Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat
Tripawds is the place to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.
JUMP TO FORUMS ↓
Join The Tripawds Community
Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:
Get the new book by the Tripawds founders for life lessons learned from their Chief Fun Officer Jerry G. Dawg! Download the e-book, and find fun Be More Dog apparel and gifts in the Be More Dog Bookstore.
22 August 2011
Hi this is Cadence and I broke into mommy's machine. She won't find out because when I raided the litter box as a puppy she never caught me but just wondered why I was smiling a lot that day.
Well I just have to say I don't know what all this fuss is about over my baby brufer. Here are the differences I have noticed so far and why I think I am more pawesome and cute:
1. I go potty when I am told. Baby brufer sometimes does not go at all or does one and not the other. Sometimes he even makes a mess in his crate. He smells. Mommy says that is because babies sometimes cannot hold it. I do not smell and I go when I am told and if it is raining and I know I need to go fast, I go, as soon as mommy tells me. I even demonstrated for baby brufer and he still does not get it. He makes mommy say “go potty” over and over which makes me cover my ears.
2. He eats dried leaves like they are going out of style. Doesn't he know leaves are not food?
3. I do not get baths several times a week (refer to number 1).
4. I am dignified and stay right by mom on my walks. Baby Brufer gets too excited and twists around on his leash like the Pinky the Cat adoption video (see:
Even my older brufer Newton the cat does not behave in this undiginified manner.
5. I do not bite at the tail of my older brufer Newton the cat. Little Brufer does.
6. Little brufer is loud (another undignified behavior which makes me have to cover my ears).
7. I don't try to eat little brufur's food. He tried to eat mine. I had to “talk” to him about that once.
Mommy says I need to be patient and I used to be this undignified but I highly doubt that. What I want to know when does this get better? If you have a baby brufer and are in this same situation, please HELP! – Cadence
Cadence Faye: Born 10/30/04, stepped into our hearts 12/23/2004. Rear leg tumor found 7/24/11 by mom and dad, Xray on 7/25/11, Osteosarcoma suspected 7/26/11, amputation 7/29/11, Carboplatin started 8/23. Met free so far!
25 April 2007
You? Undignified? I doubt that too, I just can’t picture it.
Baby brufers are a pain but you know when he gets bigger, he’ll have your back if any dawgs bother you, so that’s one good thing about ’em!
1 February 2011
When Rio was a baby, she was just like your brufer. She was so annoying to her big sisters. She would steal their toys and try to cuddle with them when they didn’t want to cuddle. But then she grew up and got all dignified, and she got a baby sister. The baby sister (Zeffy) was very annoying to Rio — stealing her toys and trying to cuddle and biting her ears and tail. Maybe one of these days your pawrents will get your baby brufer a baby of his own, and this baby will test your brufer’s patience the way he is testing yours. Call it puppy karma.
~ ~ Rio ~ ~
4 June 2011
5 March 2011
August 16, 2006 to November 28, 2011
TATE ~ Forever in our hearts.
17 February 2010
Maybe your mommy can get your baby brufer a baby sister named pinky the cat. I think then he would be too busy to worry about eating your food……
Sadie is my 9yr old Rott/Shepherd mix. Diagnosed with osteosarcoma in her right scapula 1/28/10. Our brave girl had her amputation 2/13/10 and her last chemotherapy on 6/6/10. Unfortunately, a tumor appeared in her back right leg and on 10/7/2010 Sadie's earthly journey came to an end. On 10/24/2010 we adopted Ranger, a handsome Rott/Lab mix tripawd (got hit by a car) I think Sadie sent him to us.
28 November 2008
All I can say is Duke understands exactly. His new little sister is a lot like your little brufer. She tried to eat his food too, and he jumped all over her little adolescent doggie self.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul. Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.