TRIPAWDS: Home to 23104 Members and 2159 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
My 100 pound Rottweiler current story with osteosarcoma
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Copperas Cove, TX
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
18 May 2016 - 7:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Awe what a sweet face!!!

6 June 2016 - 3:26 pm

Onyx's current update

Surgery ended up going very well for her surgeon said should would likely be there 2 nights but ended up calling us in the morning saying she is ready to go and there was nothing they could do for her that we could not. . Only complication she had was a pretty big seroma so they had to install a drain in her for about a week so after the staples were removed there was a spot at the bottom on the incision that wasnt fully healed.  She has been a trooper and now is a little over 3 weeks post op getting around great

Tomorrow she is going to start Chemotherapy, Dr. Ayl her oncologist recommends 4 rounds of Carboplatin given every 3 weeks.

So that's her current update and really appreciate the support from this wonderful site

Kent and Onyx

6 June 2016 - 5:53 pm

Great news!  Sounds like all is going well.   Isn't it wonderful when you start to get on the other side of the recovery, and they can just be dogs again!

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

On The Road

6 June 2016 - 7:11 pm

Hooorraaaah! That is wonderful news, it's great to hear how smoothly things are going.

Here's to an uneventful chemo session and follow-up, may Onyx sail through smoothly and quickly.heart

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

6 June 2016 - 9:55 pm

Wonderful update!! Onyx really did rock that recovery. Glad her surgeon was on top of that seroma . And Onyx, apologies for calling you a "sweet boy" in previous post. Clearly you are a sweet gir!

My Happy Hannah had four rounds of Carboplatin and sailed through them. Some dogs do jave some nausea though. Your vet will give you Cerenia to keep on hand just in case.

Looking forward to some pictures and more great updates!

Hugs to all!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Virginia

6 June 2016 - 9:57 pm

And HAPPY THREE WEEK AMPUVERSARY! Keep em coming! 🙂

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

28 July 2016 - 3:52 pm

Final update for my wonderful dog Onyx

We had to put her to sleep yesterday afternoon July 27, 2016, the cancer was in her lungs and the Dr thinks on her spine as she lost the ability to use her back legs.

So to everyone out there going through this horrible disease the life expectancy the doctors give you is just a statistic we were told in the beginning of this process with amputation and chemo we would have 9-12 month and we got 3

We have no regrets at all as we got these 3 moths with her but just remember to spoil your pets as you never know when they will leave you.

Thank you Onyx for all your unconditional love you gave me you are truly missed but never forgotten

Thanks to this wonderful community

Kent and Onyx

OnyxImage Enlarger

28 July 2016 - 4:40 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Onyx.   I know this is the toughest part of the journey.  You were right when you said it's just statistics.  Some get more and some get less.  🙁   I am sorry.  I am kinda partial to Rotties as Sassy was a Rottie. 

Watch for signs.  Onyx will let you know she is ok. 

Run Free Onyx til your family meets you again.

hugs

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

Schofield, WI
28 July 2016 - 5:57 pm

I'm so sorry!  Like you we didn't get a long time after the amp with Max just 4 1/2 short months.  Like you with Onyx we squeezed so much love and spoiling into that short time.  Our dogs knew love and they were out of the pain that osteosarcoma brings.  We valiantly tried our best for them but evil cancer has a mind of its own.  Onyx was a beauty and you will know she is with you in the whisper of the wind.  She'll stay in your heart and soul forever always by your side.  Fly free Warrior Onyz.  Many hugs at this hardest of times!

Linda, Riley & Spirits Mighty Max & Ollie

28 July 2016 - 6:48 pm

I am so sorry to hear this news.  I totally get what you meant when you say that the three months was worth it, but I want to cry every time I hear that one of our dogs didn't get their "fair" amount of time.  

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

28 July 2016 - 6:51 pm

OMG, so sorry and so heartbroken for you.

This is such a difficult time.  I wish no one had to go through this pain.

We are here for you if you need us.  All my puppy prayers are for you and Angel Onyx who is at the Rainbow bridge with so many amazing Tripawds.

xoxo

Julie and Angel Buddy

28 July 2016 - 6:51 pm

That face is so beautiful

On The Road

28 July 2016 - 8:11 pm

Ohhhh Kent, I'm really sorry to read this sad news. My heart goes out to you and your family, what a sad time for all of you. And this community as well. Every new angel is a bright star in the sky but we all ache for every Tripawd who leaves us.

I hope all the wonderful memories you shared with Onxy will carry your spirits and mend your broken heart. May her own spirit stay strong throughout your whole life.

We shared this sweet photo in our Tripawds Angels gallery, it was too precious not to. If you have any others you'd like to share, we'd love to see them.

Sending many, many hugs to your pack....

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Los Angeles, CA
29 July 2016 - 9:56 am

Oh my heart goes out to you .... I am so sorry for your loss. Lots of hugs and love coming your way! 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

Michigan
29 July 2016 - 2:52 pm

Oh Kent ~

I'm so sorry that you lost your beautiful Onyx so soon after her journey started.  I know you did everything you could to give her a wonderful life here. 

Hugs to you heartDonna

Donna, Glenn & Murphy 

Murphy had his right front leg amputated due to histiocytic sarcoma at 7 years old. He survived 4 years, 2 months & 1 week, only to be taken by hemangiosarcoma at 11 1/2 years 6/12/17  
Read about Murphy's Life on Three Legs

Donna.png

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: sam_and_nova
Guest(s) 228
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17857
Moderators: 6