Select Canine Cancer Resources Available from Amazon:
Review this selection of books, DVDs, and helpful products for your three (or four) legged friend which we have compiled from the vast selection of pet health resources available at Amazon.com.
Support Groups and Discussions:
- Join the discussion about canine cancer and life on three legs in the Tripawd Forums
- Visit Bone Cancer Dogs for more canine osteosarcoma medical information.
- Yahoo’s Dog Health Group discusses certain canine drugs and their effects
- Join Cassie’s Three-Legged Dog Club — the place for Three-Legged Dogs and the People Who Love Them
- Yahoo Canine Cancer Support Group — discuss all types of canine cancer with others
- Lessons from a Paralyzed Dog offers tips and support for dogs with paralysis.
Coping with Your Dog’s Diagnosis:
- Learn lessons from your dog in the Legend of Beezer and Boomer by Doug Koktavy
- The American College of Veterinary Surgeons has great information and tips about dealing with your dog’s amputation surgery and recovery.
- Need help paying emergency vet bills? download this PDF of organizations who might be able to help.
- Colorado State University’s Argus Institute offers nationwide counseling for anyone experiencing challenges surrounding their pet’s health care.
- The Legacy of Beezer and Boomer is a great book for anyone coping with the loss of a pet or anticipatory grief.
- Author Moira Anderson Allen, M.Ed. has two great articles about pet loss Defining “Quality of Life” and Ten Tips on Coping with Pet Loss.
- The University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine has a Pet Loss and Bereavement for Pet Owners section on their website.
- For a list of veterinary hospice care resources and grief support counselors, visit Land of Pure Gold Foundation’s Vet Hospice Care page (scroll down about halfway).
- For pet loss comfort and support, please visit “Pet Loss Articles and Books Resource” by Christine Davis
- Additional pet loss insight can be found at “Grieving the Loss of a Pet”
Physical Aids for Challenged Canines:
- Check out the Tripawds Gear blog for lots of ways you can help your Tripawd live strong.
- Ruff Wear is where Jerry got his helpful support dog harness.
- www.petsupportsuit.com, Animal Suspension Technology Support Suits for canines with mobility impairment.
- DogLeggs creates custom vests to prevent elbow calluses on big Tripawds.
- www.handicappedpets.com for mobility braces and other support methods.
- Eddie’s Wheels (eddieswheels.com) makes wheelchairs for dogs of all sizes including front wheel carts for forelimb amputees.
- GingerLead Dog Rehabilitation Support Sling
Support the Tripawds Foundation to Keep These Resources Available!
Dog Cancer Health Tips:
- K9 Immunity is a hopeful treatment for Canine Bone Cancer.
- Holistic Dog: Links for Canine Wellness and Natural Treatments of Ailments
- Diet and Supplements: Compilation of diet and supplement information for canine health conditions.
- Diet is one of the most important things you can do for cancer dogs. See Jerry’s canine cancer diet and supplements for an example.
- For a great summary of Treating Cancer and Immune Support systems, see this summary of the Hoxsey and Essaic Formula Holisitic treatments.
- Learn about holistic cancer treatments at a Path with Paws, presented by Dr. Lena McCullough, DVM and certified veterinary acupuncturist.
- Shirley’s Wellness Cafe is huge resource for lots of canine health, and canine cancer, information.
- Help Your Dog Fight Cancer is a website with lots of resources, based on Laurie Kaplan’s books about canine cancer.
- Free Dog Diet Tips provides good information for helping your dog live a healthier, happier life.
- BARF for Beginners by NJ Boxers, answers the Top 50 questions about the BARF diet for dogs.
- A handy Cat and Dog “BSA / Dosage Calculator” for determining drug dosages.
Dog Cancer and Other Canine Immune System Disease Information:
- Georgia’s Legacy provides comprehensive information, resource referral and emotional support to pawrents affected by canine cancer.
- Dr. Demian Dressler’s comprehensive dog cancer blog answers your questions about coping with cancer.
- Osteosarcoma diagnosis? Learn about Cutting-edge treatment for canine osteosarcoma, The CSU experience
- Rainbow’s Bridge has a good page explaining cancer and chemotherapy options.
- Veterinary Partners answers questions about osteosarcoma in dogs..
- The American College of Veterinary Surgeons gives a rundown on bone tumors in dogs and cats..
- Informative 60-page whitepaper from 2006 Symposium on Canine Osteosarcoma from the Veterinary Cancer Society.
- The Canadian Veterinary Journal discusses the uses and benefits of Radiation Therapy.
- A great general information site about pet cancer is The Pet Cancer Center.
- Land of Pure Gold Foundation, has awesome information on canine cancer diagnosis, treatments, what to expect and giving programs for financial assistance.
- www.talktothevet.com has this great article on canine osteosarcoma diagnosis and treatment.
- www.marvistavet.com answers various questions about osteosarcoma in dogs.
- www.vetcancersociety.org is home of the Veterinary Cancer Society.
