TRIPAWDS: Home to 23108 Members and 2159 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
D-Day is here 12/19 - Our Mollydog becomes a Tripawd
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
19 December 2014 - 8:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hardest morning ever!!  Just dropped off our beloved Golden - Mollydog so she can rid her body of the nasty C! 

Please keep her in your thoughts today....as well as her 2 humans crying

Our vet will call when the surgery is done and hopefully I will at least get to visit later on and then bring her home tomorrow morning.

Virginia

19 December 2014 - 9:17 am

LOVE THE AVATAR PICTURE!!!!!!

I KNOW this is such an anxious time ....AND.....I know how relieved you'll be when she's out of surgery!!!!!!! She'll be fine!!!!! Shee seeing pink elephants right now and thoroughly enjoying the view!!!

TRY and relax.....some people eat a lot of chocolate during this lrocess....some become alcoholics for a day! Some do both! Whatever works!!!

Update when you can!!!!

Positive energy coming your way.......

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Los Angeles, CA
19 December 2014 - 9:29 am

I remember that day ... I was on these forums all day- a stress case! So stay close to us if you and we'll be sending lots of positive energy your way today!!!!

Much love,

alison with the spirit of shelby fur-ever in her heart (and little jasper too)

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
19 December 2014 - 10:49 am

I remember surgery morning in 2008 so well.  In less than 40 hours, we had a diagnosis, 2nd opinion consult, and drop off for surgery.  I cried all the way to work.

Many good thoughts for you and Mollydog today.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Livermore, CA

sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
19 December 2014 - 11:18 am

Surgery day can be sooooooo long waiting for the update call!

Sending strong, positive thoughts to all of you today.  Update us when you can.

Karen and Spirit Maggie

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Martinsburg, WV
19 December 2014 - 11:52 am

I hope that Molly's surgery has gone well since it's later in the afternoon.  I will definitely be keeping Molly in my thoughts that she has an uneventful procedure and speedy recovery. 

The waiting is one of the hardest things.  My Leland's surgeon didn't start his procedure till around 1am as a lot of medical emergencies had come in.  Hubby and I didn't get much sleep that night because we kept calling to see if our boy had come through the surgery.

Hang in there!

Sahana and her Angel Leland

Leland

November 17, 2009 - June 30, 2014

May you finally be healthy and running free at the Rainbow Bridge. Until we meet again my sweet boy!

19 December 2014 - 5:03 pm

Just finished visiting Molly....she started crying/talking the minute she heard us!  Her tail was still thumping away....so I knew then she was still our Molly even though the outside looks different.  Surgery went well without any complications.  She will stay overnight with fluids and we will get her in the morning.  

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts as we made it through surgery day.

19 December 2014 - 5:48 pm

So Happy to hear. Get some rest tonight you will need it. The first couple weeks are rough. Lean on us for support.

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
19 December 2014 - 5:57 pm

The first couple of weeks are harder on the humans than the dogs - for the most part.  Trouble transitioned very easily as soon as we relaxed and let her get about adjusting to her new normal. I never slept soundly from her 1st day home after surgery until the day she was gone.

The one thing I always told the newbee's was "sleep when they sleep - you will hear them if they need you".  I spent hours watching Trouble sleep and being absolutely exhausted until I finally learned to do this.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

19 December 2014 - 6:11 pm

She will do great! My Star just had her surgery yesterday and was up walking that night. Prayers and good thoughts!

UK
20 December 2014 - 1:50 pm

Isn't that moment you see them after surgery with their tail wagging so excitedly such a positive feeling after such a long, upsetting day! big-blink

It made my heart stop hurting so much when I visited my fur kid & saw that happy wag.

I hope that each day becomes better & easier for you all as you each adjust to new ways.

Sending thoughts.

Please read our story blog available at:

Sandy’s Journey

Dawnie & Sandy

21 December 2014 - 11:50 am

So we are 48 hours post-op...and we have a problem....how do I keep her down?smiley  I have tried to put up barricades and she just wants to be where we are.  Not like she can't see us from the living room as we have an open concept home.  I thought for sure the Tramadol they gave her for pain would keep her quiet, but to no avail.

I suppose this is a good problem to have....one day at a time.

I appreciate all of the well wishes, support and positive thoughts!

Nicole

Maryland
21 December 2014 - 1:49 pm

Isn't that such a nice problem to have! We had the same with our Dusty ---- he was groggy but still was trying to get around.  Wait a couple of more days once the heavy sedation has finally cleared her system - she'll really try to get around.    I'm pretty sure Dusty was trying to run in the front yard about a week after surgery - fortunately, the cone of shame kept him from going too fast!

The wounds you see are visually reminders of the trauma she's been through - but keep your hopes up that she'll fully recover and be back to her old self sooner than you think!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: admin, krun15
Guest(s) 215
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17863
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: