TRIPAWDS: Home to 12363 Members and 1425 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Toxic mushrooms? | Ask A Vet!

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Discussion

Learn about life on three legs in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free to take advantage of member benefits:

  • Instant post approval.
  • Private messages to members.
  • Subscribe to favorite topics.
  • Join the Live Chat and more!

free tripawds account tripawds member log in

K9 Immunity Plus — Hope For Dogs With Cancer

Get help with Dr. Dressler's Dog Cancer Kit

Best Dog Beds for Tripawds

ruffwear urban sprawl dog bed

Give Tripawds the comfort they deserve! See which dog beds are best and why.




A A A

Please consider registering
Guest

Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Toxic mushrooms?
sp_NewPost Add Reply sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Michigan
Member
Forum Posts: 209
Member Since:
31 August 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
11 December 2009 - 10:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

When Rocky was at the vet today,  I mentioned that I was going to start him on power mushrooms. I brought a print out from the Health Concerns website showing the ingredients and possible benefits, which was a good thing because my vet had never heard of them. 

She was concerned about Rocky taking these because she said some types of mushrooms are toxic to dogs. I told her some of the dogs here had used the mushrooms with good results. 

She said she did check out the mushrooms on the website (while Rocky and I were waiting in the other room) and said I could start Rocky on the mushrooms if I wanted to.  She also said she would research it a bit more and get back with me if she found any additional information.

So I guess I'm just wondering if there's a posibility of causing harm to Rocky by starting him on the power mushrooms. Right now he's doing really well, and now I don't know if I want to take the chance of something going wrong.

Any thoughts?

Michelle

Here and Now

Forum Posts: 11374
Member Since:
25 April 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
11 December 2009 - 1:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

Considering Pam (aka: tazziedog) is a vet, and she gave Tazzie Power Mushrooms as part of her canine cancer treatment, I am certain there is no need to be concerned about toxicity in any of the natural mushroom derivative cancer therapies for dogs.

Also, be sure to check out the information and compare prices at all the online sources for Power Mushrooms we just posted in the new Tripawds Nutrition blog !

Member

Forum Posts: 1881
Member Since:
22 August 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
11 December 2009 - 1:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

I was also a little wary of starting the mushrooms, since my dog Tazzie had a history of liver disease and some mushrooms are toxic to the liver.  My holistic vet assured me that they were safe and I monitored Tazzie's liver enzymes monthly.  She never had any problems and she felt great while on them.  My only regret is that I didn't start them sooner!

Your vet can research the product on VIN (veterinary info network).  Lots of holistic vets recommend mushroom therapy for any type of cancer.

Pam

Michigan
Member
Forum Posts: 209
Member Since:
31 August 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
11 December 2009 - 1:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

Pam,

Since Rocky has never had any sort of issue with his liver, would he require enzyme monitoring if he were to begin taking power mushrooms?

Thanks,

Michelle

Member

Forum Posts: 1881
Member Since:
22 August 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
11 December 2009 - 1:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

I would not monitor his enzymes if he is only taking mushrooms.  If he is taking any sort of NSAID like Rimadyl or Metacam then he should have his liver and kidney enzymes monitored every 6-12 months.

Pam

Winnipeg
Member
Forum Posts: 1349
Member Since:
13 July 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
11 December 2009 - 1:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

Hi Rocky and Michelle

I am not a vet (the other Tazzie – Pam – is a vet), but my Tazzie was on Power Mushrooms for about 8 – 10 weeks. His Alk Phos did rise at the end. There is a possibility that it might have been related to the use of mushrooms, although I could find no evidence for that and did not ask the company. Most likely, the increase in Alk Phos was related to his cancer. Based on the symptoms he showed the last night and morning, I suspect the "C" was in his bones, which would give a high Alk Phos. His other blood results were fine.

A couple of weeks ago, I did dig around on the web to find out if any of the four mushrooms included in Power Mushrooms were potentially toxic. I could not find anything that indicated that they were.

Tazzie was starting to have mobility problems around 8-10 weeks ago due to his tumor (I'd have to check my records to confirm the date). As soon as I gave him the Power Mushrooms, he had an enormous surge of energy, surefootedness and overall happy demeanor. He started to have mobility problems again around 2 weeks ago. Given the Gargantuan (near a watermelon by the end) size of the bloody tumor on his leg, it was kind of amazing he did well that long. I am guessing that the mushrooms helped delay the final onset of those symptoms. They also seemed to satisfy his wolfish appetite a bit.

Keep in mind that K9 immunity is also a mushroom blend. The type of mushroom that is most often reported to be toxic are species from the genus Amanita (see below for something I found on mushroom poisoning in dogs). That type of mushroom is not in Power Mushrooms or in K9 Immunity . Plus a holistic vet prescribed the Power Mushrooms for Pam the vet. I believe that is where we tripups first encountered this product.

The directions on the power mushroom bottle is for humans. Use a lower dose for dogs. Tazzie, 35 kg (76 lbs), was on 2 pills per day (considered very low dose), although I think I added a 3rd for a couple of days at the end.

Susan

"Mushroom toxicity does occur in dogs and it can be fatal if certain species of mushrooms are eaten. Amanita phalloides is the most commonly reported severely toxic species of mushroom in the US but other Amanita species are toxic. Symptoms include Abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting diarrhea, convulsions, coma, death."

Winnipeg
Member
Forum Posts: 1349
Member Since:
13 July 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7
11 December 2009 - 1:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

p.s. I see Pam and Admin got to you by the time I posted my long-winded reply! Good luck, Rocky!

Michigan
Member
Forum Posts: 209
Member Since:
31 August 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
8
11 December 2009 - 1:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

Thanks Pam and Susan,

I think I will start Rocky on one per day (he is 88 lbs) and see how things go. He does tend to have a sensitive stomach and is prone to diarrhea, so I want to start slow.

Michelle

Winnipeg
Member
Forum Posts: 1349
Member Since:
13 July 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
9
11 December 2009 - 2:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

Hi Michelle

The only small 'bad' thing I noticed was that Tazzie would drool a lot when I gave him an mushroom pill, but I think that only happened when I gave it to him at the very same time as his Glucosamine Chondroiton pill. I have no insight into why this would happen, but mention it in case it is worthwhile. So I gave it at a differen time than the Gluc. Chond. I expect you will increase to two pills after a couple of days (the recommendation would be more like 2 pills twice per day, but we did not get that high or seem to need that much).

One friend called Tazzie "Dopamine Dog" when they saw how happy he seemed to be. But he would act normal and settle down so it did not seem to be a bad thing.

Susan

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online:
65 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices Used: Desktop (53), Phone (12)

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1003

Members: 12388

Moderators: 2

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 23

Topics: 14889

Posts: 209214

Administrators: admin, jerry, jim

Moderators: betaman, krun15

Tripawds Blogs is brought to you by Tripawds.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG