TRIPAWDS: Home to 23132 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
My 100 pound Rottweiler current story with osteosarcoma
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Livermore, CA

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11 May 2016 - 12:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi and welcome.  I just realized I welcomed Joy and Misha on your thread her but never said 'hi' to you!

It's OK to be nervous- this is a big surgery and change in 'normal' for Onyx.  But over and over we have seen here how well dogs adapt and how for us humans it takes a bit longer!

As others have said the recovery period can be tough- but considering the scope of the surgery it is still amazing how fast they cope!  Don't get discouraged when she is not herself- she will get there.

You are doing this FOR Onyx, not to her.  You are removing a source of pain that will only get worse, and giving her a chance at more quality time for snuggles, snacks and whatever else she loves to do.

Karen and the Spirit Pug Girls

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

13 May 2016 - 10:51 am

Dr just called and said Onyx is doing great, he said come an get her there is noting we are doing here that you cannot do at home.

He waked her outside to go potty but she didn't go, but he said she was looking at the cars wanting to get in one to go home 🙂

Let the journey begin....

On The Road

13 May 2016 - 1:10 pm

Pawesome! Please keep us posted.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

13 May 2016 - 9:40 pm

She is home and resting i tried about 10 different things for her to eat and she just turned up her nose. So I got her a cheeseburger and she ate most of it so I was able to give her her pain medicine 

She finally went pee after being home for 8 hours so that was good. 

Thanks agin to this wonderful site I just am amazed by this community they she has just joined. 

13 May 2016 - 9:48 pm

I am glad Onyx is home and doing pretty well.  Glad she ate a little something for you.  Sometimes the meds the first few days may make them not want to eat much but it will get better.  🙂  Glad she peed.  Don't worry if she doesn't poop for a few days because sometimes the meds can cause that too.  It took Sassy like 3-4 days to go.  1st she wasn't eating a lot & 2nd the pain meds can cause constipation.

hugs

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

Virginia

13 May 2016 - 11:41 pm

WELCOME HOME ONYX!! And YAY for pee.and for cheeseburger!!

Hugs!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Copperas Cove, TX
14 May 2016 - 5:51 am

Welcome home Onyx. bandit came home yesterday. He likes his vet but likes being home more!  Try a Kong with tempting treats to encourage eating .  Might help?

14 May 2016 - 7:27 am

Thanks I will try that. I have been trying to get her to eat something for the last 30 minutes so I can give her the rimadyl but she won't eat. 

Should I just give her the rimadyl without food? She also is on gabapentin 

14 May 2016 - 5:43 pm

It may take a few days for the appetite.  I bought rotisserie chicken every few days and I could get Buddy to eat it.

That was the ONLY think he would eat for days and I was able to get his meds down that way.

Sending warm thoughts and prayers for Onyx's recovery and for your strength.  

Tripawds Nation is here for you!  Don't forget to use the helpline if you need anything!  

Xoxo
Julie and Sweet Angel Buddy

14 May 2016 - 7:29 pm

OK so we got busted by the vet on call today when we had told him that she had eaten a cheeseburger yesterday so she would eat mer pain meds, felt like I was getting grounded 🙂 but whatever i know my dog better than him. He was saying ooh now she has an upset stomach.....

I did finally make something she did eat just wanted to post this in case anyone else was having issues with eating

I cooked some brown rice with the honest kitchen bone broth and some steamed carrots and sweet potato, she ate a good plate so I was able to give her her pain meds around 1.

She took a good nap than she got up and started staring at me I thought she had to go outside so i took her out nothing. When we came back in she jumped on the bed and just laid down like she normally does and YES her jumping up there scared me to death but she is comfortable and I am watching her so we does not try to get down by herself.

onyx bedImage Enlarger

Virginia

14 May 2016 - 8:22 pm

Oh Onux! You are a silly.boy! This update makes.me.smile!

And tell yojr vet wereq ALL bisted! When.it comes to getting.our dogs and cats to eat after surgery, we'll try ANYTHING! And then trying to coat their tummy with food so they can take their pain meds...yep...we're all busted!!

Your second entree after.the.cheeseburger sounds yummy...and probably one your vet woukd approve!

I know seeing Onyx back up on the sofa was good for both.of you! But no.more ju sweet boy! Maybe your human could make a platform.of sorts.so you can sort of "step" up on the sofa rather than jump.

True story...Bruiser Bruno's mom cut the legs.off her sofa so her Bulldog could get.on it safely!

Nugs!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

15 May 2016 - 5:38 am

I put my mattress on the floor so we could all sleep together, and the sofa was blocked off by pillows.  The hospital meds will wear off, and you don't want Onyx to get hurt while slightly "high."  After the staples came out, Otis was back on the sofa - the surgeon had wanted to wait a full month, but I didn't have the heart, or really the ability to keep him off.  I now have both the box spring and the mattress for me, but decided that the frame as well was just too much.  And personally, I don't see any problem with the cheeseburger in those circumstances (and I bet there might be others at some point in the future - Tripawds are easy to spoil!)

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

15 May 2016 - 7:46 pm

Yayyyy Onyx!!!

I am SO incredibly happy to read all of the new posts on the thread about your furbaby!!! I'm am so glad the surgery went well, and that she is on the road to recovery and doing well!!! Hang in there!!! It is hard to watch at first...I feel like Mischa is so fragile, even though she isn't...but it gets easier! 

Continuing to send you both love and all the best,

-Joy and Mischa

This is Mischa about a week post amp 🙂
13133087_3168649505340_660247842574857397_n.jpg?oh=377601964a697c01cfd75a8f50172fe4&oe=57A7DE10Image Enlarger

15 May 2016 - 9:20 pm

Hooray for both Mischa, who looks great, and Onyx!

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

Virginia

17 May 2016 - 8:07 pm

Standing tall and looking good Mischa! 🙂

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 244
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17883
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: