Join The Discussion
Learn about life on three legs in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free to take advantage of member benefits:
- Instant post approval.
- Private messages to members.
- Subscribe to favorite topics.
- Join the Live Chat and more!
What Is The KillBarney Tour?
Get the KillBarney Tour Book for photos and stories of Tripawds members around the globe!
A A A
28 January 2017
Our 12.5 year old needs to have 8 rounds of chemo. He had a mast cell tumor removed. His lymph nodes were clear. But, it's recommended that we do chemo.
My issue is the cost of the drug and how they want to charge us. Its a 10 mg vial. Although the usual dose for a dog his size is about 2.3 mg/infusion, they charge a flat rate of $109.00. I could get the same drug for half that amount. But, they won't allow it. I'm looking for a vet hospital in NYC that won't charge me for 10mg when all they use is 2.3. Or, allow me to bring them the drug if they write a prescription.
Felling like I'm being ripped off
25 April 2007
Welcome and good luck finding a vet that will allow you to bring your own chemotherapy drugs. Please feel free to share links if you do, or for where and how you're able to purchase such medications directly.
While you wait for comments from others, use the Advanced Search above to refine your forum search results with specific phrases, and you're sure to find lots of helpful feedback. You can also search all blogs here . Or, consider downloading the Tripawds e-books for fast answers to common concerns and feel free to call the toll-free Tripawds Helpline anytime!
28 January 2017
Well, we were told that we could not order the chemotherapy drugs on our own. We then asked if, after re-constituting the 10mg of Vinblastine in saline, if it could be put in a refrigerator for the next 3 infusions. It could remain in a fridge for 28 days. They wouldn't do that. They charge $109 for 10mg of Vinblastine, use 2.3 per infusion. They supposedly dispose of the remainder, although I doubt it.
After doing some more research, I've read that Charlie's mast cell tumor, which was removed with clean margins, may not be as aggressive as we were told.
We are getting a second opinion at the Animal Medical Center in NYC.
18 October 2009
You need to find out the grade of the tumor and the mitotic index (MI). The MI will give you a good indication of how aggressive the cancer is and may help you make your decision on chemo.
Karen and the Spirit Pug Girls
22 February 2013
Glad you are getting a second opinion!! And good fornyou for being such aa powerful voice for Charlie!
Yeah, makes you wonder what they do with the remaining chemo. Something's a little bit suspicious. That was a great approach though.
Keep us posted! Paws crossed for best possible outcome for Charlie!! 🙂 🙂
Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!
Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!
Most Users Ever Online: 597
Currently Browsing this Page:
Devices Used: Desktop (63), Phone (10), Tablet (1)
Guest Posters: 982