TRIPAWDS: Home to 23112 Members and 2160 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
BAILEY'S FIRST CHEMO TREATMENT YESTERDAY! 2/28/14
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
28 February 2014 - 7:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Good morning.

Well we went for a consultation and they did draw blood and said it looked good after about 40 minutes of the doctor talking to us my husband wanted to think about it but he said I need to call my daughter.  So he stepped out and I stayed in with the doctor and said I was leaning toward it but was afraid at how she did with her amp. surgery.

After the telephone conversation with my daughter we did our first treatment of 450mg of Carboplatin.  It took all of ten minutes for the infusion.  She was worked up on the way home because she doesn't like car rides, but was fine when we got inside, she went to her bed and took a short nap then chowed on a McDonalds cheeseburger... I know, she didn't want her other food and we had given her a pill for nausea and I wanted her to get something in her stomach.

The anti-nausea medication is Ondansetron/8mg.  Well during the night I woke up a few times to check on her because I was sleeping close by her on the floor.  Well she wet her bed twice last night and I'm not sure if it's from the nausea meds because after she took that she was out for the night but we did wake her at 10:00p.m. it was dry, then when I checked her and 1:30 her ortho bed was soaked.  So change everything out bring up another bed put white clean (hotel towels 🙂  ) down then a couple of blankets.  Then again when my husband takes them out at 5 or 5:30 everything was soaked again and you can see it's urine with the little light yellow on the dried part... poor baby.  I don't want her to get a cold.

She ate breakfast like a champ and I'm going to take her for a short walk.  I think we might need to put her on something so she doesn't get a cold or sick?  Anyone have any experience like this?

Say prayers.  God give us strength and wrap his arms around all of us. Amen.

Tracy & Bailey

On The Road

28 February 2014 - 9:57 am

Hi Tracy, I love how your whole family was involved in the decision, no matter what happens, that is a great source of strength to have you all on the same page.

Ondansetron is a great anti-nausea drug. I'm sure it will make a huge difference in helping her feel better. Stay in touch with your vet about her symptoms before introducing anything new into her regimen. The only way to tell what's bothering her is the process of elimination, adding new things will make it much more difficult.

Good luck today, please keep us posted.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

28 February 2014 - 11:40 am

I talked to the oncologist today and she said that Bailey shouldn't be showing any side effects yet.  She seems to think that the drinking issue was from stress and not the anti-nausea.  So I don't know if I should give it to her today or not?  Thoughts?  She's kept her morning food down.  Didn't want a piece of chicken and cheese from the frig. which is unusual.  Wish I knew how I should do things.  I wish I knew if her belly was upset.

Los Angeles, CA
28 February 2014 - 11:53 am

I think refusing food is a sign of nausea (but I am not a vet). When Shelby refuses food (and she never does that as she's always been a healthy eater) it usually means slight nausea. Especially if it is 'treat' like food like chicken or cheese. Did they give her a shot of anti-nausea while she was there? With shelby's treatments, we would get the IV treatment, a shot of anti-nausea and pills to bring home to stay on top of the nausea. Shelby had cerinia (sp). She would get one a day. 

I agree with Jerry - I wouldn't add anything new but keep an eye on how she does. All dogs do react differently. And if she doesn't like to ride in the car, she might still be a bit stressed from all that. 

Good luck! 

Alison and Shelby 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

Virginia

28 February 2014 - 12:10 pm

Okay---good! You're started on a plan and can move forward with confidence.....because you can always stop!!

Not familiar with that anti- ausea drung...we were given Cerenia. But I didn't even give it to her as she never showed signs of nausea...maybe I did once, can't remember. Some give the meds regardless as a precaution.

BURGER is a great idea! Heck, anything that's not going to harm them that they'll eat right now while rebuilding strength, I' say let 'em have it! You can continue to focus on good healthy utrition as Bailey's appetite picks up.

I'M NO VET!! There, disclaimer done. If Bailey's not showing nauseous symptons, I would skip the pill for now...just do whatever your vet recommended.
Sometimes...not always...but if lethargy or nausea sets in with Carboplatin it can be...BUT NOT ALWAYS between the third and fifth...maybe even seventh day.

I've forgotten..was Bailey not drinking? Did you try the ice cream in the water scenario? I was still putting ice cream in Hapy Hannah's water well ito the third week before she started drinking on her own!

WHAT did the vet say about peeing in the bed?? Is this a sympton of that nausea pill? Does the pill make them drowsy? Just curious why she peed...it's god that she was sleeping so soundly and comfy though, so no worries' just curious.

I remember when I brought Hapy Hannah home from ner first chemo it was one of the first nights she slep straight through..long and hard...and it realy was a good turn around point. I think she actually started feeling better and better with each chemo!!

Don't worry about Bailey "catching" a cold, okayZ? If the peeing continues, just go get some of those prtective, absorbent mattress pads theyhave at CVS or Walgreens, Target...just lay them between Bailey and the blankies...they're very absorbent and wick the moisture away pretty good.

Remember, all is well in Bailey's world and you are surrounded by love okay?

BREATHE B R E A T H E.........bring a calm, co fident and positive energy to Bailey...he will definitely reflect that back to you.

GREAT JOB EVERYONE! Looks like so eone may be getting another cheesburger soon!!

Love and light!

Sally and Happy Hannah

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

1 March 2014 - 10:20 am

Well, it's Saturday and Bailey doesn't want to eat.  She has had her nausea pill since Thursday and something whether it be the chemo or pain meds she is just so thirsty and doesn't want to eat. I'm really worried about her.  I'm trying everything. So I'm not sure if I give her the pill today even though she's not eating because she's not sick?  She just is sleeping.  Last night she drank a bunch and wet on her ortho bed in her sleep... but I had enough towels under her that it didn't get through (everything can get washed). So my daughter and I slept on the floor close by and I kept taking her outside ever hour and a half.  I did pick the water up about 11 p.m. she woke up around midnight in my face wanting water and I gave her a little and told her to go night, night.  She did well for the rest of the night.  But now doesn't want to eat... I'm leaving it down, my other great dane is on guard but she hasn't helped herself like she normally would.  I'm cooking chicken and will probably go grill a hamburger and put cheese on it... wish me luck!

Thanks for the support!  Much hugs and love!

Tracy and Bailey

Virginia

1 March 2014 - 10:49 am

Okay, we're wrapping up some freight trains of good luck and shippng them off to you! Gonna' fill up some cargoplanes full too!

Did the vet say anything about her peeing "accidents". I'm sure they've checked her out thoroughly for any urinary infections, cystitis, etc.

And give your other pup a hug for not eating Bailey's food! That takes a lot of restraint!

She did eat good yesterday, right? So try not and be too concerned...yeah, right!!! Don't know what to tell you about the anti nauseua pill. Maybe see if she gets excited about the chicken a d cheese and amaybe giving the pill won't be an issue because she'll gobble it up!!

Paws crossed foryou! Overall though, she's alert? Engaged? Tail wags?
Remeber too, she's not doing a lot of exercise right now, so her appetite won't be as big as normal amyway.

Love and hugs!

Sally and Happy Hannah

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

New Haven, CT
1 March 2014 - 10:54 am

She had her chemo yesterday, Fri Feb 28, right?  Side effects usually appear days 3-5, but that's for most pups.  Sounds like Bailey is a special exception - both for amputation recovery and chemo.  She's a larger breed and recovery can take longer.  Compound that with a rocky recovery, sub-care by her vet, eating and drinking problems, and now chemo...  she may just be dealing with too much.  She ate yesterday?  I'd have to assume the anti-nausea pill is a GOOD thing.  If it were me, I'd keep up with it and I'd be doing all sorts of things to get her to eat, drink, pee, and poo.  Her pee accidents are concerning, though.  Is her poo back to normal?  What does her vet or onco think about her midnight pee accidents?  What's her pain med situation?  Is she still on those meds?  Anything else new in her life that's adding stress?  Like, is she sleeping in a new place?  Are you home more or less often?

We want to help!  Please provide more details.

Stay strong!!!  Time will heal!

~ Katy & Jackson

ACL tear in right hind leg 12/5/12 and scheduled ACL repair surgery 12/21/12. Pre-op xrays revealed osteosarcoma. Amputation 12/28/12.  Chemo (carboplatin) started Jan 10, 2013 and ended on April 5, for a total of 5 doses. He handled carbo like a champ!  No side effects.  We started metronomic therapy at his third chemo and have been also doing some holistic treatments.  He's a lively, playful 10 year old huskie-boarder collie and a very proud member of the Winter Warriors!  Our love. Our funny little guy!

On The Road

1 March 2014 - 10:58 am

I hope you guys have a good day today and she chows down on the good grub!

One idea: it is OK to put her water up after 8 pm or so at night, depending on how early you all get up. This will help prevent accidents on her bed.

Be taking notes on the symptoms and relay them to your vet for peace of mind OK?

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Los Angeles, CA
1 March 2014 - 12:14 pm

Here's some thoughts about the not-wanting to eat, what do you serve her food in? A metal bowl? Sometimes chemo/meds can affect their tastebuds. I know that 3 days after Shelby's treatments, she would refuse food in her bowl - she would eat cookies, out of my hand (not something I encourage) and then finally, off of my china. Just a thought. We did that for a few days and then we went back to our metal bowl and all is fine. Sounds like you are cooking for her (I do that now too for Shelby and we don't have as many food issues).

Also my vet told me that while it might bug ME, it is ok for them to go a couple days w/out food. 

The peeing in the bed thing is concerning. What does your vet say about that? Maybe get her some doggy diapers? She has been through a lot and she is a fighter! Stay strong - it WILL help Bailey - a lot! 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

1 March 2014 - 12:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Katy and friends,

Bailey had her first treatment of Carboplatin (450 mg) on 2/27/14 (Thursday).  She was given Ondansetron to be given by mouth once daily for next 5 days to prevent nausea.  She seems like she wants to be outside, so we take her out every chance we get.  I'm a stay at home Mom so routine has not changed.  Both my danes did get new ortho beds but they are in the same location that the other beds were.  I have always slept in by them for the last 3 years since my back surgery... the couch is easier and closer to the ground for me... (family with all sorts of problems... hell to get old... wait I'm only 50  winker )

Called the vet Friday morning after the night of accidents and they said it shouldn't have anything to do with her chemo?  Keep an eye on her, fever etc... and so far no fever.  Call Monday if it keeps happening. Bailey is so sensitive to any drug so I'm not sure.  I have been giving her the anti nausea meds as instructed (but not yet today.)  She hasn't showed signs of nausea and she didn't eat the day of chemo in the morning... but a cheeseburger that night (Thursday) and that was it.  She did just eat a single serving of whole yogurt.  But nothing else seems to interest her.  She has just been sleeping most of the time... gets up and I take her out.  Last night I didn't sleep well I kept taking her out if she would stir.  I will call Monday morning ASAP... she's not running a fever; if she does I will bring her to the Critical Care.  Maybe she is just going to be one of the few that the chemo hits hard at the beginning and not at day 4 or 5?  I hope it doesn't get worse.

My husband was eating pizza and broke off a piece with cheese and hamburger and put it on her bed... she took her nose and shoved it off and lifted her blanket with her nose and covered it up... then took her nose and kept rubbing it back and forth on her bed like she was trying to get the smell of it off her nose or she was upset with us or something...(we couldn't help but laugh as my 152 pound 9 year old Harlequin just turn her head in different directions at her wondering whats up with that...)  I hope that she' is ok from being put under during surgery.  Worry, worry.

Keep the support coming because IT REALLY HELPS!

HUGS

Tracy & Bailey

Virginia

1 March 2014 - 12:35 pm

Yeah, I love the visual of her shoving the pixxa away and coveringit up! I think it's o e of those,,,"I dn't wat it right now...I'll save it for later...but I'm going to hide it and put my scent all over it so no one else can have it!!

Have you tried havng so eone come a d kock on tne door or ring the doorbell? So eone she realy likes who can co e in with all sorts of enthusiasm AND bringher a burger, or chicken? Someti es they will take some food from so eone else but not you!

Beng tired this early n and wanting to rest is noral for larger breeds. I know the not eating is worriso e and the the peeing. It cojld be that she sleeps so soundly she's not even aware she has to go.

And yeah, there are no iron clad rules in this game...it could ndeed be that the chemo ks harder on her now as oppsed to n a few days (if at all).

I assume she's plenty hydrated even if she's peeing alot, so that shouldn't be a proble. Let us kow how the chicken goes. Oh ueah, try cat food! so et es they'll eat cat food when all else fails! We'll hold off n tne deer poo for now though!!

Come n Bailey! We're cheerng for ou!!

Love and hugs!

Sally and Happy Hannah

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: baileylab
Guest(s) 294
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17865
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: