TRIPAWDS: Home to 23086 Members and 2157 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 July 2015 - 6:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

7/26 was a rough night.  While I was cutting wood in the back of our property my dog wandered away.  I think he must have found a neighbors trail leading out to the next road.....by the time we found him he had been shot and was surrounded by 6 caring neighbors who bandaged his wounded front leg and had kept him comfortable until we found him.  We are new to the neighborhood and in a remote area, so don't yet know many of our neighbors.  

Mav is 13 years old and we never dreamed he would go through this.  We have chickens, have had goats and many "wild" rabbits in the yard.  He doesn't pay attention to any of them and would certainly not harm them.  

Fast forward through the drama of finding out what had happened, we rushed him to the vet ER, got X-rays and found the leg wound was inoperable, we were left with euthanize or amputating.  Amputating the leg of a 13 year old dog was not easy, but this site helped convince me it was the right decision.  The amputation was Monday morning and he came home Tuesday morning.  Tuesday and Wednesday made us question our decision, but the progress has been steady and today has seen a huge improvement.  I had to carry him in and out the first two days, but today he is doing most of the work on his own.

We have a long road ahead and his future isn't certain, but hopefully our experience will help others in similar positions, as yours helped us.

On The Road

30 July 2015 - 6:55 pm

Welcome! Your future forum posts will not require moderation.

Happy to hear Maverick is healing well. We look forward to following his progress. Best wishes, please keep us posted.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Norene, TN
3 August 2015 - 11:58 am

Welcome and howdy!!

Shot?? Dang!

Bless you for being his pawrent and 13 years to boot!? That's outstanding!

Keep us updated! We'd love to know more about Mav and the rest of the pack.

pam

Harmony became a Tripawd on 10/21/14 (MCT). She left us way too soon on 11/1/14.

"We miss you so much; our love, our heart, our Harmony."

- Pam, Ron and Melody, Meesha, Doublestuff and Mariah Carey

Virginia

3 August 2015 - 4:46 pm

MAVERICK! Just breaks my heart to hear someone could be sooo cruel and heartless! There is just no way a dog can
protect themselves from such asinine stupidity!

I'm so glad you are on the mend though. You sound like quite a feisty fella'!

Yes, recovery can be rough for AT LEAST the first two weeks. For three weeks I thought I had made a horrible decision and regretted doing it TO my dog! But once my Happy Hannah's sparkle came back, I knew I had done it FOR my dog! There can be a lot of ups and downs those first weeks and it usually takes a bit of adjusting to get the pain meds just right.

For now, just rest and potty breaks. It takes a @ot of e ergy to be a tripawd AND to recover from major surgery!

Please stay connected and let us know how Maverick is doing. I love his name! When you can, we'd love to see pictures. We are here for you!

Hugs to all!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

4 August 2015 - 7:14 am

OH my gosh! Some welcome to the neighborhood, I'm really sorry you and Maverick went through this. But wow, he's going to make it and do just great! Thank you for giving him a chance at a good life in his senior years. As he heals, we would love it if you shared your experience in "Size and Age Matters," that's where stories of mature dogs are located and we would love to be able to point people to Maverick as an example of the possibilities.

Keep us posted and let us know if we can do anything to help recovery be a little easier OK? Hugs to you and Maverick!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 206
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17842
Moderators: 6