TRIPAWDS: Home to 22969 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Going in on Friday for front leg amputation on 150lb mastiff.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Schofield, WI
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
15 April 2016 - 5:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Any updates on Cooper yet?  Keeping you in my thoughts today.

Linda, Riley, & Spirits Ollie & Mighty Max

16 April 2016 - 10:05 pm

So Cooper did well at surgery.  We had to take him home the same day.  The first night was rough as the morphine was making him drousy.  It took 3-4 of us to get him in car.  He went up his ramp though.  We experienced some crys that night when he would move.  Later in the night he started to eat and drink water.  This morning when I was at work my wife and best friend said he came outside on his own.  I am with him right now and he is already walking on his own and just went to the bathroom.  We changed his guaze pad and not much blood.  The vet called and said she was worried sending him home as a big dog on a weekend but could not believe how well he was doing.  Hes doing so good already after one day.  I dont know if were lucky but man what a trooper our Cooper is?  He gets up on his own and weighs 150.  The only bad news is when checking him in they noticed his pupils were different sizes.  The doc checked him out and everything was fine but could not rule out if he had a brain tumour or cancer could spread to his head.  They said the important thing was to take care of his pain in leg then deal with other issue.  All along I was knowing it may spread but hoping to buy him some quality time pain free.  Other than that he is doing awesome.  After lastnight we questioned our decision but today no doubts are left we did the right thing.  Those big dogs can bounce back and now I can say dont listen to the doubters.  Thanks for everyones concerns and support.  It really was the deciding factory we played on.

Jason

Virginia

16 April 2016 - 10:47 pm

OHHHHH MYYYYY DOGGG!! Cooper, the150 lb Mastiff, came home the SAME day of surgery AND is walking already??? I am bowing down in awe!! And didn't have a crazy night of whining and restlessness and crying and confusion??? Unbelievable!!!

Earing and drinking already?! Yet more reason to be in awe!!

Now don't be surprised if he has a bit of a crash o ce the hospital pain meds wear off. He needs complete rest and just potty breaks. Ge tle massaging all.pver may help soothe sore muscles as they adapt to three legs. Sounds like he's really happy to have that painful leg gone!

As far as the difference in the pulils, that could be sooo many different things! Right now thst painful leg is go e a d Cooper is getting on with livi g life to the fullest!! He sure isn't worried about a thing!!

I'm jjst so glad to hear how well he's doing...especially up and walking! Sometimes big dogs do need a few days to get up on their own...HA! Cooper blew thst theory out of the water!!

Stay connected, okay? Looking forward to more great updates!

Love to all and YAY FOR COOPER!!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

17 April 2016 - 6:44 am

Good boy Cooper! Our big boys have no problem getting up the first day. Keep up the great work and we are all here for you.

XO

Deb, Belle and Angel Zeus

Schofield, WI
17 April 2016 - 7:20 am

Yay Cooper!  And Sally is right the pupil size can be many things such as an eye injury.  My own pupils are different due to just that!  Just take one day at a time and we'll be sending all the Tripawd healing energy we've got to Cooper.  

Hugs ((()))

Linda, Riley & Spirits Ollie & Mighty Max

17 April 2016 - 5:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I cant figure out how to post pics on these messages? any help?

On The Road

17 April 2016 - 6:09 pm

bloocent1 said
I cant figure out how to post pics...

Here are detailed instructions for adding photos to forum posts . If you don't already share photos online somewhere, you can start a free Tripawds blog any time and upload them there.

Need further help? Post in the Tech Support forum , and we'll be happy to help!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

19 April 2016 - 10:31 pm

Ok so update on Big Cooper.  Everything went well changing his bandage on Saturday but then Sunday things turned.  We noticed bleeding or spotting from his bandage.  I called my vet which was not open and sent us to the ER.  He seems totally fine but the blood or Serum they tell me was dripping too much.  Got him home Sunday and only a 150 ER fee... which I was surprised.  That night seen more spotting through bandage but not alot.  They told us to outline it with marker and if got bigger needs to come back in.  It did not but in the morning going to the bathroom was fine but afternoon started seeping and dripping again.  I took him in on my lunch and they bandaged him back up at my normal vet.  They put him on Amoxicillan also.  He did well until this morning on Tuesday.  He went all night and just slept.  When I took him to bathroom today started dripping again.  I was able to move my morning job and take him in around 915am.  They saw him briefly wrapped him up and sent home.  He was fine all day and I worked this afternoon.  When I got home we fed him and he got up.  A few minutes later noticed the dripping again and called the vet.  They said just bring him in and leave overnight.  They also told us yesterday to drop him off this morning and they would watch him all day because he needs frequent bandage re-wrapping.  They have been awesome that is Alma School Animal Hospital in Mesa, AZ.  So Cooper is there right now overnight just chilling and I will pick him up tomorrow.

20 April 2016 - 4:20 am

Sounds like he is in a good place where someone can carefully monitor him and figure out what's up.   Sounds like something is going on when he moves around, so hopefully they will see it too.  Thinking about you and Cooper.  Otis, by the way, is "small" in comparison at only 100 pounds.  😀

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

Michigan
20 April 2016 - 8:19 am

Awe...it sounds like overall, he's doing good, though.  Usually with the big dogs it's getting them up & walking that's the hardest part.  And a lot of times it's getting any of them to eat.  The dripping could just be normal fluid build up - sometimes maybe a pressure dressing would be helpful, but that's not always the easiest thing to accomplish.  Nice that the office is being so helpful for you!

Donna

Donna, Glenn & Murphy 

Murphy had his right front leg amputated due to histiocytic sarcoma at 7 years old. He survived 4 years, 2 months & 1 week, only to be taken by hemangiosarcoma at 11 1/2 years 6/12/17  
Read about Murphy's Life on Three Legs

Donna.png

On The Road

20 April 2016 - 9:41 am

Oh you poor thing, sorry to hear about all the back and forth. But I like the way your vets are handling things, what a great practice! He's in good care. Hang in there, you'll be able to put this behind you soon.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

20 April 2016 - 2:48 pm

Well geez Cooper, Big Boy Cooper! Other than the pesky draining, you are doing really well! I'm glad you are getting good care at the vet's. It maybe that they'll put a draining tube in, but it sounds like rebandaging and some confinement may do the trick. I know this is frustrating but this drainage issue happens sometimes.

Keep us updated. Try and get some much deserved sleep tonight. After a night at the vet, Cooper will be so happy to see you tomorrow...especially after he counts his legs and knows all three are still there!winker

Lots of hugs ro all!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

22 April 2016 - 9:07 pm

cooper chillingImage Enlarger

22 April 2016 - 9:08 pm

Image Enlarger

22 April 2016 - 9:09 pm

Image Enlarger