TRIPAWDS: Home to 23138 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Lexie update 5/24; more mets, PT, Leukeran, etc.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Virginia
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
24 May 2014 - 12:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi Tripawds friends! Sorry I've been bad about updates lately. And just a PSA for anyone happens to reading this who is within 30 days post op and wondering when their dog will start feeling more like himself/herself... I highly recommend upping people visits and dog visits and getting your dog out of the house to new places. I think it's helped Lexie a lot.

Back to the update. It's been a wild ride since my last post about starting and having to stop Palladia. Unfortunately Lexie's last chest scan showed more lung mets, so vet suggested Leukeran (similar to Cytoxan in some ways) since I didn't want to do traditional chemo given her needle issues.

I also made a long overdue appointment for physical therapy, which I wish I had done earlier...will write a separate post on that later.

At 13+ Lexie isn't a spring chicken, but still thought she was -- until recently. It was hard to see her so energetic on walks and then having breakthrough pain later in the day and especially in the evening. The PT vet was terrific, and helped me understand the pain and muscle spasms she was having post-amp and how she was compensating as a front leg amp who wants to keep up with her younger brother (plus we have two quadpawd/monkeybutt visitors we're taking care of as family members are dealing with some medical issues and had to travel out of town). 

The PT vet was really impressed that Lexie had started doing stairs on her own so quickly and was otherwise getting around so well. She said massage is really important so we've been doing more of that, which seems to be helping. I took off work yesterday and we did a water treadmill session. She loved it! After that they did some laser and massage. At our next vet visit we'll talk about possibly adding some muscle relaxants to her meds mix.

Speaking of swimming, Lexie is the proud owner of a new Ruffwear Float Coat . She was between sizes so I decided to take her to our local REI. REI doesn't allow dogs in the store but I figured they'd have a hard time kicking out a cute Tripawd in a cute red Ruffwear harness . ;-) They were really nice about it, and we ended up getting Lexie a small (she has a medium in the regular harness -- she now weighs closer to 27 lbs post-amp).  

Sunday we'll be heading to PA to my mom's farm which has a little pond that Lexie loves, and we're hoping to find some places near where we live to take her on weekends to swim.

Hindsight 20/20 I'm still so glad we did the amputation, even with lung mets -- just wish we had amputated sooner so the cancer had less time to grow. We're going to make the most of the time she has left -- and hopefully we'll have a chance to hang out with the wonderful Sally/Happy Hannah and Elizabeth/Jake and Tanner in June in Richmond!

Deb and Angel Lexie* Diagnosed at age 13. Tried radiation first; wish we had amputated upon diagnosis (even with lung mets). Joined Club Tripawd April 2014 & Lexie loved life on 3 legs! Advice: Start physical therapy as soon as your vet clears it, especially hydrotherapy if available :-) See Lexie pics here.  

Virginia

24 May 2014 - 1:29 pm

DEB AND LEXIE!!! Sooooooooo glad to jear from you!! I kmow you've had your paws full and a lot going on!

I just came side and thought I'd pop on jere for a quick second and there you are!

Deb, I tel ua' what, fir a senior gal with tnree legs and a few other "issues"...she really doing amazingy well!!! Heck, she's doing amazingly well for being thirteen plus regardless!!!

It sounds like yo REALY have a great PT who understands Lexie and her needs. And I'm really glad you're going with Leukran...that realy doesn't seem to show any side effects in dogs and it could indeed help!

Sassy got an additional seven great quality months even AFTER mets showed up!!!

And it sounds loke Lexie isn't showing any major side effects from those stupid things and that's really huge!!

Just want to add to the good ole' "second guessing" sceario we all do. Some have amputated at the very first sign of a problem...all work up was excellent..and they made it less time than Lexie.......some have amutated with mets and did very well just like Lexie. It's sich a crap shoot...but yoj already kow that. I thikthe second guessingis one more wau this piece of crap disease tries to "take away" from is staying in the present with our dogs and cats. Don't let it do that...Lexie sure isn't!!!

Sending you so much love and a plea for more pictures of that cutie pie!!!!!!

Sally amd Happy Hannah

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Virginia
24 May 2014 - 1:43 pm

Aww thanks, Sally -- great points, as always, and you're spot on with me needing to Be More Dog . Working on some pics now. smiley

Deb and Angel Lexie* Diagnosed at age 13. Tried radiation first; wish we had amputated upon diagnosis (even with lung mets). Joined Club Tripawd April 2014 & Lexie loved life on 3 legs! Advice: Start physical therapy as soon as your vet clears it, especially hydrotherapy if available :-) See Lexie pics here.  

Virginia
24 May 2014 - 2:36 pm

Underwater treadmill!

Image Enlarger

Virginia
24 May 2014 - 2:38 pm

Whee!!! Go Lexie!

Image Enlarger

Virginia
24 May 2014 - 2:47 pm

I have been wondering how Lexie was doing, so glad you could update! I ditto Sally, being more dog is the way to go (for ALL of us). We all look back thinking about the things we might have done a little differently, but also like Sally said it is such a crap shoot. You just never know. No matter what, Lexie is LOVED beyond measure..everything else is icing on the cake for her :) and no matter how much time Lexie has she gets to enjoy every bit of it without that ole painful leg bothering her. Thats a WIN! 

We're cheering for you Lexie girl!! clap

Mom to Tripawd Angels Jake (2001-2014) and Rosco (2012-2015) and Tripawd Tanner. “Whatever happens tomorrow, we had today; and I'll always remember it”  

Virginia

24 May 2014 - 5:46 pm

Yeah, that's right Elizabeth...she's pain free from that leg with cnstant ooen sores and that is indeed win!

Deb, you mentined (in PM) that Leukeran was makingmher a little wonky.....in what way? How are the side effects showing up?

Stupid tablet taking avout a gazillion hours t show the pic, so I'll come back to see 'em. Can't wait!!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Orrtanna Pa.
24 May 2014 - 6:52 pm

Love the underwater treadmill. We have nothing like that where I live. I keep telling my youngest, animal loving daughter to go back, get certified and start one. It would even be helpful for older, arthritic, quad paws. She looks like she is having such fun. Spending the day with her Momma just made it even better. love from, Lori and TY

TY GUY, Best Black Lab ever! Diagnosed  and had amp in January, 2014. Kicked MRSA's butt. Earned his angel wings on April 16, 2014. Run Free my boy and don't forget a shoe. Ty is a proud member of the " April Angels". Ty sent us Daryl, a Tripawd rescue in Sept. of 2016. Daryl is 5 +or -. We are also Pawrents to Chandler, a Border Collie mix who is 15 and 1/2, Lucy, a Corgi who is 7, 2 minis, 2 horses, and a feisty cat named Zoe. Zoe had a non skeletal Osteosarcoma removed in July 2015. No Chemo, she was at least 16. She is going strong although she is now completely blind. She is now close to 20 and her hobbies are eating and sleeping in front of her personal heater. 

24 May 2014 - 7:14 pm

Thanks for the update.  Glad to see the water treadmill.  I wish I would have done that with Sassy.  I am not even sure we have one but I think there is. 

I am sorry to hear about more mets.  All I can say is just keep plugging away.  Sassy fought with mets almost 8 months.  We almost celebrated a 10 month ampuversary.  So in my book we beat the odd especially with mets

Hugs

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

On The Road

24 May 2014 - 10:29 pm

Gah! I had a big long response typed out and lost it. Oh darn. Well I just want to say:

lung mets suck (but you know that!) and I'm so sorry, but it sure doesn't seem like Lexie is letting it get her down right?!

You are doing a fantastic job and your vet rocks. It's awesome you're giving leukeran a shot (we've written about it in a few posts here). Remember, no regrets OK? We all do the best we can with the information we have at hand. Lexie has no regrets, neither should you. Follow her lead, she's oh so wise.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Westminster, MD
25 May 2014 - 9:37 am

Lexie is such a beautiful girl........just want to say, I wish the best for both of you going forward, and enjoy everyday to the fullest.....

Love,
Bonnie & Angel Polly

25 May 2014 - 5:26 pm

LOVE that photo of Lexie rocking the underwater treadmill!  Great job!  Also glad she's taking over at REI 🙂  Thanks for the update Deb - I think of you guys often!  We are working on our PT plan for Rosco - seeing Lexie in action is a good nudge :)

Rosco is a mini-schanauzer diagnosed w/ melanoma on his right hind paw on 4/4/14 after two months of monitoring & testing.  Rosco joined team tri-pawd on 4/9/14.  He will be 10 years old in May and lives in Brooklyn. See cartoon Rosco here & Rosco videos here.

26 May 2014 - 5:42 am

Hi Deb

That pic of Lexie on the water treadmill is the epitome of being "more dog".

I love it :)

I'm going to get Tucker a Ruffwear swim coat too....he loves the water but hasn't been swimming since his amputation last September.

Many hugs

Linda and Tucker

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: mischief
Guest(s) 196
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17892
Moderators: 6