- www.oncolink.com includes in-depth coverage of bone tumors in dogs and quality of life assessment.
- An overview of Histiocytic Diseases in Dogs (Canine Histiocytosis)
- Read this PDF about management of Phantom Limb Pain in Tripawd Dogs, by TC Wait of Colorado.
- Frequent contributor Jessie has created this PDF containing valuable canine cancer, health and nutrition website links.
- Read Nikki’s Story for a compilation of mainstream and alternative medical resources about osteosarcoma.
- Be your dog’s hero, help Chase Away K9 Cancer!
Holistic, Alternative Medicine and Prescription Drugs and Your Dog
- Learn about holistic and alternative medicine at the National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine..
- Find a holistic veterinary medical provider at the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association website directory..
- Find acupuncture specialists in your area at the American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture website..
- More acupuncture specialists in your area can be located at the Chi Institute of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine..
- Find international acupuncture specialists at the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society..
- Find a qualified canine rehabilitation doctor at the Canine Rehabilitation Institute website directory..
- Dogs Adverse Reactions is another place to learn about the dangers of Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs .
- The Yahoo Dog Health group discusses the dangers of prescriptions like Previcox, Duramaxx and other NSAIDS..
Support for Veterinarians:
- Colorado State University Argus Institute assists veterinarians in helping clients cope with end of life issues for their animal companion.
- Veterinary Oncology Consultants assist other veterinarians in providing the highest possible quality of life for pets with cancer and their human families.
- Patty Khuly, VMD, MBA publishes Dolittler the premiere veterinary blog for pet lovers, vet voyeurs and the medically curious.
- Veterinary Wisdom develops and distributes products and services that support the emotional side of working and living with companion animals, focusing on pet loss and grief for vets and pawrents alike.
Vet Clinical Trials is a searchable website of veterinary cancer trials around the U.S.
The following organizations also conduct canine cancer clinical trials.:
- Animal Clinical Investigation, Washington DC
- Veterinary Cancer Clinic, Santa Fe NM
- Veterinary Cancer Group, Tustin, CA.
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge LA
- The Animal Medical Center, NY, NY
- The University of California at Davis
- Colorado State University at Fort Collins
- University of Florida at Gainesvile
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Michigan State University at East Lansing
- University of Missouri at Columbia
- North Carolina State University at Raleigh
- Ohio State University at Columbus
- University of Pennsylvaniain Philadelphia
- Purdue Universityin Indiana
- University of Tennesseee at Knoxville
- Washington State University at Pullman
- University of Wisconsin at Madison
- Pet Screen: Using the latest scientific developments to make animal cancer therapy kinder and more effective. Donate a small amount of blood to further research on canine cancer.
- www.gabrielinstitute.org, one mans quest for a radical new cure cure for bone cancer in dogs
Advocacy and Fundraising Campaigns:
- Be a Tripawds Advocate! Print your own free cards and flyers and displays to spread the word in your hometown.
- Morris Animal Foundation Canine Cancer Campaign: MAF hopes to raise the $30 million from April 2007 through April 2012 to stop canine cancer.
- 2MillionDogs.org – Partners for a New Hope in Cancer Research
- Greyhounds Rock Supports Canine Cancer Treatment and Research
- The Canine Hereditary Cancer Consortium is a project by the Van Andel Institute, which is soliciting the assistance of pure bred dog owners to help them collect blood and tumor samples to identify the causes of canine and human cancers.
- Canine Cancer Awareness.org raises awareness of the prevalence of canine cancer, its effects and the available treatment options for dogs with cancer.
- Fight canine cancer by supporting The Dog and Cat Cancer Fund
- Three Legs and a Spare Canine Amputation E-book
- Dr. Demian Dressler’s Dog Cancer Survival Kit
- Healthy Food For Dogs: Homemade Recipes
- Complete Dog Nutrition Toolkit
- Help Heal Your Dog Naturally
Dog Blogs and Other Stuff for All Animal Lovers:
- Tripawds Three Legged Dog Blogs chronicle the amazing lives of our resilient members.
- Dog Food Advisor is the place to go for unbiased reviews from Mike Sagman.
- Learn what others think about their dog’s food at Dog Food Chat
- The 2 Dogs, 2000 Miles campaign continues raising cancer awareness at 2MillionDogs.org.
- Triumph the Dog — not a Tripawd, but a Bi-Pawd! Read her inspawrational story here
- Paws & Claws is your online resource for everything Pet or Wildlife related!
- Share your pet’s stories, watch pet videos and shop for unique gifts featuring your own pets at Pet Stars Of America
- Dogster has a Tripods Rule group that’s a lot of fun.
- Three Legged Red from Dunham Cellars is a wonderful red table wine named after a rescued tripawd with two legs on the port side.
- Christine Davis’ Lighthearted Press offers a selection of magical books celebrating people and their animal companions.
- Watch Jerry’s YouTube channel for videos of tripod wonder dogs and veterinarian interviews.
- Spirit Jerry has his own Squidoo lens that shares his amputation and cancer story.