TRIPAWDS: Home to 22971 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Veterinary Oncology Q&A with Dr Chretin, SUN 10/23/11 3:30pm PDT
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
On The Road

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 September 2011 - 2:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

exclamation Back by popular demand! Don't miss another Veterinary Oncology Interview on Tripawd Talk Radio !

Veterinary Oncology Q&A with Dr. Johnny Chretin

Date: Sunday, 10/23/2012

Time: 4:30 p.m. MT (3:30 Pacific / 6:30 Eastern)

Length: 30 min

Special Guest: Dr. Johnny Chretin, DVM, DACVIM

Call-in Number: (310) 388-9739

Share: bit.ly/ttr102311 (Link to this topic.)

Dr Johnny Chretin DVM, ACVIM

Back by popular demand! Join us for our second informative canine cancer interview with veterinary oncologist Dr. Johnny Chretin,DVM, DACVIM from VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital.

As head of VCA’s busiest animal oncology clinic in the country, Dr. Chretin and his staff provide breakthrough treatments for all types of cancers, including a bone marrow transplant program for dogs with lymphoma!

Listen as we discuss the presentation and diagnosis of cancer in dogs such as osteosarcoma and the various treatment protocols available. Then call in with your questions or chat live during the show!

Reply to this topic with questions and we will try to get them answered. Please keep your questions brief and specific.

We will post an audio archive of this program here after the show.

NOTE: Don't miss our previous Tripawd Talk Oncology Interview with Dr. Chretin.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

On The Road

16 October 2011 - 8:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hey everypawdy, don't forget to post your questions here for Dr. Chretin! One more week. Bring all of your oncology questions for the good doctor. Thanks!

Washington
17 October 2011 - 11:49 pm

I have a question for the good doctor: My cousin passed away last December after a very prolonged battle with inflammatory breast cancer. One of the long term effects from her treatment was that she developed COPD. Rio has this cough -- some days are worse than others. She has had it for months now, and after x-rays, neither the vet nor the oncologist could tell me what was causing it. There was "webbing" in the bronchial tubes and the vet said maybe bronchitis.

Rio's had radiation (near her heart and lungs), plus two rounds of chemo -- is there a possibility that this cough is a secondary, long term side effect from the cancer treatments (similar to what my cousin experienced)? If not, what other explanation might be given for this cough? (I can get digital copies of her x-rays if that would help...)

the Woo

~ ~ Rio ~ ~
Forever in my heart...

April 2000 – January 20, 2012
Diagnosed with Mast Cell Cancer in June 2007. Left rear leg amputated Feb. 8, 2011.
Mets discovered Aug. 31, 2011. Read more of Rio's story here.

On The Road

18 October 2011 - 11:18 am

I'm so sorry about your cousin, that is so sad.

Great question for Dr. Chretin, thanks.

Come on guys, I know you have other questions!

San Diego, CA
18 October 2011 - 3:31 pm

With OSA, how often should you do lung xrays? Is there sort of a standard amount of time that oncologists usually recommend in between - either with or without mets?

Obviously, in our case, Abby has stupid mets. (One is - well, was the last time we saw it anyway - golf-ball sized. That's Boris. The other, Natasha, is smaller and a chip off Boris' block. sigh. They are in the lower 'back 40' of her lungs - at least that's what I call it. Sorta the lower rent district, so not up by her airways. As I understand it, this is a good thing. If there can be good things about lung mets.)

We have been doing xrays ~ every 3 months, and each time it has informed the various decisions we've made along the way. We are due for some the end of this month. After the last ones in July we had to stop her Palladia because it wasn't agreeing with her, but she is still on MP (Cytoxan) and we added in artemisinin . In general, I don't really want to know what's going on in there. She is happy and has tons of energy, so I'd rather be blissfully unaware. On the other hand, if by some miracle the arte is helping, that would be good to know. But if it's NOT helping, I don't really wanna know. Her onc mentioned in July that we could try another kind of IV chemo, but we didn't want to put her through that. So, I'm thinking whether it's good news (slow growth/no new mets) or bad news (fast growth/new mets), we'll still just keep doing what we are doing, so what is the point in knowing?

Anyway, those are the 'specifics' of my question, but basically the more general question is just, "is there a rule of thumb as to how often to do xrays?"

Abby: Aug 1, 2009 – Jan 10, 2012. Our beautiful rescue pup lived LARGE with osteosarcoma for 15 months – half her way-too-short life. I think our "halflistic" approach (mixing traditional meds + supplements) helped her thrive. (PM me for details. I'm happy to help.) She had lung mets for over a year. They took her from us in the end, but they cannot take her spirit! She will live forever in our hearts. She loved the beach and giving kisses and going to In-N-Out for a Flying Dutchman. Tripawds blog, and a more detailed blog here. Please also check out my novel, What the Dog Ate. Now also in paperback! Purchase it at Amazon via Tripawds and help support Tripawds!

On The Road

18 October 2011 - 7:25 pm

Great question! We'll pass along. Anypawdy else? I know you're out there!

On The Road

21 October 2011 - 9:53 am

Just another reminder to bring your oncology questions to Dr. Chretin this Sunday at 6:30 pm Eastern! Any more questions for the doc?

21 October 2011 - 11:46 pm

Hi Doctor,

We have our first oncology appointment scheduled with you, or maybe Dr. Hazzah, not sure which, this Monday the 24th. Penny will only be 10 days post amp surgery and will still have her stitches. Is this too soon for her? Should we wait to have the stitches removed before coming to see you about chemo?

Thanks

Sheryl

On The Road

22 October 2011 - 5:26 am

Great question Sheryl, thank you. Good luck at your appointment.

Massachusetts
23 October 2011 - 11:25 am

Hi Doctor Chretin,

Butchey, our now 7 year old Golden was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma last May.  The tumor was in his knee joint.  We amputated with so called clean margins, but as I understand it, the cancer could still be traveling through his entire circulatory system.  The mitotic rate from the pathology report was 44/10 hpf (not sure what that means, reading it from the report).

We have done 5 rounds of adriamycin (last treatment 10/4), and will probably go metronomics next.  Fortunately, the ultrasounds we have done thus far of his heart and abdomen have showed no masses.  We rescan again next week.

My questions are: 

1.  What are your thoughts on why this type of cancer shows up in such a strange spot?

2.  In your experience, if or when the cancer spreads, will it go to the spleen (like HSA usually shows up in), other organs or what are the chances it will go to another limb?

Thanks very much!!!

Nancy

Butchey Hudson Dx with HSA (knee joint) 5/19/2011.  Amp on 6/14/2011.  26 glorious months of ampuversaries.  Earned his wings 9/9/2013.  Forever curled up in my heart.

On The Road

23 October 2011 - 12:01 pm

Anypawdy else have questions for today's Tripawd Talk Radio ? Please try to keep them brief, or call in to speak with Dr. Chretin.

Date: Sunday, 10/23/2012

Time: 4:30 p.m. MT (3:30 Pacific / 6:30 Eastern)

Call-in Number: (310) 388-9739

23 October 2011 - 1:48 pm

i agree with Abbysmom's question as we are not doing xrays for Dizzy I wonder if there would be any warning signs that she may have lung mets

Dizzy diagnosed with osteosarcoma 24 may 2011 amputated same day doing fine hopping around on three legs giving the neighbourhood cats what for

23 October 2011 - 4:47 pm

I am the Mom of a Tripod, but the amputation was not due to cancer and she is well! But I lost another Baby (lab/shepherd mix - 80 lbs) to a very agressive sarcoma (?) that developed and killed him within 30 days in 2008. Started as a large and rapidly growing tumor in his neck, collarbone region. He was 13 at the time and I had a biopsy done and I still feel sick that I put him through the trauma of the biopsy. I had to make the decision to let him go before we even got the results back and I have been sad about this ever since. My question to you is...is there an age or any other indicators at which point you would suggest not putting a dog through the rigors of treatment? Even though he only had a few weeks left at onset, I wish so very much that I had not put him through the trauma of the biopsy. I have been second-guessing myslef ever since.

On The Road

23 October 2011 - 7:40 pm

All good questions. We'll be rescheduling our chat with Dr. Chretin as he was unable to make it due to an emergency.

Stay tuned for the podcast from our impromptu discussion with members who called in.

@kviz Your future forum posts will not require moderation.

24 October 2011 - 10:39 am

I am selfishly so happy he had to reschedule but hate that there was an emergency...

My question - with osteosarcoma is there are period after which the chance of anything surfacing or returning has decreased? The further out we get from diagnosis, amputation and chemo treatment the more nervous I get.  Is there something I can do, other than diet & supplements, that might help?

Darcy & Bart

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 237
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17732
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3