TRIPAWDS: Home to 23085 Members and 2157 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Three Legged AKC Champion Vizsla Bart SUN 08/07/11 3:30pm PDT
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
On The Road

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2 August 2011 - 5:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Meet Bart, the award winning three legged AKC champion!

BartImage Enlarger

Tune in to hear Darcy Duval, pawrent to Bart, a 3-year osteosarcoma survivor and world-famous show champion and master hunting dog who was the first Vizsla in history to have accomplished this title (start to finish) on 3 legs.

Along with Bart we'll meet his long-time veterinarian, Dr. Abby Huggins, DVM, from Terrell Mill Animal Hospital in Marietta, Georgia, who discovered Bart's osteosarcoma in June, 2008. Dr. Huggins has worked with Bart since he was two months old. She graduated from Duke University in 1997 with a BS in marine biology and received her DVM from the Ohio State University in 2001, where she was inducted into Phi Zeta, the national verterinary honors society. Dr. Huggin's veterinary interests include soft tissue surgery, ophthalmology, and doing her part in promoting the human-animal bond.

Date: Sunday, August 7, 2011

Time: 3:30pm PDT (4:30 MT, 6:30 Eastern)

Duration: 30 min.

Call In Number: (310) 388-9739*

Tune In Here: Three Legged AKC Champion Vizsla Cancer Survivor

Share Link: bit.ly/ttr080711

About Bart:

BartImage Enlarger

In 2008, three year-old Bart was going along his daily life practicing for field trials, hunting and running up to 16 miles with his Mom Darcy. After a persistent limp wouldn't go away with R&R, Darcy took Bart to Dr. Huggins, his regular vet, who gave them the sad news that Bart had osteosarcoma growing in his scapula.

With Dr. Huggins' guidance and supportive information she found on Tripawds, Darcy proceeded with amputation, chemotherapy and consulted with a holistic veterinarian to put Bart on the best diets and supplements pawsible.

Bart's new regimen consisted of a regular rotation of:

After two years, Bart was weaned off all of the above supplements because he was now a healthy dog in remission!

Bart continues to eat grain free kibble with anti-oxidants and raw meat. He also gets Fish Oil from Omega QD.

Three years later, Bart is still in remission! Nothing slows Bart down and his accomplishments are many. See this PDF detailing Bart's canine cancer treatment for more information.

In October 2008, only three weeks after finishing chemo, Bart finished his AKC Senior Hunter Title and in April, 2009 earned his AKC Master Hunter Title, the highest title an AKC dog can receive.

Bart continues to train for field trials, duck work in water, therapy work such as meeting Wounded Warriors veterans and continuing to receive recognition by organizations such as the Vizsla Club of America and the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Foundation.

When it comes to coping with cancer, Darcy says her favorite quote she's ever read is in the Tripawds 2011 Calendar:

"It is not about waiting for the storm to pass…

It's about learning to dance in the rain."

— Author Unknown

Post questions for Darcy and Dr. Huggins with a reply to this topic, or join us in the Tripawds Live Chat during the show!

Recommended Reading:

New and Improved K9 Immunity Plus

DISCLAIMER: Information provided is for entertainment only and is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice.

*Tune in to join our discussion with Darcy and Bart's vet or join us in the Tripawds Chat room during the show! You do not need to call to hear the show. Listen live to all Tripawds shows on BlogTalkRadio or check this topic after the show for the program podcast.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

6 August 2011 - 7:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Wow, Bart is one amazing pup! I'm looking forward to tuning in....

On The Road

7 August 2011 - 12:57 pm

Tune in today at 3:30pm PDT (6:30 Eatsern) to learn all about 3-year osteosarcoma survivor Bart!

You do not need to call to hear the show. Listen live online here, or call 310-388-9739 with your questions. Stay tued to this topic for the podcast.

Three Leg Fred
7 August 2011 - 4:59 pm

I'm so glad you all covered the importance of exercise and keeping the tripawd on a healthy, slim weight. Bart and Darcy are both very fit and are living a life of happiness and fitness!  We love Bart!   Love, Three Leg Fred, http://www.Thre.....egFred.com

On The Road

7 August 2011 - 5:26 pm

Many thanks to Darcy and Dr. Huggins for a fun informative program! Listen to the audio stream below or click the iTunes button to download the podcast and hear it offline. Visit this program's Tripawd Talk Radio page for a slide show of photos while you listen.

Listen to Internet Radio with Tripawds on Blog Talk Radio

Here are a few highlights from the show:

Removing the scapula vs. keeping it

Preparing the home for amputation recovery

The importance of a healthy grain-free diet!

Holistics as a comprehensive approach

Why to avoid antioxidents during chemo (turns to sugar, feeding cancer)

No raw food during chemo, due to weakened immune system

K9 Immunity Canine Cancer Supplement

How to get dogs eating and reduce GI distress during chemo

Stamina and exercise for amputee dogs

Importance of keeping Tripawds fit and trim!

Portage Lake, Maine
7 August 2011 - 5:41 pm

Admin -

Here's the link to Monica Segal that was mentioned on the radio broadcast.  She made Bart's cancer diet:

http://www.moni.....segal.com/

Tracy, Maggie's Mom

PS Monica also has a yahoo group list called K9Kitchen if anyone is interested in getting on it.

Maggie was amputated for soft tissue sarcoma 10-20-09

Maggie lost her battle with kidney disease on 8-24-13

http://maggie.t.....t-24-2013/

On The Road

7 August 2011 - 5:43 pm

Thanks Tracy!

7 August 2011 - 5:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Very informative and fun show. Thanks for hosting it Jim and Rene.

Thumbs up to Bart, Darcy and Dr. Huggins. I had a tear in my eye listening to Darcy describe the hunters reaction to 3 legged Bart during the trials. What an inspiration they both are.

I found the topic of Doxycycline to very interesting. In part because I've been taking it for almost a month smile

Thanks for the show guys.

Portage Lake, Maine
7 August 2011 - 6:16 pm

I just listened to the show again as I missed some of it try to get it loaded up.  With tears in my eyes as I type this just as Brett said, listening to Darcy talk of the hunt judges with tears in their eyes, Darcy & Bart, you guys ROCK and are showing the world that "can do" attitude!  Keep up the GREAT work!  Enjoyed the talk thoroughly!

Tracy, Maggie's Mom

Maggie was amputated for soft tissue sarcoma 10-20-09

Maggie lost her battle with kidney disease on 8-24-13

http://maggie.t.....t-24-2013/

8 August 2011 - 11:38 am

It was so great to share the information and I am so glad Dr. Huggins was there to provide the vet's perspective on diagnosis through care.  She is an amazing person and Bart & I are so blessed to have her on TeamBarty!!

Dr. Huggins mentioned Glucosamine/Chondroitin, which Bart has also been on since 2008. We buy the human kind and get as much of the glucosamine dosage possible.  I am glad she remembered that component!

I can't wait to dig deeper into others' blogs and see what treatment, diet & supplement regimens they have found, too.

Again, Thanks Jim & Rene for doing this. What a great niche to help folks out!

Darcy & Bart

On The Road

8 August 2011 - 12:47 pm

Thanks again Darcy! Your future forum posts will not require moderation.

28 March 2012 - 5:26 pm

Mentioned was a human anti depressant ,that will help with appetite but i couldnt pull it out of the discussion . Could you tell me what the name of this is ? Thanks ...David .....    nonpedestrian@yahoo.com

http://threeleg.....pawds.com/

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 219
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17840
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3