TRIPAWDS: Home to 23092 Members and 2158 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Surgery today 5/5/2021
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12 May 2021 - 11:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I just looked at the RAWR website. According to the website, there are no stores in my location that carry the food.  That is, of course, incorrect, as I have two stores near me that carry the food. So if you don't see a store near you, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not carried. 

BTW, Moxxor always has discounts in its emails. This weeks promo code if KIDS10. So if anyone decides to use Moxxor, might as well get 10% off. 😉 

I'm not sure I'll do a good job explaining energy work. But it's basically the idea that our bodies hold energy in them and that treating the energetic body helps heal the physical body.  According to the Healing Touch for Animals website (which is just one form of energy work):

• Energy medicine treatment initiates relaxation to the body.
  • The relaxation response releases endorphins in the brain.
  • The endorphins relax the muscles.
  • Relaxed muscles create more space between cells providing increased circulation.
  • The increased blood flow elevates oxygen levels throughout the body.
  • Accelerated blood flow allows nutrients to be absorbed more efficiently.
  • Enzymes build for proper digestion.
  • Hormones regulate to strengthen the body’s constitution.
  • Toxins release from the body.
  • Healthy cells begin to regenerate.
  • A sense of well-being is established which promotes healing.
  • When the body has a stable physiology, the immune system is regulated. The resulting stability within the immune system affects the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual facets of the body’s energy field supporting self-healing.

I incorporated energy work into Rita's treatment for cancer and now give her energy work for kidney disease. She also gets sub Q fluids for kidneys, so I can't--or won't--say that energy work has cured her. But, her kidney numbers have come down to almost a normal level.  It's the perfect example of using energy work along with traditional methods and getting a great result. 🙂 Hope that helps.

Virginia

12 May 2021 - 1:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks so much for taking the time to chronicle some of the options you are using for sweet Rita.  Every helpful tip is golden around here👍   

Continuing  to cheer for that sweet Rita and sweet Abbey💖💖,

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

12 May 2021 - 2:35 pm

kmdenver said

It's the perfect example of using energy work along with traditional methods and getting a great result. 🙂 Hope that helps.

WOW!  This is a wealth of knowledge.  Thank you.  I have so much research to do.  

I received an initial pathology report that is a bit confusing.  They confirmed Abbey's cancer is a sarcoma, but pathology is also doing additional stains as they are suspecting lymphoma as well.  It's heart-wrenching to say the least.  If I had known all of this, I never would have put her through the surgery.  Prognosis appears to not be good, but I am still hopeful that the final results will be different than anticipated.

On The Road

12 May 2021 - 2:49 pm

Sorry to hear about the report. Definitely talk to your vet about the findings and as tough as it is to know what you know, remember, a prognosis is just a guess really. It's based on averages that don't take into account Abbey's physiology. We see many pets go way past the prognosis, you just never know. Plus, there may easy therapies that can help boost her quality of life even with cancer, it's not always a death sentence. 

I know it's hard, but stay hopeful and remember, today is all we have, even without cancer. Abbey just wants to live each minute to the max with you, she's not focused on anything but that. You can do it!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

12 May 2021 - 4:44 pm

Thank you, Jim.

I read Jerry's story and it brought me to tears.  Jerry was a special soul and he brought such love to your life.  

I needed to hear your comment that Abbey just wants to live each moment to the max.

Thank you, I hear that and I believe that is the truth.

Virginia

12 May 2021 - 6:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

If I had known all of this, I never would have put her through the surgery.

Once you've had a chance to take a deep breath and step away from the fear,   I think you will KNOW you made the best decision for Abbey regardless of the path report.. 

▪︎  As we say around here, prognosis. schmognosis.  As Jerry basically said, we do indeed see dogs and cats blow statistics out of the water.  Abbey has already proven she's  not your "average" cat.  She is a strong and fierce fighter!  And nothing has changed in Abbey's mind.  A "report" doesn't  mean squat  to her!

▪︎You have given her a chance for  a pain free life with that bum leg gone.  Without the surgery, It is very likely  that the pain would have gotten so bad by now and her quality  would have gone downhill, you would have had to "release" Abbey.

▪︎Had you not given Abbey a chance with the amputation, you would have  never known if she could be one of the many who beat the odds. 

▪︎Abbey knows you did this FOR her. Right now it's still very early in rec and we all feel like we did this TO them this early in recovery.  Her sparkle will come back bigger and brighter than ever!

And FWIW,  there was some "confusion " as to whether my Happy Hannah's lymph  nodes were involved or not.  When I had her amputation  (osteo) I had not found this site yet.  Based on what I had "googled", had I known the lymph was involved  (supposedly), I probably would not have proceeded.  Had I not proceeded I would only have had weeks with her, if that.  Instead,  she and I shared a glorious one year and two months of pure bliss!

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 219
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17848
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: