TRIPAWDS: Home to 23086 Members and 2157 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Happy 45lb border, stitches come out 5/18 CHEMO OR NOT?!!?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
15 May 2017 - 1:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

1. osteosarcoma ("spot on bone") ...nothing else shows cancer (x-rays, ultra sound) ...talked to people with good experiences and some with bad (dog vomited, had the runs, etc.)....also, statistics say dogs with cancer and chemo have only 4-14 months to live (per the vet and the surgeon)... hope that's wrong!  SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE/GOOD NEWS ... ALL WELCOME!!

2. DOG HARNESS: need it to help him get in car, etc., but ones i've seen are either in the middle or tending toward the front; he can get the front half in the car, but needs help with lifting back end....again, SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH..... Phil and "Happy"

Livermore, CA

15 May 2017 - 1:45 pm

Hi Phil and welcome to the fourms.

We talked on the Helpline today so I can add that Happy is a rear amp who is an otherwise healthy 11 year old (or so).

As we discussed my pug Maggie did chemo for her mast cell cancer.  She did well on the chemo and far outlived her prognosis.

Click Here to see some information on chemo.

And Click Here for some information on choosing a harness.

Karen and the Spirit Pug Girls

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

15 May 2017 - 2:12 pm

Hi there! What kind of dog is Happy? I love that name by the way. My guy is a front leg amputee so the EZ harness (which was designed for them I think) works best, although I've used it to hoist up my old bearded collie when his back legs give out. The rough wear harness has straps that go all the way to the back, I think people with rear amputees use that one quite a bit but I'm sure they will chime in.

For right after surgery, I used the cloth grocery bag idea I found on this site - take a cloth grocery bag and cut down the sides without the handles, and voila, a nice sling. You can use that to support Happy at first until his stitches come out and he's ready for a harness.

I didn't do chemo for Clyde (my osteo guy). We have been blessed with nearly a year, so far longer than any prognosis that we were given. There are a lot of dogs who have far outlived their prognosis both with and without chemo. To be truthful, there are also those who don't as well. For me, I couldn't afford the chemo, but everything I've read about it says dogs handle it pretty well for the most part. There are many here who have undergone chemo with little or no side effects. I just wanted to give Clyde a pain free life for however long that ended up to be, and luckily for me, he's still going. He's slowing down a little and I think things may be progressing, but I've had the best year with him that I could ask for. I hope you have the same outcome with Happy!

15 May 2017 - 3:19 pm

I don't think there's any right/wrong answer when it comes to chemo. I opted for it since I wanted to do everything I could for Rocky. He's had four of his scheduled six doses so far and has handled it just fine. I haven't noticed any side effects at all. His oncologist said 90 percent of her patients don't experience any side effects. 

David and Rocky (and Baxter now too!)

Rocky had his right front leg amputated on Valentine's Day 2017 after being diagnosed with osteosarcoma.

He joined the September Saints on September 3, 2017.

He is the toughest, bravest, sweetest and best friend I'll ever know. 

On The Road

16 May 2017 - 10:43 am

Hi Phil and Happy, I'm so glad you called the Tripawds Helpline and got some feedback. Our members here are also helpful too, as you can see.

I'd agree, there are no right or wrong answers about chemotherapy and whether or not to do it. We opted out and don't regret it. But all circumstances are different. Look into Happy's eyes and ask him what he wants. Consider things like: does he mind going to the vet? has he bounced back from minor issues before? Sure, there's a risk of side effects but few dogs get anything more than a bit of nausea and appetite loss. That can be nervewracking but most dogs bounce back from it in a few days.

Regarding the harness. Keep in mind that no harness will "support" a dog's limbs. The harnesses we recommend in the Tripawds Gear blog are there to help humans help their dogs get around. It sounds like Happy can use some rehabilitation therapy. We hope you'll consider going. It's such a great thing to do for any dog but especially a senior Tripawd. And the best part is the Tripawds Foundation will even pay for your first rehab visit ! Click on the link for more info.

We'd love to see some photos of Happy. Here's a link that explains adding images to the forums. Holler if you'd like help!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

On The Road

17 May 2017 - 9:16 am

happy777 said
...SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!

Phil, please check you email for response to your questions. We've also left you a voicemail message after receiving your Tripawds Helpline call.

FYI: Please note that by replying to any email notification you receive for forum topic subscriptions, your intended recipient will not receive it, and your message may be lost. When subscribing to be notified of replies, use the link in the notification email to return to the topic and reply there (e.g.; here). Otherwise only the site Admin may get your message! way-cool

The Tripawds community has soooo much to offer, we understand it can be overwhelming. Please start here if you ever need help navigating the sites.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

18 May 2017 - 10:24 am

Hi Phil and Happy, 

Eurydice (my very large Great Dane) lost her right front leg to osteosarcoma May 4th 2016.

She wears a ruffwear harness which is great because it has a handle which allows helping her get up and getting in and out of the car, if need be. 

Eurydice did chemo extensively, starting with carboplatin (6 sessions) metronomic therapy for about 2 months and finally 3 sessions of doxorubicin. 

I will never know if things would have been any different had we not gone for chemo.

But what I do know is I wanted to give her what felt like the right choice for us. 

So, concerning chemo, it is a very, very personal matter.

Just follow your heart and if you opt for chemo don't worry with side effects.

Like the majority of dogs, Eurydice had zero side effects and remember one can stop at any point. 

As for longevity, it varies enormously.

Some dogs live for years some live very short lives ...

You just can never tell ...

In any case, don't let that interfere with your time with Happy, he doesn't know what the word cancer means! 

And he and you can have a wonderful, exciting, loving time together.

Think pawsitive and cuddle your boy, he is so lucky to have you!

Sending hugs and cuddles heart

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 225
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17842
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: