TRIPAWDS: Home to 11954 Members and 1383 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Update after seeing oncologist, more waiting :( | Presentation and Diagnosis

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Discussion

Learn about life on three legs in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free to take advantage of member benefits:

  • Instant post approval.
  • Private messages to members.
  • Subscribe to favorite topics.
  • Join the Live Chat and more!

free tripawds account tripawds member log in

K9 Immunity Plus — Hope For Dogs With Cancer

Get help with Dr. Dressler's Dog Cancer Kit

Help Your Tripawd Swim!

ruffwear float coat dog life jacket

Three legged dogs swim safer and have more fun with the K9 Float Coat from Ruffwear!




A A A

Please consider registering
Guest

Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Update after seeing oncologist, more waiting :(
sp_NewPost Add Reply sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Member
Forum Posts: 48
Member Since:
21 May 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
24 May 2018 - 12:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

We went to the dr with Charlie today. Was all set to proceed with leg surgery on Saturday.

Now we have to wait. The radiologist saw a spot on the right shoulder (left is the bad one) and they can't say for sure what it might be. 

So the dr wants to do a CT scan of the right shoulder, if it looks suspicious then they want to biopsy it. 

if it only looks like arthritis then they will proceed with the leg removal Tuesday. 

(they couldn't get a CT scan done on sat and the CT is booked between now and sat)

So now I just hate waiting even longer to see what we will do with Charlie. 

We were all set in our minds to do the leg removal. Now with this other spot, if it is the bone cancer what do we do?
It also sucks the dr said it will be 7-10 days to get the biopsy results if that is done. It wasn't clear if we had to wait for the biopsy results to proceed with a leg removal or not if we were still going to remove the leg even if the shoulder was cancer. 

This just makes things even more difficult now because he has to deal with his left leg pain for longer. Then if it is cancer in his right side also we just don't know what we should do. We don't want that to start causing him too much pain also!

Please just pray his right side is arthritis, otherwise it might be time for him to get his wings and I just don't feel like it is yet but I can't see him just living on pain meds...

The Rainbow Bridge

Forum Posts: 23251
Member Since:
25 April 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
24 May 2018 - 1:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

Ok, first, this is sooo hard but B R E A T H E. Promise me. Close your eyes. Inhale deeply through your nose. Exhale slowly through your mouth. Repeat. This helps, I promise.

Some thing to consider:

It sucks that you all have to wait. But maybe that's a good thing. Holiday weekends tend to be VERY busy at vet clinics, not the best day to do a major surgery like amputation. You want him to be there on a slow day.

Your vets are doing a great job by taking precautions. That's all it is. Odds are it's arthritis. It happens all the time. I'm sorry you have to wait for the tests to come back, but you won't regret having all the information there before surgery.

For now, what pain medication is he on? If he is showing signs of pain, ask your vet to help you adjust the medication. Either through higher dosages or adding another one into the mix. 

It feels terrible to feel so out of control. Just remember, we can't control the future, ever, but we can control how we react to things that happen in the present. Stay calm and know that right now, all Charlie wants is for you to be happy. Really! Even his pain isn't as important to him as knowing that the pack is in command of the situation. You can do it! Be an advocate, get him enough pain control and take things moment by moment. 

If you want to talk, the Tripawds Helpline is here too OK?  Hang in there.

It's better to hop on three legs than to limp on four.™
Latest Tripawds News
Read my story here.

Support the Tripawds Foundation!

Member
Forum Posts: 48
Member Since:
21 May 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
24 May 2018 - 2:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

Thanks Jerry. It is probably better to wait but right now its just not wanting the legenth of pain to continue, I know removing the leg removes the pain.

I hope it is just arithitis 

We have tramadol for him now and I am also giving him T-Relief (homopathic) and he continues to get CBD oil. 

Its so hard to control my negativeness and to be happy for him. I know he's reading me because I am his person. 

I'm actually taking him and myself to a resonance repatterning session friday night. it seems like an odd technique but its supposed to help you let go of old emotions and such. I am hopeing it may help me be more positive for Charlie and for him to let go of some of my emotional burden so he fees better on that part. Or it might do nothing but its worth a try. 

Here and Now

Forum Posts: 11312
Member Since:
25 April 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
24 May 2018 - 5:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

color23 said
Its so hard to control my negativeness and to be happy for him. I know he's reading me because I am his person...

Yes, he will follow your lead. This is why we say Be More Dog , and that is not just some silly saying...listen to our Be More Dog podcast for details.

Member
Forum Posts: 93
Member Since:
12 May 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
24 May 2018 - 9:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

Who gave you the tramadol?  General vet or onco?   I would ask your local vet for something stronger than tramadol. The talk with some vets is itvdoesn’t work well and it’s not being used very  much    There are better options. Like gabapentin for example

Member
Forum Posts: 48
Member Since:
21 May 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
25 May 2018 - 6:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

We started him on gabapentin this morning, combining it with the tramadol. Waiting for a call back from oncologist to see the best way to space them out so he stays covered. 

Treating him over night is the hardest because we want him to stay comfortable but I also want us all to get sleep. 

He will still get the pet releaf for general use but we probably will lower the amount some.

Member
Forum Posts: 93
Member Since:
12 May 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7
25 May 2018 - 12:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

What is the concern with sleep?  What is ur dosing schedule?    

Member
Forum Posts: 48
Member Since:
21 May 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
8
25 May 2018 - 2:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

luke4275 said
What is the concern with sleep?  What is ur dosing schedule?      

Well it would be great if he could sleep through the night without waking up at 2-4 am grumbling or whining in pain 🙁

The oncologist said 2 tram every 8 hrs, 300 mg gab every 8-12 hrs but its only 8 hrs apart so far. She said it doesn't matter if he gets them all at once or apart. So I'm trying to see what is keeping him most comfortable.
Giving him the tram 4 hrs apart from the gab so he gets something sooner or even breaking the tram dose to 1 pill every 4 hrs

Michigan
Member
Forum Posts: 1385
Member Since:
2 April 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
9
25 May 2018 - 4:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

It's best to alternate them - so give the tramadol, then 4 hours later the gabapentin.  That way he has a more even coverage - your vet is wrong.

12 - medication #1

4 - med #2

8 - med #1

12 - med #2 

This will give the most relief with the medications you have.  They could add something like Rimadyl/Carprofen/Meloxicam (all are NSAID's like Motrin) to add a little more relief.  

Donna (this is from a nurse, so take it from experience smiley)

Donna, Glenn & Murphy  http://murphyh......pawds.com/

Murphy had his right front leg amputated due to histiocytic sarcoma at 7 years old.  He survived 4 years, 2 months & 1 week, only to be taken by hemangiosarcoma at 11 1/2 years 6/12/17  

Donna.png

Here and Now

Forum Posts: 11312
Member Since:
25 April 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
10
25 May 2018 - 6:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

midnighter94 said
...your vet is wrong.

Please know that Donna is a very experience Registered (human) Nurse, and that we always recommend consulting with your veterinarian regarding prescribed medication, dosages, and administration instructions. When in doubt, seek a second opinion.

Member
Forum Posts: 93
Member Since:
12 May 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11
25 May 2018 - 8:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

The tramadol is the weakest link.  If you need to skip one bec its 4 am. , id skip that one.   Have u considered galliprant for OA ?   

Member
Forum Posts: 48
Member Since:
21 May 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12
26 May 2018 - 6:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

it seems like we are figuring it out. He needs a tramodol about 2.5 hrs before he's supposed to get his scheduled Gab at 8 hrs apart
We give him a T-relief  homopathic at the same time as tramadol. 
He gets the PetReleaf as needed in between if he's in pain and its too soon for meds

I think the galliprant is what my regular vet mentioned before but we haven't tried it

Member

Forum Posts: 1849
Member Since:
22 August 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13
28 May 2018 - 8:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

I would agree to add some kind of NSAID for inflammation unless your vet thinks there is some reason not to use it.  I use meloxicam for my big dog but Galliprant is the newest veterinary NSAID and may be safer on the GI tract as well as liver and kidneys.

Pam

Member
Forum Posts: 56
Member Since:
31 December 2017
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14
28 May 2018 - 2:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

Rimadyl (and perhaps other NSAIDs) are reputed to have a complementary effect with Gabapentin . . . they don't need to be taken together, but they work together just the same and the whole exceeds the sum of the pieces.  I'm also surprised to hear Luke's comment on Tramadol which has been wonderful for Jake (who turned 15 yesterday) and his lumbo sacral stenosis.  FWIW, I tried giving Jake Gabapentin but it seemed too disorienting, especially for long-term use.

Member
Forum Posts: 48
Member Since:
21 May 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
15
29 May 2018 - 2:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_NewPost sp_QuotePost

We are NOT giving him a NSAID yet because of his pancreatitis history. My mom's dog was on rimadyl longer term and had bad side effects.

The gabapentin does seem to make charlie a little woozy so we will talk to the dr about other pain meds for him also.

YAY the CT was CLEAR! Also nothing in the lungs so far. Surgery will be Thursday

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online:
61 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices Used: Desktop (59), Phone (2)

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 997

Members: 11981

Moderators: 2

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 23

Topics: 14727

Posts: 206889

Administrators: admin, jerry, jim

Moderators: betaman, krun15

Tripawds Blogs is brought to you by Tripawds.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG