TRIPAWDS: Home to 23105 Members and 2159 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12 yo 100 lb Mastweiler with front right shoulder CSA, should we amputate?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
16 May 2017 - 9:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Sunday afternoon at the beach in Rayong.

It was suggested to have him walk in the water rather than swim and it seems to be letting him use the hind legs more normally

IMG-20170514-WA009.jpgImage Enlarger

But mostly he likes laying across me and chewing his tennis ball

IMG-20170514-WA014.jpgImage Enlarger

16 May 2017 - 9:19 pm

After having decided to not do any chemo etc since his mets was confirmed in the lymph nodes, I called the oncologist to let him know of my decision and he tried again convinced me to try the Metronomic Therapy saying that it pretty much would have no side effects, could prolong survival for a few months and would only cost about $50 for the Chlorambucil plus another $20 for blood tests each month.

I was still undecided but decided to take the 6 hour round trip to the University yesterday and went ahead and got the first 2 month supply of the meds.

Bruno's walking seemed to be improving a bit on Monday maybe from the walking in the water or from increasing his Gabapentin dosage or the Meloxicam starting to take effect of maybe a bit of all of those things so I have my fingers crossed that his quality of life would improve and that this would justify trying to prolong his survival with the Metronomic Therapy. I gave him the first dose last night and he seemed perfectly good with it so far today.

Virginia

16 May 2017 - 10:01 pm

Rob, Bruno looks sooooo happy!!! 🙂 I can see from his photo that he DOES feel better! His eyes have a sparkle back in them. He really seems to have quite a relaxed and happy expression on his handsome mug playing with that ADORABLE neighbor's dog.

The picture with Bruno "chasing" his ball in the water with laser focus....OMD...soooo cute!! And then seeing him happily chewing his ball while using you as his raft....best picture evvver!!

So glad to hear that, for whatever reason, Bruno is showing signs of improving!! That is such good news....no...GREAT NEWS!!! I do hope you can get to the beach fairly frequently. It seems to do him some good...and I'm sure it does you some good too!!

There are members here, and Jerry's one of them, who seemed. to get some great extended quality time on Metronomics! For whatever it's worth, I'm glad the Onco talked you into giving it a try.

Is Bruno on an everyday day dose of the Cytoxan, or an every other day? I think there's been some back and forth on which approach is best. Urinary infections can be a side effect sometime, but not as much with boy dogs. "They" say it's best to give the pills in the morning so the dogs have lots of times to pee to help prevent UTI. But yes, it's a fairly safe protocol with almost no potential for side effects.

I keep scrolling backmup tomlook at his pictures because he looks soooo happy and content! Every picture shows Bruno living in the bliss of the moment with no worries! Keep on staying in the moment with Bruno and share the bliss!

Thanks for this good update with these DELIGHTFUL pictures!

BRUNO'S INTERNATIONAL FAN CLUB sending love and dozens of green tennis balls! 🙂

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

17 May 2017 - 3:16 am

The oncologist has him on daily doses of Chlorambucil and has him taking it in the evening. He only goes out in the morning and evening for potty so I don't think there is more opportunity to pee one way or the other as he will not ever pee on the balcony. The oncologist never mentioned any UTI risk but I will keep an aye on his urine output.

Germany
17 May 2017 - 3:24 am

You know, Rob, if you notice anything wrong, as in side effects, you can always stop. I for one am still hoping that Bruno gets a little more mobility yet. I think the wading in water is a great idea. It's no different to what they do with water treadmills really and I can tell you that I myself had hydro therapy when I was in rehab for my back. It feels so good to be able to move while at the same time not having to carry any weight. Actually getting out of the water was uncomfortable because you could feel the weight slowly crushing you again. I will always believe that my experiences can't be all that different to what a dog feels regarding his body so if Bruno crashes on the beach after being in the water it may have something to do with that too. 

Let us know how you get on

hugs 

tina 

Guardian of Manni the Wonderdog. -Or was it the other way around?
Osteo and amputation in Dec 2015. Second, inoperable, primary osteosarcoma found in June 2017.
The end of our adventures came Dec 10, 2017. 2 years to the day.

Manni's blog -dogblog-

On The Road

17 May 2017 - 8:32 am

I'm so thrilled to see Bruno getting up and out, he looks great!

Glad to hear you're trying metronomics . It worked well for our Jerry. My only concern in reading your description of how you're giving it is that you're giving the chemo at night. We have been told by oncologists to give it in the AM, so that way the patient has as many opportunities as possible to urinate the chemo throughout the day. You don't want it sitting in his bladder overnight, as that increases the odds of cystitis.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

17 May 2017 - 9:23 am

Have to chuckle a bit about Bruno and his pee habits:-) If I recall, Bruno must have the bladder of the Mastiff side of his genetics, as it wasn't unusual for him to pee just once every 24 hours!!

So FOR Bruno to pee twice a day is VERY frequently for him!! 🙂

Love this dog!!!!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

17 May 2017 - 10:21 am

Bruno looks FANTASTIC! He OBVIOUSLY loves lying across you and being in the water with you. And chewing on his tennis ball. He certainly has more of a sparkle in his eye which is wonderful to see. Bruno, also, truly seems absolutely connected to you. And you him. Thank you for the lovely update. There is no greater gift than knowing that Bruno is PRESENT with you each day. Kudos for you in exploring metronomics : it takes much out of us to listen to many points of view during this journey which is already exhausting. The fact that Bruno is making incremental improvement is exactly what we all want to see. Bruno knows - like the Buddha- what he knows and has his own plan for his journey. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this dog. You are the best person he could have ever met in his life. Go Rob, go Bruno!!! Kudos to you both!!!

Best wishes, huge hugs, and PyrPaws all around!

17 May 2017 - 12:32 pm

From what I have read the UTI risk is from Cytoxan ONLY, Chlorambucil (Leukeran) has no such risk and can be taken at any time of day unlike Cytoxan.

I was liking the Cytoxan for Bruno when I read that it was an arthritis medication as well as a cancer medication but then I saw the high incidence of hemorrhagic cystitis with Cytoxan so when the University Oncologist gave us the Chlorambucil I was actually a bit relieved as Bruno just had gotten cystitis last month from the not peeing for 2 and 1/2 days after his surgery so avoiding the risk of UTIs seemed to be a good idea.

Virginia

17 May 2017 - 2:11 pm

Thanks for the additional I sight and clarification! Sorry I co fused the two. I had forgotten he'd already had the cystitis from holding his pee somlong from vefore. Silly boy!!

And the Leukeran has definitely been used by members before. If I recall, Jackson had been on metronomics for awhile and developed cystitis, which took a loooong time to clear up. He then switched to Leukeran with zero side effects. Jackson's Mom was some sort of "Scientist" and checked it out thoroughly and felt very positive about it. Katy (his Mom) posted a lot of good information about it. One of the techie search geniuses will .aybe be able to find it. This is how I recall it anyway! AND jackson was with us for over two uears.....and as a senior too! 🙂

And DITTO DaBear!

Loooove this dog and the devotion the twomof you share to each other! 🙂 🙂

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

On The Road

17 May 2017 - 3:28 pm

Got it, I missed that part. Great research, Dad!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Santa Fe, NM

17 May 2017 - 4:33 pm

I'm late in joining the Bruno fan club but I'm all in. He is the cutest, most handsomest guy! I love his smile!

I've nothing to add in the way of advice, just here for you both. You two obviously have a pretty incredible bond.

Sending you love and peace - enjoy your boy!

hugs

Teri and angel Isa

Right rear leg amp 7/12/16 due to OSA. Metastatic lesion on her right front leg, January 2017. Joined the Winter Warriors January 19, 2017. Run free my sweet girl.

18 May 2017 - 11:44 am

Hey Rob and Bruno, 

GREAT pictures, me and Eurydice absolutely adore your boy and you surely are the best Dad ever !

I mean, who creates a "little" garden just for his dawg to be able to go potty ?

Eurydice was on metronomics for about 2 months (cyclophosphamide, antibiotics and anti inflammatory) but sadly it did not help her so we switched to another IV chemo. 

But there are lots of dawgs here who did very well with metronomics so we really hope Rob will be one of them (no reason why he shouldn't be) 

Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures, we totally love to see Rob's cute little face any day of the week.

Hugs and cuddles heart

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

Minnesota
19 May 2017 - 8:10 pm

Rob and Sweet Bruno -

I discovered your story after doing a search in the forum for chondrosarcoma. I started reading and couldn't stop. I am completely smitten with you both and just think your love for Bruno is beautiful and contagious! I am so touched by the way that you are caring for Bruno and am cheering for both of you.

Thank you for sharing your story and with such terrific medical detail! This is undoubtedly very valuable to other dog parents including myself. I hope you have many happy moments together, I am truly so glad I found your story and am so touched.

Lots of Love to you both,

Amy & Rusty

5 June 2017 - 11:47 am

Hi Rob,

How is Bruno doing ???

Sending you both kisses and cuddles heart

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Bri, Laura_9
Guest(s) 142
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17857
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: