Join The Discussion
Learn about life on three legs in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free to take advantage of member benefits:
- Instant post approval.
- Private messages to members.
- Subscribe to favorite topics.
- Join the Live Chat and more!
Help Your Tripawd Swim!
Three legged dogs swim safer and have more fun with the K9 Float Coat from Ruffwear!
18 May 2014
Really Rene? Small world!
Nitro 11 1/2 yr old Doberman; right front amp June 2014. Had 6 doses carboplatin, followed by metronomic therapy. Rocked it on 3 legs for over 3 years! My Warrior beat cancer, but couldn't beat old age. He crossed the Bridge peacefully on July 25, 2017, with dignity and on his terms. Follow his blog entitled "Doberman's journey"
"Be good, mama loves you".....run free my beautiful Warrior
30 December 2016
Sessy is 11 and was 54 lbs before amputation.
UC Davis quoted me $3500-$5500 for amputation of her leg. Not sure if there is a difference between front or back legs..... Sessy's was a back leg. Unfortunately they couldn't get me in for three weeks, and I was to scared to wait that long. I ended up going to a wonderful private animal hospital called Sage that has several hospitals in the San Francisco Bay Area. Sage was able to get Sessy in for surgery in 2 days. Unfortunately the cost of amputation at Sage was $6200. This was the midrange of their quote and included 2 nights. I think they usually only keep them overnight one night, but Sessy is a greyhound and they are prone to bleeding problems after surgery, so I requested an additional night.
For Sessy's chemo I went back to UC Davis since it is 15 mins from my house. Sessy has had four chemo treatments,and I plan on doing 2 more. Her chemo is every 4 weeks instead of 3 due to low WBC on the 3 week mark. Her treatments depending on what other tests they run are $400-$600.
I decided to not look at any of other miscellaneous bills to slightly lower the chances of giving myself a heart attack.😬🐶🐶❤️
I would do it all again!!
Gayle - mom of beautiful greyhound Sessy. Sessy diagnosed with osteosarcoma on 12/26/16, left back leg amputated on 1/2/17. Feline siblings Mooshe, Tinkerdude, Odie and Bean
25 April 2007
Thanks for sharing these details Gayle, it's so helpful. What a difference in price from when Jerry had his amp at UC Davis. It was around $1800 if I recall correctly. SAGE is a great clinic though, we always hear great things about them.
And I agree, do whatever it takes to keep your stress level low and everypawdy's hoppy.
- What city/state/country/date did you Tripawd have the amputation? Cart, North Carolina 3/24/17
- Total cost of surgery? $900 pre-op biopsy, xray and diagnosis at oncologist & $2,000 for surgery to remove left rear leg. All meds, 1 night stay and on call support for post op. Total - 2,900. (Quotes from oncologist and teaching hospital were 3,500-5,000 for surgery alone).
- Private Practice or Teaching Hospital? Private Practice- Quartet Veterinarian Referral Specialists and emergency hospital.
Chemotherapy Costs N/A
- What size is your dog? 46 pounds period
- Age: 11 years and 10 months. Goal is 12 + years on 5/25/17.
16 June 2016
- What city/state/country/date did your Tripawd have the amputation? Washington, D.C.
- Total cost of surgery? 1,509.00
- Private practice or teaching hospital? Private Practice: Friendship Hospital for Animals
- What kind of cancer does your dog have? Mast Cell Tumor
- What size is your dog? 50lbs before amputation, about 44lbs now
- Type of chemo given? Palladia (oral 3x a week for 6 months)
- # of sessions? 72
- Total cost of treatments? $7,650 ($1,250 each month to get full body scans, e.g., xrays, ultrasounds, etc. and re-up on chemo); We still go for scans once every 3 months, even though he's no longer on chemo. I did not include that in the total above--but it costs roughly the same for each visit.
- Private practice or teaching hospital? Private Practice: Friendship Hospital for Animal
14 July 2017
- What city/state/country/date did your Tripawd have the amputation? Los Angeles, CA.
- Total cost of surgery? $2,279.00 Includes all the fees related to surgery, no complications encountered. Personal vet did initial biopsy
- Private practice or teaching hospital? Animal Specialty Group (referral facility)
- What kind of cancer does your dog have? Melanoma third digit right foot subungual
- What size is your dog? 75 lbs
- Type of chemo given? Not decided...will be Oncept (immunotherapy vaccine)
- # of sessions? 4 plus booster
- Total cost of treatments? $3500
- Private practice or teaching hospital? Animal Specialty Group
5 July 2017
Amputation Costs -
What city/state/country/date did your Tripawd have the amputation? Aurora, Illinois in June 2017
Total cost of surgery? $3200 (included 2 nights in ICU, did not include pain meds, antibiotics or gabapentin)
Private practice or teaching hospital? Private practice
Chemotherapy Costs - Avg. $450 per treatment (includes ECG, blood tests and chemo, does not include nausea or diarrhea meds or chest X-rays at #3 and #6)
What kind of cancer does your dog have? Osteosarcoma
What size is your dog? 17 lbs (18 lbs prior to surgery)
Type of chemo given? Adriamycin (doxorubicin)
# of sessions? 4 to 6 treatments (2 completed as of 8/2/17)
Total cost of treatments? $3200 (6 chemo sessions, 1 zoledronate treatment prior to amputation)
Private practice or teaching hospital? Private practice
29 July 2017
27 August 2016
- What city/state/country/date did your Tripawd have the amputation? Brooklyn, NY
- Total cost of surgery? $4,000 (incl 2 night stay and first round of meds to take home)
- Private practice or teaching hospital? V.E.R.G. (Veterinary Emergency and Referral Group)
- 45 pounds
- 11.5 years old
Most Users Ever Online: 597
Currently Browsing this Page:
Devices Used: Desktop (49), Phone (5), Tablet (4)
Guest Posters: 963