TRIPAWDS: Home to 22971 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Nor Cal Tripawds Meet-Up May 14, 2016
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4 May 2016 - 11:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi Sally! Vito had bi-lateral TPLO in Feb of '09. front right was amputated 10/15. he came up severely lame almost 2 weeks ago, wouldn't put any weight on his rear right. Doc is stumped as everything we've checked for comes up ok. Right now he's on Tramadol, Rimadyl, massage with essential oils, acupressure, and REST. This seems to be chronic with him as he was in the vet for the same thing almost a year ago to the day (pre-osteo dx)

it would really be nice to know what is going on so i can help him, but every test shows nothing 🙁 

even with only two "good" legs . . . and assistance with a home made sling - folks still do not believe me when i tell them he's closing in on 13. YEARS 🙂

i'm tryin to order him a harness, but having issues with the card. (the same one i've had for YEARS, and worked just fine earlier today) 

if he gets to the point where he will use the leg with confidence, i may consider coming to the meet up. he is quite comfortable in the truck, i'll just have to maybe sling him when he walks, and *try* to keep him from getting all excited around his new friends !

His girlfriend Rosie is coming this weekend, so he'll be very happy to see her.

Drive safe on the way up Alison and Jasper!

Livermore, CA

5 May 2016 - 10:40 am

It is a bit of a haul from the parking lot to the dog park part of the park- about a quarter mile if you follow the bike path.

If you do decide to bring Vito we can exchange phone numbers and you can text us when you get there.  We usually have enough people that someone can come help you and Vito make the trek.  I also have access to a fairly large garden type cart I can throw in my truck and bring along... now that I think about it I probably do that every time.

Anyway- the offer of help is open to anyone!

Karen

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

7 May 2016 - 12:05 pm

Hi Karen,

Thank you, that is a most appreciated offer !

but it's looking for certain that Vito won't be up for the journey, so unfortunately we will not be making the meet up.

I hope you all have a wonderful time tho 🙂

Los Angeles, CA
9 May 2016 - 9:27 am

Is there a way to post this pawty on the Tripawds FB page or would that attract perhaps the wrong kind of attention?

Jasper and I are SO excited to get the heck out of LA this weekend ... we might never come back! Looking forward to seeing all our friends Saturday! big-grin

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

Livermore, CA

9 May 2016 - 10:16 am

Is there a way to post this pawty on the Tripawds FB page

We just have to remind Rene, hint hint hint!!

We've had some wet weather this past week but according to the current forecast Saturday should be dry, partly cloudy, and around 68!

And it is supposed to be dry between now and then so the park should have a chance to dry out.

I will only be bringing Elly on Saturday, Obie gets to stay home.  Lets face it, he would much rather hang out with Grandpa!

See you all soon!

Karen

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Los Angeles, CA
9 May 2016 - 6:45 pm

PERFECT WEATHER!!! Sounds delightful....Looking forward to seeing everyone ... 

And HINT HINT Rene!!!! 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

9 May 2016 - 7:10 pm

Looks like it going to be a perfect day Saturday. It's usually cool in the mornings and warm in the afternoon.

Shelby has to go to the vet and get a shot in the BUTT on our way to the pawty. Don't worry, she'll be just fine for treat stealing, ball stealing, hugs stealing, under the table pizza stealing, jumping in on everybody's else's pictures, splash and dashes, and of course, cheese burgers, fries and a nap on the way home!!!!

Wooo Hooo Pawty in Nor-Cal!

the chauffeurway-cool

Virginia

9 May 2016 - 8:33 pm

Can't wait to see.everybody's pictures!!

And sending healing energy to Vito!

Love to.all!heart

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

10 May 2016 - 10:05 am

thank you Sally for the healing energy 🙂

we need all we can get right now . . .

Oakland, CA
15 May 2016 - 6:55 pm

Soooooo, the Pawty yesterday was PAWESOME! Peeps and dawgs from San Diego, LA, Sacramento (Davis?), Vacaville, the East Bay, and Santa Rosa represented almost the entire length of the Bear Republic in style! It was great to see all the regulars AND we gots PROOF that Mike and Iris really exist! 

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Mama's sad she didn't get better pictures of them!

Image Enlarger

Diane passed out treats!

Image Enlarger

Bernie and Linda acquired some fancy boots oh-my

Image Enlarger

Shelby and her Mama Cindi 

Image Enlarger

Hannah made sure Shelby's l'il red wagon didn't run away

Image Enlarger

Jasper Lily rocked her beach towel

Image Enlarger

Elly sez "You lookin' at ME?"

Image Enlarger

And Austin was his usual doofus selfclown

A wonderful time was had by all!! clapclapclap

Woohoo! Tripawds Rule!

Regulator of the Oaktown Pack, Sheriff of the Oaktown Pawsse, Founding member and President of the Tripawd Girldogs With 2 Names ROCK Club, and ... Tripawd Girldog Extraordinaire!

Visit Codie Rae's Blog!

15 May 2016 - 8:03 pm

Looks like a great time.  I want stories on what Bernie did LOL.  I always laugh at his antics. 

xoxoxo

hugs

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

Michigan
15 May 2016 - 8:21 pm

Oh, that looks like such a great time!  How wonderful!  heart

Meanwhile, Michigan got snow today sad

Donna

Donna, Glenn & Murphy 

Murphy had his right front leg amputated due to histiocytic sarcoma at 7 years old. He survived 4 years, 2 months & 1 week, only to be taken by hemangiosarcoma at 11 1/2 years 6/12/17  
Read about Murphy's Life on Three Legs

Donna.png

Virginia

15 May 2016 - 9:02 pm

Oh Donna! Snow??? Ugh!! We seemed.to.have had nonstop rain for a month, and continuing! But that's better than snow!!

Thanks for.posting these GREAT pictures! We really coukd use a reason to.smile around here the last couple.of days and.these photos sure did help!

What an.impressive group of.good.Looking.dogs! .And they all seem so content and calm!!

And Bill and Iris fot there!!! YAYclap Such a stunning girl! Love the UNSTOPPABLE tee.shirt!

Okay, it appears Elly is the class clown!

Shelby is the elegant Beauty Queen!

Bernie and Linda are the fashionistas with their "boots" and maybe a bit of class clown too (their humans, not them)!

Jasper Lily showing off her California chillaxin pose!

Hannah the Guard Dog.for the.event!

And Austin "pretending" to be a Doofus!! Good impersonation!

Can't wait to see more! Looks like a really good turn out. I.know it was so much fun!

Love to all!heart

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

PS. Hugs to Vito and his Dadheart

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Los Angeles, CA
16 May 2016 - 9:28 am

THESE are GREAT photos!!!! So much better than the ones I got! 🙂 Thank you for posting...

As always ... it was a great time. It was so nice to see our old friends, meet some new ones and relax in the park ... I even got a bit of a sunburn after the marine layer burned off. Jasper Lily and I love, love, love escaping LA and coming up! We can't wait for the next one. 

XOXO

On The Road

16 May 2016 - 12:45 pm

Awww! Applawse! Applawse! How neat!!! Alison and Jasper Lily, Mike and Iris too? WOW!

I'm so jealous we couldn't be there, it's so cool that the NorCal bunch continues these gatherings. Next time if anyone remembers to put an announcement in  Facebooger way ahead of time that would be awesome. Admin and I dropped our media / PR hats this time and didn't create an event to announce it to the FB crowd. Doh! Do keep us posted when the next one happens!

P.S. Who was the San Diego contingent? If you're thinking Bernie and Linda, they're from Orange County.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: jerry
Guest(s) 126
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17733
Moderators: 6