TRIPAWDS: Home to 22971 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Can a large, 120 lb dog really manage as a tripod?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 December 2008 - 1:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

My almost 7 year old golden, Brady, is facing amputation of his right, hind leg due to an inoperable tumor. I'm concerned that he'll have difficulty adjusting due to his size. We live in a small, split level home so stairs will present a problem for him, I imagine.

Any advice or words of encouragement??

Thank you.

Linda

On The Road

30 December 2008 - 2:20 pm

lcuster3189 said:

Any advice or words of encouragement??

Plenty ... you've come to the right place.

Just take a look at Tazzie, a three-legged 175 lb. English Mastiff. And don't miss our giant breed gallery of three legged dogs.

I lived in a two story home when I had my amputation, and my people discovered the Ruff Wear harness helps on stairs, and for getting in/out of vehicles. As Brady is a rear leg amputee, going down stairs should be easier than going up. The opposite was true for me as a front leg amputee.

A soft towel slung under the belly can provide additional support IF needed before the surgery wound is healed and stitches are removed. You might also want to review our answers to top questions about amputation.

Big dogs are strong and very resillient. You may be surprised how Brady bounces back. The important thing to consider is weight management. Keep him at a healthy weight and mobility should not be an issue.

Thanks for asking!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

30 December 2008 - 2:59 pm

Thanks so much for your reply, Jerry!! I appreciate it.

I'm wrestling with this decision because I want to do what's right for Brady, not for me! Will he adapt and be the happy, exuberant dog he was before? I'm so worried that he won't adjust and I don't want to regret this huge decision.

Thank you.

Linda 

On The Road

30 December 2008 - 3:59 pm

Will he adapt? Yes. Most dogs adapt very quickly. Life on three legs will be different, but in many ways much better ... seeing him out of pain and enjoying life is sure to bring smiles.

There will always be regrets, like did you do enough for him. Truth is, with cancer, you can never do enough. But amputation is the only way to stop the pain and slow the spread.

Many people going through this have found great help with the book Without Regret.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 210
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17733
Moderators: 6