TRIPAWDS: Home to 23086 Members and 2157 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Our 175 lb Mastiff, Atlas's story
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Virginia

sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
30 July 2018 - 2:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

MADE MY DAU!!😁😁😁😁😁!!    OOOOOMMMMDDDD!!!   SO HAPPY TO READ THIS UPDATE!!!!😀😀😀

And cannot stop grinning ear to ear at  that picture 😁   Atlas looks sooooo good and sooooo hapoy!  Just love this dog❤

Sorry about the couple of blips in recovery,  but we  do see them  happen arpund here after surgery.  Glad you have everything  handlsd.  Good job!

Dogs will not be denied  their sofas!!   Im always delighted  to hear  when they've  regained their rightful ownership of the sofa!

Thanks for the great update!  ATLAS IS A LARGE DOG ROCKSTAR 😁

Hugs  

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 July 2018 - 3:08 pm

YAY Atlas, m’a man 👍🏽

So wonderful to hear your update and what a treat to see you posing nicely for Mom 👌🏽

You sure are a totally gorgeous boy, if Eurydice was still here she would no doubt be mailing love letters to your home address 💌

As is, I’m sure she is keeping a loving eye from her fluffy cloud ☁️💓🏹

Keep up the good work, Mom, and keep the updates (and pictures) coming 😘🐮💫✨🌟🌹

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

On The Road

30 July 2018 - 3:56 pm

Atlas the AWESOME! You are so lovely you made my day, we celebrate this BIG victory right there with you buddy! clap

Thanks for being such a great role model. Keep those photos coming!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

31 July 2018 - 4:13 am

Way to go, that is GREAT news! And those pictures.. wow!! Definitely time for celebration, I think I see an ice cream pawty in Atlas' future winkerclap

Please give the big guy a hug and a smooch!

Hugs,

Jackie and Huckleberry heart

Hugs,

Jackie, Bo, Andy, Oscar, Phoebe, and the coolest feral tripawd kitty Huckleberry

Huckleberry's Blog

31 July 2018 - 7:42 am

He looks great!  Thanks for the photo.

Pam

8 August 2018 - 8:18 pm

Hello to Atlas and family!

I am just now reading your story.  While I was reading it, there were parts that brought back memories.  Our large fur babies can get under estimated due to size but Monte was 200 pounds when we started out.  By time I decided on the surgery he was about 180.  A few bumps in the road but he's doing great now!

Atlas looks great and we hope recovery is still going strongheart 

Elizabeth and Monte

9 August 2018 - 9:26 am

Thanks Elizabeth! So glad to hear Monte is doing great! He's a handsome boy. How long has it been for you guys?

Atlas is doing great. He still has some scabbing on his scar, so we can't try him in the pool yet, but he's getting around the house and yard well. He's learned how to chew his bones with one paw but needs help playing with his ball outside.. it rolls away from him and we have to get it, but I think he likes that game, too. 🙂 

He tolerated the chemo well, so I think now all we do is love and spoil him. smiley

16 August 2018 - 9:30 am

Hi guys! Atlas went for his 2nd chemo today and is finally healed enough to use his new tripawd harness! The position of the handle really did help us with walking him on those slippery vet floors so two thumbs up for the harness. 🙂 The only thing he can't do the same is jump on our 12 yr old son's bed to sleep with him at night...so our son just put his mattress on the floor. Atlas has taught our boys so much about love and compassion, I'm so proud of him. 

https://www.ins.....soesposito

On The Road

16 August 2018 - 10:02 am

OH you handsome boy! Thanks for the big smiles this morning!

You sure look good in your Tripawd Convert harness, thank you so much for shopping with us and letting us know how it works for you.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

16 August 2018 - 11:02 am

SMOOCH...SMOOOOOCH.....SMOOCHING THAT SMOOCHAVLE MUG!!😚😚😚😎

Loooooove Atlas!!!!!  LOOOOVE HIM!!

And I love what your son is doing so he can sleep with Atals!! Truly melts my heart!  Such a treasured  memory!❤❤

Keep us updated....with pictures of course!!

Hugs

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

16 August 2018 - 5:46 pm

Atlas you look absolutely gorgeous 💓💓💓

Love to hear your son is sleeping with him on the floor, well done!!!!

You truly are a happy family, it warms my heart to see you all well, happy and united 💕

Give Atlas a special tummy rub from auntie Teresa and lots of kisses to his lovely family 😘🐮💫✨🌟🌹

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

Minneapolis, MN
16 August 2018 - 7:43 pm

I had not chimed in before, but wanted to say, I am in the Atlas fan club!  So HANDSOME.

Really pleased to see how well he is doing!

Lisa, Minneapolis

On October 27, 2016, nearly 6 months after amputation, and 18 months since his cancer likely started, we lost Pofi to a recurrence of Soft Tissue Sarcoma in his spine quite suddenly.  His canine sister also succumbed to cancer on March 1, 2019 - we lavished her with our love in the interim, but life was never quite the same without her only real canine friend. Cliff kitty had to leave us, too, suddenly, in August 2019. Lucia kitty grieved all these losses, but helped us welcome two new Lurchers into our home and our lives, Shae and Barley.

Blog: Pofi, Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Amputation

17 August 2018 - 8:30 am

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I gave Atlas all your smooches and tummy rubs and told him he has a fan club. 🙂 You guys are the best. 

29 August 2018 - 7:36 am

Well, we got some devastating news yesterday. Altas had developed a cough this past week. The vet xrayed his lungs and sure enough, they are full of tumors. We're kind of in shock at the moment, that the cancer could grow this fast. Just two months ago, there was no sign of it. She's put him on steroids to see if that helps his breathing. Praying that it does, I just can't watch him struggle for breath. But to make that decision to let him go... he just seems so young, so full of life otherwise. HIs spirit is still there. Sorry for the depressing news, guys. I just know you all understand how unbelievably hard this is. Can't stop crying. 

Virginia

29 August 2018 - 9:22 am

We understand, yes, we understand.   So for now, cry and vent and scream and rage....we all did.  And then after that,  let's  talk about some options and ways to continue  to get extended  quality time, okay??

Here we go!  First, deep breaths.  B R E A T H E.  INHALE SLOWLY....EXHALE SLOWLY.  B R E A T H E

Many, many dogs fot grear extended quality  time....JERRY, SASSY, my HAPPY  HANNAH.  None of them knew they had mets and none of them cared!  Nope, the didn't  hear a word the Vet said! They just continued  on flowing  effortlessly  from one moment of spoiling  and loving to the next.

Check into these options:  Palladia and Metronomics.  Also others can advise on good cough medicines  that helped. 

Sounds like your Vet has given you Prednisone.  Mets cause  inflammation  around them and that helps reduce the inflammation,  thus relieving  symptons.  In most  cases, mets aren't  actually  "painful",  so your girl is not "suffering "  ow, okay?  Tiredness  does not hurt.  It can, of course, eventually interfere  with quality.  That's  not where you are right now, okay? 

I  have to head out, but just wanted  to let you know Atlas is not going anywhere  anytime soon and there ARE options  to help ensure  that!

Lots and lots of love...and huge smooches to the  most handsome  mug in the world!!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: krun15, benny55, Laura_9
Guest(s) 276
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17844
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: