility problems and geriatric care.
Support the Tripawds Foundation to Keep These Resources Available!
Pet Cancer Tips and Treatments
- Dr. Demian Dressler’s comprehensive Dog Cancer Survival Kit and Dog Cancer Survival Guide walks you through the cancer treatment journey.
- Dr. Sue Ettinger gives the latest treatments when amputation is not an option.
- Osteosarcoma diagnosis? Learn about Cutting-edge treatment for canine osteosarcoma, The CSU experience
- Rainbow’s Bridge has a good page explaining cancer and chemotherapy options.
- Veterinary Partners answers questions about osteosarcoma in dogs.
- The American College of Veterinary Surgeons features information about bone tumors in dogs and cats..
- The Canadian Veterinary Journal discusses the uses and benefits of Palliatve Radiation Therapy for osteosarcoma.
- A great general information site about pet cancer is The Pet Cancer Center.
- Cat parents can learn about Vaccine Associated Fibrosarcoma and Amputation in Cats at VeterinaryPartner.com.
- Australian members will find CanineCancer.org.au full of helpful information about pet cancer.
- Land of Pure Gold Foundation, has awesome information on canine cancer diagnosis, treatments, what to expect and giving programs for financial assistance.
- www.marvistavet.com answers various questions about osteosarcoma in dogs.
- www.oncolink.com includes in-depth coverage of bone tumors in dogs and quality of life assessment.
- An overview of Histiocytic Diseases in Dogs (Canine Histiocytosis)
- Learn about Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (SRT) to treat limb osteosarcoma.
- The vets at North Carolina State describe a new approach to limb sparing (salvage) surgery implants in dogs.
- Be your dog’s hero, help Chase Away K9 Cancer!
Pet Cancer Holistic Treatment Alternatives:
- Diet is one of the most important things you can do for cancer dogs. See Jerry’s canine cancer diet and supplements and other Tripawd Hero diet tips for great examples.
- Fight your dog’s cancer with K9 Immunity medicinal mushroom holistic therapy.
- Holistic Dog: Links for Canine Wellness and Natural Treatments of Ailments
- Find cancer information, diet and supplement tips at DogAware.
- Discover vet-approved holistic cancer treatments at a Path with Paws, presented by Dr. Lena McCullough, DVM and certified veterinary acupuncturist.
- More holistic veterinarian-approved resources are found at MyHolisticPetVet.
- For a great summary of Treating Cancer and Immune Support systems, see this summary of the Hoxsey and Essaic Formula Holisitic treatments.
- The Animals and Artemisinin Yahoo Group exists to support those seeking alternative cancer therapy with Artemisinin, also known as qinghaosu.
- Help Your Dog Fight Cancer is a website with lots of resources, based on Laurie Kaplan’s books about canine cancer.
Find Holistic Veterinarians and other Health Practitioners for Dogs and Cats
- Find a holistic veterinary medical provider at the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association website directory.
- Locate acupuncture specialists in your area at the American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture website..
- More acupuncture specialists in your area can be located at the Chi Institute of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine..
- Find international acupuncture specialists at the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society..
- Connect with a qualified canine rehabilitation doctor at the Canine Rehabilitation Institute website directory.
Health Care Tips for Tripawds
- Make the Tripawds Nutrition Blog your first stop in learning about Tripawd and general pet health
- Shirley’s Wellness Cafe is huge resource for lots of dog and cat health and pet cancer information.
- The Dog Food Advisor can help you pick the best food for your dog.
- BARF for Beginners by NJ Boxers, answers the Top 50 questions about the BARF diet for dogs.
- A handy Cat and Dog “BSA / Dosage Calculator” for determining drug dosages.
- Dogs Adverse Reactions is another place to learn about the dangers of Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs.
Vet Cancer Clinical Trials is a searchable database of veterinary cancer trials around the U.S.
The following organizations also conduct canine cancer clinical trials.:
- Animal Clinical Investigation, Washington DC
- Veterinary Cancer Care Clinic, Santa Fe NM
- Veterinary Cancer Group, Southern CA
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge LA
- The Animal Medical Center, NY, NY
- The University of California at Davis
- Colorado State University at Fort Collins
- University of Florida at Gainesvile
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Michigan State University at East Lansing
- University of Missouri at Columbia
- North Carolina State University at Raleigh
- Ohio State University at Columbus
- University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia
- Purdue University in Indiana
- University of Tennesseee at Knoxville
- Washington State University at Pullman
- University of Wisconsin at Madison
- Australia: CanineCancer.org.au State Guide to clinical trials
Advocacy and Fundraising Campaigns:
- Please donate to The Tripawds Foundation, we’re working to improve the lives of our three-legged dog and cat heroes.
- Be a Tripawds Advocate! Print your own free cards and flyers and displays to spread the word in your hometown.
- We love the Morris Animal Foundation for their work in finding causes and cures of pet cancer through veterinary research programs.
- The Puppy Up Foundation (formerly 2MillionDogs.org) is furthering comparative oncology studies to uncover links between human and pet cancers.
- Our friends at Greyhounds Rock support canine cancer treatment and research.
- The Tripawds Gifts Blog is your headquarters for fun gifts for Tripawd pets and people.
- Tripawds Three Legged Cat and Dog Blogs chronicle the amazing lives of our resilient members.
- Three Legged Red from Dunham Cellars is a wonderful red table wine named after a rescued tripawd with two legs on the port side.
- Christine Davis’ Lighthearted Press offers a selection of magical books celebrating people and their animal companions.