TRIPAWDS: Home to 23138 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
2000 Posts 22 Months
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
26 September 2010 - 5:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I thought it only appropriate to save the 2000th post for Trouble's monthly update.  We have been a part of this family for 22 months, and wow, what a ride.  The family no one wants to belong to, yet is so thankful for.  You guys ROCK!

Trouble had her six month blood work done whle she was kenneled last week.  It couldn't be more perfect.  It was improved from this time last year.  She had one liver enzyme just slightly over normal.  High normal is 118, she is at 124 - nothing to be concerned about. She continues to eat her home cooked diet, although we are now maintaining, so she is getting a larger portion.  

Yesterday she took a tour around the yard, not her normal parameter check, but almost as extensive. As the weather begins to cool this week, I expect she will have slightly longer tours outside.  I continue to struggle with giving the Rimadyl and chancing the liver enzymes rising.  For now as long as she gets about faily well with the supplements alone, I'm going to stick with that, even though I know a low dose of Rimadyl will do a world of good.  The what if's just never stop.  What if I find out tomorrow she has another cancer, she could have been having Rimadyl and feeling good all this time.  We do what we feel is right and hope for the best.  It is all we as humans can do.

We finally have all the parts for her wagon, and I hope to get it together for her today or tomorrow.  Maybe that will be my project while Bob watches Houston stomp on Dallas today.  Getting the fraidy dog to ride in it may be the real challenge!

Her allergies are a bit kicked up right now and I'm having to Benedryl her more than I would like, but then again, chewing her tail until it bleeds really isn't a great option!

She received a magic juju ball from Charon & Gayle yesterday.  I'm counting on it to ward off all evil, that's what juju balls do, right? I must monitor she while she plays with it - she's always been a suffie killer, and I don't want this one to die the stuffie death the others have met.  Thank you so much Charon & Gayle for thinking of my girl.  Pictures coming, I promise.

I have to call this another good month.  The supplements and weight loss seem to have kicked the mobility problem to the corner, something I am so thankful for.  She rarely stumbles or falls anymore, and there for a while it was a frequent occurance.  We are ever greatful to have been given another good month.

As Dan would say - Paws up to all our Tripawd friends!

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Michigan
26 September 2010 - 7:53 am

Congratulations Trouble!! 22 Months seems like forever and is something all of us hope to celebrate with our dogs one day too. We look up to you as an inspiration and it warms our hearts to see Trouble reach this fantastic milestone.

Great job on the weight loss. I know it isn't easy, but so worth it to see how much mobility improves after shedding a few pounds.

Keep up the good work and kick back and enjoy the wagon ride Trouble - you deserve it.

Michelle and Rocky

Greater Western Washington area
26 September 2010 - 8:44 am

Yea for Trouble and Yea for you!  Those are amazing improvements you have made to her life.  It isn't easy to get any dog to lose weight, much less while they have limited mobility issues.  Great job.  I love when I get a chance to read 22 months, or some equally great number.  That is a wonderful milestone.  I hope to read about many more like this to come with you and your sweet girl. 

I can't tell you not to worry about tomorrow, that would be an innane comment, completely unrealistic.  But what I can say is "It is what it is", meaning there is nothing you can do about anything right now, so if you can't fix it or adjust it, realize that and don't let it take over this day for you.  I feel really good about Trouble, I think she is going to be just great.  I can't wait to hear that she is doing well tomorrow and she is thriving. 

Congrats on all of your  and Troubles accomplishments,

Elizabeth and Sammy

Diagnosed with osteosarcoma in the right front leg 8/23/10,

leg fractured 8/27/10,

leg amputated 8/30/10

http://sammyand.....pawds.com/

I couldn't begin to say how special Sammy is to us.  Living and laughing with and loving this wonderful boy is priceless.

Winnipeg
26 September 2010 - 8:56 am

Trouble

Terrific to hear your good news!! Now that you are on maintenance, I'm sure you can sneak in a few treats for this special occasion - 22 months ampuversary, Greeeaatt 6-month checkup, and becoming the officlal tripawds Blabbermouth (but I bet Comet will quickly overtake you on that one and in far less than 22 months).

So, to keep it at 2000 posts, are you going mute on us?

knoxville, tn
26 September 2010 - 9:25 am

trouble, you are continuing to inspire us all!!!  22 months and counting - green beans (aka trouble beans at our house) for everybody.  oh..and the juju ball makes a good pillow for those medicinal naps as well.....

gayle & charon

Life is good, so very, very good!!! Gayle enjoyed each and every moment of each and every wonderful day (naps included).  She left this world December 12, 2011 – off on a new adventure.

Love Never Ends

http://etgayle

26 September 2010 - 9:38 am

Hop hop Hooray, good news for Troubs!!! 22 months is just Pawsome!! I hope Chloe will one day celebrate that wonderful milestone!  Trouble is such an inspawration for sure. Keep it up girl! superstar

-Chloe's mom

Chloe became a rear amp tripawd on 7-29-10. Another tumor was removed on front leg 2-20-14. Found 3rd tumor on neck 2-2015, but she's still kicking cancer's butt at age 14. Chloe's blog

On The Road

26 September 2010 - 1:02 pm

We're doin' the Hoppy Dance for you Trouble!

You are a remakrable example of what can happen when we take charge of our health and focus on being fit and fabulous. When it comes to losing weight for the sake of getting around better on 3 legs, you have earned a PhD in that field! We'll always point to your success to other newbies who are concerned about their beefy pups living life on 3 legs.

Can't wait to see you in your wagon, that's gonna be rad. Trouble on Wheels! Wheeeeeeeee!!!!

Tell your Mom to remember Shelby's wagon training tips when training you in your new chariot, OK?

Hoppy Day! Hoppy Day! Congrats again Trouble, you're GREAT!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

26 September 2010 - 1:08 pm

jerry said:

When it comes to losing weight for the sake of getting around better on 3 legs, you have earned a PhD in that field! We'll always point to your success to other newbies who are concerned about their beefy pups living life on 3 legs.

I've had Duke on the diet for less than a week and I can already see a difference.  It is amazing at taking the weight off, yet has enough substance that they aren't hungry all the time.  Really awesome!

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Las Vegas, Nevada
26 September 2010 - 1:46 pm

FINALLY!

I love the 2000 post coupled with such a terrific Trouble update!  Who's double happy?  MEEEEE!  Can't wait to see the new and improved Trouble (along with the juju toy) in pictures! 

As a side note Shanna, the vet put Comet on Doxycycline 4 weeks ago for the low blood platelet count.  Interestingly, Doxy also has arthritic fighting properties (haven't looked this up myself, just basing it on what he said) - I have been amazed at how much better Comet's mobility is since taking it.  So much so, I've asked for  it  and got 2 more months of an RX.   Perhaps Dr. Pam can fill us in on why Doxy helps with arthritis. 

If you hate taking Rimadyl, maybe Doxy might be your answer?  And perhaps throw in the muscle relaxer, methocarbamol (causes no drowsiness).  Comet is on daily: Cipro (for the neck disc infection from last year - staying on it for life), Rimadyl, Doxy (can stay on that long term also if I desire) and every now and then, the muscle relaxer, methocarbamol.  Her improvements have amazed me for over the last month.  For the first time in a long time, I don't worry about her feeling well.  I can see it in her eyes. She just needs to drop about 3-4lbs and I think she'll be almost puppy-like!

Congrats again!

YAY Trouble!

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

26 September 2010 - 6:17 pm

Happy Ampuversary, Trouble!  You are our hero - 22 months is pawsitvely pawsome!!!!!  We are all having ice cream here in your honor -- sorry, we're out of Trouble beans or we'd be having those.  WAY TO GO!!! big-grin

Hugs,

Holly, Zuzu and Susan

Holly joined the world of tripawds on 12/29/2009. She has a big little sister, Zuzu, who idolizes Holly and tries to make all of her toys into tripawds in Holly's honor. And she's enjoying life one hop at a time!

http://anyemery.....ipawds.com

Portage Lake, Maine
26 September 2010 - 6:55 pm

And paws up to you and Trouble!!!  WOW!!!  You go Trouble!!! Kick that cancer in the A$$!!! winker

Tracy & Maggie

Maggie was amputated for soft tissue sarcoma 10-20-09

Maggie lost her battle with kidney disease on 8-24-13

http://maggie.t.....t-24-2013/

Golden Girls
27 September 2010 - 9:05 am

Yeah for Trouble! You are one pawsome pooch! We'll have ice cream tonight in your honor!

Cathy/Jane/Spirit Skyler/Chloe

Arizona
27 September 2010 - 7:41 pm

Hooray for Trouble, you are so pawsome!  22 months WOW,  what an inspiration you are.

Jo Ann & Tasha

Tasha 8 years old, First cancer diagnosis 6/26/09, Last cancer diagnosis 9/26/09, Amputation 10/01/09, Loving our girl moment by moment.

Tasha lost her battle and became my Angel on May 4 2011. Forever in my heart….

Los Angeles
27 September 2010 - 8:24 pm

Wow! 22 Months and 2000 posts- love to hear those numbers! Trouble is a true inspiration and it's so wonderful that she's doing even better now.  We love to hear these kinds of updates...so hopeful for the rest of us.   I know you've posted Trouble's diet before and would be interested in seeing it again...is there a link for this? That would be great to see - sounds like it's working a lot of juju too! laugh 

Way to go Trouble!  

My sweet golden Mackenzie.  She became my angel on Dec 29, 2010 at the age of 8 1/2  although she was always my angel from the time we brought her home.  She was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in Sept 2009 and officially became a tripawd (front leg) on Nov 5, 2009.  She will be forever in my heart and now she's running free with all of our other tripawd heroes.  I love you Mackenzie!

27 September 2010 - 8:40 pm

kbryant said:

I know you've posted Trouble's diet before and would be interested in seeing it again...is there a link for this? That would be great to see - sounds like it's working a lot of juju too! laugh 

Way to go Trouble!  

Kami, the diet is very simple.  You can use canned veggies, fresh, or frozen.  This is easiest for us.

1 can sliced carrots

1 can unsalted green beans

1/2 cup cottage cheese (not low fat)

1/2 cup ground beef (I use turkey - Troubs is allergic to beef)  Sometimes I substitute fish or chicken

1 tsp dicalcium phosphate

I will have to find the instructions for feeding amounts.  For Trouble's size 57 pounds, she got 2 cups twice a day.  Now that we are maintaining she gets about 2 1/4 cup in the morning and 2 1/2 cup in the evening.

She gets 1200mg fish oil with each meal, glucosamine with each meal, and Missing Link Well blend Plus

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 163
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17889
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: