TRIPAWDS: Home to 22971 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Sleeping for hours post surgery on 8/25
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 August 2015 - 4:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi,

My 8 yr old Pitbull mix Brody had left forelimb amputation on Tuesday.  He was diagnosed with a neural sheath tumor in May and had a full course of 19 radiation treatments in June.  He had progressively been losing the use of his left front leg since March, which is what prompted the MRI that provided the final diagnosis of the tumor.  Over the last month he lost total use of his leg and it became severely atrophied and amputation was inevitable.  We had the leg up in a sling for approx. 4 weeks prior to surgery and he hadn't been weight bearing on the leg prior to that, so he's been functioning as a tripawd for a few weeks.  He spent one night in the vet hospital post surgery and was eating and peeing/pooping fine 12 hours after surgery, as well as getting up and around fine, so he was discharged on Thurs.  Once home he was moving around fine, a little painful but it is controlled with Tramadol, Amantadine, Gabapentin and T-Relief.  My question, and what is starting to worry me, is that over the past two days he has been sleeping constantly.  For example, he was up at 5:30 this morning and out to relieve himself, he also ate and drank portions that are normal for him.  Since then (it's 6:30 pm now) he has gotten up and changed position maybe twice.  We have iced the incision a couple of times (which he hates, but doesn't fight).  I'm just wondering if this is normal.  I have watched the videos and downloaded Three Legs & Spare.  I know every dog is different.  I know we need to find balance between allowing rest and recovery and getting him to move at least a little bit.  I just don't know how soon after surgery we need to get him moving and how much.  I also tried to upload a pic of our boy, but I keep getting an error. He is our furbaby and I just want to be sure to be doing the right thing for him to aid him in his best recovery.  Thanks for any thoughts or experiences any of you have had. 

Livermore, CA

30 August 2015 - 4:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Welcome to Tripawds, your future posts will not have to wait for approval.

How old is Brody?

Does the incision look good? Does he have a fever? If all is OK sleeping/ resting is good for him. Our surgeon told us that Maggie was only to walk for potty breaks and food. Getting around for a new Tripawd is tiring, and all those meds could be making him sleepy. My quad pug Obie had knee surgery in February and pretty much slept for the first couple weeks.  

Be sure to keep your vet informed of Brody's progress.

Karen and the Spirit Pug Girls

Here is how to add photos: http://tripawds.....-photos-1/

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Los Angeles, CA
30 August 2015 - 5:06 pm

Welcome to Tripawds.... I would think sleeping is good... this is major surgery so rest is best. My girl did rest (a lot) but nights became anxious and restless and would pace and pace. But it sounds like Brody is doing what he needs to do for his recovery. 

What does your vet think? Karen is right - definitely limit movement for the first several weeks. It will help them recover better! 

Keep us posted! 

alison with spirit shelby (and little jasper lily) 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

Virginia

30 August 2015 - 5:10 pm

Can't wait to see pics of Brody!

Poor guy, he's had a rough time getting to this point! Once recovery is complete though he will be feeling sooo much better with that troublesome leg gone.

Just to add to Karen's great advice, the hospital meds are now out of his system and he's probably feeling the pain kf the major surgery now more than he was Thursday or Friday. He was still a lottle bit "drug high" when he first came home.

He's eating, drinking and pottying, so all that's good.

He's resting which is exactly what he knows he needs to do. Yeah, you'll read about some dogs bouncing around more, and some far less. It REAL L Y is true that every recovery is different.

He could be a little over medicated and you can talk to your vet about that. But most likely, it's all recovery related snd perfectly normal. It's really good that he doesn't seem whiny or uncomfortable from pain. How much does ne weigh and what dose of meds is he taking and how often?

This is such an emotional time and we want our puls back to normal "yesterday"! Brody will jave his sparkle back and all this recovery business will be a thing of the past!!

Sending @ots of hugs!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Green Bay, WI

30 August 2015 - 5:50 pm

Welcome....I agree with what the others have all said, it's most likely Brody's way of healing. When my Dobe nitro had his surgery last summer I would have loved for him to snooze and take it easy - he was restless and whiny and that was very stressful for me. A call to the vet might be in order, just to see what he thinks. Good luck.

paula and nitro

Nitro 11 1/2  yr old Doberman; right front amp June 2014. Had 6 doses carboplatin, followed by metronomic therapy. Rocked it on 3 legs for over 3 years! My Warrior beat cancer, but couldn't beat old age. He crossed the Bridge peacefully on July 25, 2017, with dignity and on his terms.  Follow his blog entitled "Doberman's journey"

http://nitro.tripawds.com

"Be good, mama loves you".....run free my beautiful Warrior

30 August 2015 - 6:08 pm

Thanks for all the responses!  It's reassuring to be reading about what others have experienced and your comments make me feel like I am on the right track.  I should have included in my original post that the vet team (yes, Brody has amassed a small team - radiology oncologist, neurologist and surgeon now) determined that post amputation we would wean him off all of the meds.  As those of you that have been through similar experiences know, we can't stop some of these meds cold turkey so over the next two weeks we are weaning off of Prednisone and the rest, including the Tramadol, which concerns me a little if he is still experiencing pain from the surgery.  We'll deal with that as we get to it though.  I actually had to create a spreadsheet for the meds and dates/times/dosages for the next two weeks because they decrease at different times and days.  He already is looking less bloated from the decreasing prednisone.  I hate that he was on it for so long.  He was a little more whiny last night when he was shifting, or getting up or down but now it seems a little better.  I actually got him up after my post because he hadn't been out in about 12 hours, which is crazy for him. He is super regular, if you know what I mean.  LOL. He moved slowly, but went out, did his thing and wagged his tail for me so I know he probably felt better.  He came in and ate and drank and is now back to sleeping.  I think he is just doing the recovery he needs to do in his own way.  The meds are the same as what he was on before surgery, so I'm not leaning toward his being over medicated although I hate that he was on all this stuff to begin with.  I understand it though, he was having a lot of pain in his shoulders and neck that the team just couldn't really figure out.  He normally weighs about 48-50 lbs, solid muscle, but with the prednisone he's at about 56 right now.  He had a second MRI before they took him to surgery to see if the original neural sheath tumor had changed.  It didn't end up giving us the clarification that we'd hoped.  The original tumor is smaller from the radiation, but there is a new change two vertebra lower.  The team is still working to decipher what it is, necrotic tissue from radiation, necrotic tissue from an infarct caused by stroke or a new area of tumor/disease.  Biopsies of nerve and bone tissue taken during amputation should help with the diagnosis.  The leg had to go though, he was knuckling two weeks ago and then it was just dragging along with his wrist/carpus on the ground.  He also was losing feeling in it.  So, we feel like he's going to be so relieved to have the bad leg out of his way once he gets past this recovery phase .  I have really said way too much here!  It's just been a long haul and it's nice to have people that "get it" and understand what we're going through.  And, I will get a pic up eventually  LOL!  Still working on it.  Thanks again.

Green Bay, WI

30 August 2015 - 6:30 pm

Wow, Brody, impressive! Yay for you that you have a whole team of doctors looking after you...you are one lucky pup! And handsome too! Keep us updated, we're all rooting for you.

paula and nitro

Nitro 11 1/2  yr old Doberman; right front amp June 2014. Had 6 doses carboplatin, followed by metronomic therapy. Rocked it on 3 legs for over 3 years! My Warrior beat cancer, but couldn't beat old age. He crossed the Bridge peacefully on July 25, 2017, with dignity and on his terms.  Follow his blog entitled "Doberman's journey"

http://nitro.tripawds.com

"Be good, mama loves you".....run free my beautiful Warrior

Michigan
30 August 2015 - 8:28 pm

Poor Brody, he sure has been through a lot!  He's probably trying to make up for all that sleep he hasn't gotten in the past few months!  A spread sheet is perfect for keeping track of his meds.. that's what we did, too.  I'm a nurse, so that was a natural way for me to do it lol.  And it definitely made it easier when it was time for weaning.  Plus there was 3 of us giving Murphy his meds, so whoever gave them just crossed them off.  It sounds like you are on top of things and Brody is off to a great start!

Donna

Donna, Glenn & Murphy 

Murphy had his right front leg amputated due to histiocytic sarcoma at 7 years old. He survived 4 years, 2 months & 1 week, only to be taken by hemangiosarcoma at 11 1/2 years 6/12/17  
Read about Murphy's Life on Three Legs

Donna.png

Virginia

30 August 2015 - 9:21 pm

Yes, we understand like no others can! And we understand the need to be sble to "talk it over" with friends who "get it".

I love that Brody is "regular" in spite of just having major surgery and adjusting to three legs! Good job Brody!

Slrry he was feeling some apparent pain last night. The fact that you got a tail wag out of him today is a good sign though. Tail wags...the best sight in the world as far as I'm concerned!

Try and get some rest while you can. Brody is getting his rest and he wants you to do the same.

Oh, his avatar licture...ADORABLE!!! Lopk at that handsome and very happy boy!

Stay connected, we are right here with you!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

31 August 2015 - 9:45 am

Brody and family, welcome. I'm just now catching up on your story and wanted to welcome you (and thank you for downloading our e-book). I agree with the others' feedback, this all sounds pretty typical. He is on some pretty good pain medication, and I'll bet he's just exhausted from all he's been through. If you're at all concerned let your vet team know about any changes you watch, remember that's why you pay them.

If you'd like me to post a photo let me know I'm happy to do it, just email me.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

2 September 2015 - 6:44 pm

Hi All!  So just a quick update.  Brody continued to sleep and have some restless nights since I first posted, including some trembling and feeling very very warm.  I called to update the Surgeon and to get some feedback on whether what we were seeing is normal.  They said "Bring him in, it's what we are here for!"  We went in this morning and the Surgeon said the incision looks great, no real swelling and bruising is already starting to fade.  Surgeon and Neurologist are thinking the Tramadol is causing the lethargy, and since Brody has been on these meds for over a month prior to surgery it was time to make an adjustment.  We are stopping the Tramadol and I will only give it to Brody if he seems to be in pain and it will a lesser dose, just as needed.  (He was getting 75mg every 8 hours.)  He will continue Prednisone (10 mg) once a day, Gabapentin (100 mg) 3 times a day and Amantadine (50 mg) once a day.  Per the Surgeon, these three drugs will help with any nerve pain from the neural sheath tumor, but also any pain from the surgery and any phantom pain if he has it.  We will continue on this schedule of meds until staples come out on 9/11.  Already my boy's eyes look clearer and brighter.  He met me at the door this evening when I got home from work and he got up and waited to go out later on his own.  He's knocked out right now, but it's ok.  He still has recovering to do and the Surgeon said it's all normal.  I feel like we are on the right track now.  Phew!  And, no charge for the visit today.  That was good too! 

Thanks again for all the kind, informative comments and for the support.  I hope my post helps others just starting this journey like we are. 

Virginia

2 September 2015 - 7:21 pm

YAAAAAAAAAY BRODY!!! MEETING MOMMA AT THE DOOR...GETTING UP AND WAITING TO GO OUT ALL ON HIS OWN....GOOD BOY BRODY!!!!clap

Glad Brody's vet team is so tuned into his specific needs. Sounds like hew already perked up a bit and that's just the beginning! When they're recovering it's so hard to believe the sparkle will ever come back, but it will...and it already is!! It took Happy Hannah longer to greet me at the door with her Roo roooooing and stuffy in tow. I remember I cried joyful tears I was so happy!!

You're doing great Brody...and so is your momma!!

Lots of hugs to all!

Michigan
2 September 2015 - 8:48 pm

Yeah!  It's the smallest of things that we celebrate around here!  smiley

Donna, Glenn & Murphy 

Murphy had his right front leg amputated due to histiocytic sarcoma at 7 years old. He survived 4 years, 2 months & 1 week, only to be taken by hemangiosarcoma at 11 1/2 years 6/12/17  
Read about Murphy's Life on Three Legs

Donna.png

Los Angeles, CA
2 September 2015 - 8:55 pm

What a great vet! Glad to hear that some of the sparkle is coming back! 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

On The Road

3 September 2015 - 4:04 pm

Oh my DOG I love your vets! A response like that is priceless, it's what we all want with our own vets. Be sure to give them a shout out here: http://tripawds.....referrals/

Meanwhile I'm glad Brody's feeling better!!!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Cynthia Lindgren
Guest(s) 224
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17732
Moderators: 6