TRIPAWDS: Home to 22971 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Prosthetic for Barkley? 17yr old. Doberman 3-legged since 2005
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1 August 2008 - 1:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hello Everyone

I had no idea I was in such good company! My little love bee Barkley had his leg amputated in 2005.  He is now 17 years young. 

Here he is playing with Meho the piggy.

My question is do you think he is too old for a prosthetic.  I love the idea of your harness I have been looking for this harness for years now so I am very pleased to see you have developed a product that will really support the chest and belly.

I am currently working with a doctor who thinks he can put a supporting leg on Barkleys left side.

I just dont want to waste his time and my money as I bought Barkley a wheelchair and he would not have anything to do with it and just stood and barked at me.  Any experiences or thoughts are appreciated.

Robin and Barkley

Dogs rule

On The Road

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1 August 2008 - 8:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi Robin and Barkley! Thanks for regiostering and welcome to the forums. We moved this post to the Share your Story forum here since you posted it under Tech Support, and it's such a great story. Seventeen years? Wow!

We wrote about dog prosthetics in my blog, and you may want to check out the related discussion about prosthetics for dogs here in the forums.

Personally, I think we dogs adapt better to life on three legs than to having a foriegn object attached to us. It's much harder for us than people to learn how to use a prostethic due to the communication barrier. Unless it's just a false paw that might be easy to figure out, but hat's just me. We'll see what others have to say.

My people think the Ruff Wear Harness is the best way for them to help me when I need it – up and down stairs, etc. (We didn't develop it. We only sell it because we swear by it!)

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: admin, jerry, Shelby
Guest(s) 212
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17734
Moderators: 6