TRIPAWDS: Home to 22969 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Surgery on Mar 31 2015
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
27 March 2015 - 2:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi everyone,

My name is Mike, my dog's name is Iris. She is a 5 month APBT, and needs her right hind leg amputated because it was broken (I think it was just rough housing with the little kid from where I got her, seemed like a decent household to me)

I just can't afford the 5-6k reconstructive surgery, so I figured the least I could do for her, was amputate the leg, and give her a shot at life. So we are going with the amputation, I just have no idea what I'm to expect taking a dog that will run around, although favoring the incorrectly healed leg, into the vet, and picking her up with 3 legs.

I have read blogs and forum post here, and understand us humans are the only species with body complex issues, or that feel sorry for ourselves, I just can't fathom the image in my head of when she comes to, and can't figure out where her leg is. I know she will get over it, eventually, but this is just eating me up...

I live in Sacramento, Ca. Is there anyone in the area that I can buy a cup of coffee for, and put me at ease? Just give me some pointers on what they encountered with their tripawd and then maybe, if necessary be of some assistance if something seems out of place in her recovery?

I'm all out of money for the vet for atleast 2 paychecks, I simply can't afford the "exam" fees at the vet if something seems out of place with her recovery. I just want her to have a good shot at a happy life, and feel bad she got stuck with me, because I can't afford anything past her amputation. U.C. Davis is doing it for $975, through their vet school, and that's $500 cheaper than my vet.

Thanks for any feedback.

On The Road

27 March 2015 - 9:48 pm

Welcome to the club nopawdy ever wants to join! Sorry for the delayed reply, your future forum posts will not require moderation.

It may help to review some of the post-op pictures in the Tripawds galleries so you are prepared for picking up Iris.

Be sure to bookmark Jerry's Required Reading List too for lots of helpful links. We've also recently updated the Resources page and tagged all Frequently Asked Questions for easy reference.

Most importantly, our best advice is to Be More Dog . The vast majority of dogs cope with amputation much better than their people do!

Best wishes, please keep us posted.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

27 March 2015 - 11:48 pm

Hey Mike, it sounds like Iris got "stuck" with a great person who cares. Lucky dog!

Amputation costs can be a challenge for a lot of people. Ensure you follow the vet's directions for recovery and all should go well. Read as much as you can here and you'll find a lot of pointers. Iris is young and probably full of beans so the greatest challenge might be to keep her quiet while healing.

My tripawd is a cat, Mona, and she had some bizarre behaviour from the pain medication and was racing around the house but it seems as though most of the dogs are more sedate than her. I think some of the main things are to manage her pain with the medications; ensure she doesn't chew or scratch the staple; ensure the site drains and stays clean; put rugs down so she doesn't slip on the floors; help lift her up with a towel to get her outside to pee/poo. Check in here with your questions and you'll get lots of advice.

Good luck with the surgery. Yes, it's stressful but you will recover along with Iris.

Kerren

Virginia

28 March 2015 - 10:34 am

Hi Mike and Iris!

You are definitely in the right place for support, u derstanding and invaluable information!

I agree with Kerren, Iris is a very lucky dog to have you as her human! Clearly she is cared for and loved...NOW!

I KNOW this sounds like licing life on three legs will be traumatic to Iris. Get that thought o ut of your head. She will do fantastice!! She will be so glad to get rid of that painful leg and can finally start livi g life to the fullest!!

And as far as "finances"...oh heah...we all j derstand that predicament!! Actually, many dogs on the site here end up having amputation after spending thousands and thousands trying to repair and save a damaged leg. Not knowing all the particulars and certainly not being a vet, I wouldn't be surprised, even if you had the funds, if Iris ended up having her leg amputated because it would never real k y heal, or because of infections, or constant re- injury.

I know it's hard to phantom because we have all our human fikters, but Iris will NOT slend on second worrying about her leg! And you will soon even forget she has three legs too! She will be able to do everything she did before, but without a painful leg!!

The main things to watch for would be infections or seromas. There will be some swelling, some discoloration and even some possible. light fluid leaksge. I fections stink and the fluid can be pussy snd bloody. She'll be on antibiotics for about ten days to two weeks sfter the surgery. But if you see anything abnormal at the jncision site, give your vet a csll. Unless you jave some complicatuopions, which can hallen with any surgery, your only follow up cost should be removing the stitches. That may already be included in the price. Sometimes dogs don't poop for a few days because of meds, etc. or they may not want to eat much at first. You'll want to make sure she drinks though....perhaps chicken broth in ner water if she's navi g issues there. But really, she'll know what to do!

You'll want to get non slip scatter rugs if you have hardwoods to help her with traction . You jave a lot of good links that will help with more info. on livi g life to the fullest on three legs!

The first two weeks of recovery can be a little rough. She'll be on lain meds, maybe a little restless. Iris should just be going for potty breaks and resting and getting treats and loving and spoiling! She will become your hero and your role model for how to deal with life's challenges...wagging her tail the whole time. You akready are her hero.

Stay connected to us. Let us know how we can help. When you can, we would love ro see photos of this precious pup.

Give Iris a nif smooch for us! Look forward to your next update!

Hugs to all!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

28 March 2015 - 11:01 am

Mike, you are a great pawrent and Iris and you will be just fine. UC Davis is a GREAT place to have sugery, that's where our Jerry had ours and they were pawesome! You can't ask for better care. 

We have a strong Tripawds group in the Bay Area and they will be getting together for one of their annual gathering in May. Watch our Tripawds Parties discussion forum topic or better yet go ahead and post there that you want to meet up with them. They gather in Mill Valley usually. Iris should be ready to handle a visit by then.

How abut some pictures of your pretty pup? Here are instructions for adding images to the Forums.

On The Road

28 March 2015 - 11:05 am

Oh by the way I know we have members in Sac, I can't think of exactly whom right now other than Rizzo. Here's one of their blog posts that features a link to a Good Morning Sacramento segment that Tripawds was featured in:

http://rizzo.tr.....pawds.com/

Oakland, CA
28 March 2015 - 11:23 am

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to welcome you and Iris to the Tripawds Nation! I know its scary right now but, as Admin Guy said, its a great time to practice being more dog. While it is important to prepare for Iris's recovery, try not to worry about what ifs. And yeah, Iris may wake up and wonder who stole her leg but she is going to get over it way faster than you! U.C. Davis does great work and Iris is young enough that she should have no troubles with recovery. In fact, your biggest problem with her recovery may be her puppy energy and trying to keep her quiet until she gets her stitches out and adjusts to life on three legs. It takes a little while for a dog to physically adjust and learn a new way of walking. No visits to the dog park, roughhousing with other dogs, or 5 mile hikes for awhile. I have three rear leg amp tripawds (5, 6, and 9 years old) and they all do great. 

You have already gotten some great links to explore but there is so much information on this site it can be a bit overwhelming trying to digest it all. So please don't hesitate to post any specific questions you have here in the forums. And for a little more "face to face" interaction you can hop over to the chat room and see if anyone is in. Evenings are when you will find more folks on the chat. We are all about support here so don't be shy! We have your back!

Woohoo! Tripawds Rule!

Regulator of the Oaktown Pack, Sheriff of the Oaktown Pawsse, Founding member and President of the Tripawd Girldogs With 2 Names ROCK Club, and ... Tripawd Girldog Extraordinaire!

Visit Codie Rae's Blog!

Livermore, CA

28 March 2015 - 12:40 pm

Hi Mike, and welcome.

I am part of the Nor Cal crew and we are getting together in Mill Valley in May- there will be a post soon with details.

Tri-Pug Maggie crossed the bridge a few years ago, but I still remember how worried I was about her surgery.  Maggie was not at all good with change and I worried that she would not do well.  I was right! But only because she was so dog gone stubborn!  She was hopping around just fine the day of surgery but was a pill for a few weeks.  Most pups bounce back much faster- and the young ones tend to do really well. And I bet that Iris will be much happier once that bum leg is gone. Maggie finally was OK with things and hopped happily through life for almost 4 years.

I'm in Livermore, so a bit far for a cup of coffee, but stay close to this site- tons of experience here to answer questions or just offer support.

And yes, pictures please!

Karen and the Spirit Pug Girls

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

28 March 2015 - 12:56 pm

Welcome Mike. I can relate! First of all, your pup is lucky to have you. It is an expensive process but so worth. Iris will have a normal, happy life with you! We couldn't afford the $3000 surgery either but got a credit card called Credit Care that was no interest for 6 months. After 6 months it is uber expensive so the idea is to pay off by 6 months to avoid that but may be something to look at. 

Check out all the stories on here. Everyone knows what you are going through and we are cheering for you. Iris is lucky to have you!!! Keep us posted! 

Martinsburg, WV
30 March 2015 - 10:29 am

In no way did Iris "get stuck" with you.  She found her way to you for a reason.  The journey of amputation whether it be due to broken bone, deformity, or cancer will bond you and Iris like nothing else.  The bond my husband and I had with our boy Leland after his amp surgery became so much deeper.  I must say that is one of the blessings of being on this journey...along with coming across this wonderful community full of people willing to lend support and advice.

And believe me we all understand the issue regarding finances and the struggle of wanting to do everything we can for our precious furkid...but we can't end up homeless either.  Iris will rebound from the surgery and all she'll really care about is not being in constant pain anymore.  The first couple of weeks of recovery are usually the most tiresome.  Finding the right combination of pain meds is usually the most troublesome.  You don't want Iris experiencing pain but you don't want her loopy and flying high either.  Like people some dogs do better on different pain meds than others...and there are several different ones that as used by vets.  If Iris seems "off" work with your vet to find the right dosing and combination.  And by all means ask questions here.  We've been down this road that you and Iris are embarking on and there is a load of knowledge within this community.

We look forward to hearing more about Iris and her journey.  And we'd love to see some pictures of your precious girl!!

Sahana and her Angel Leland

Leland

November 17, 2009 - June 30, 2014

May you finally be healthy and running free at the Rainbow Bridge. Until we meet again my sweet boy!

30 March 2015 - 4:50 pm

Image Enlarger
Thank you all for your replies! I've been busy, and just got Iris to U.C. Davis this morning. I get her back on Wednesday. They seem just as awesome as my vet, and I think right now my only anxiety is that she is in a cage with lots of other yelpers and she hasn't been around multiple dogs much. Hopefully they give her a doggie valium. They said they would go over post op care with me later, but the idea of a towel to help her go out a do her business was clutch! I was looking at harnesses and they are quite expensive, and she will be back before it would be shipped anyway. Thanks kazann! Here are some pics of Iris!

30 March 2015 - 5:02 pm

OK so apparently adding photos is quite difficult here. I have a class starting in a few minutes, so later tonight I will try to figure it out. Thanks everyone!

30 March 2015 - 6:35 pm

It's good things are moving along for you and your dog. I wanted to add that I've read that some people take a cloth shopping bag with handles and rip out the seams and use that to hoist their dog (remember I only dealt with a cat who just goes limp when picked up - mind you she is slippery laughing).

As for the harness there are some people who donate theirs so others can use them, check this forum out: http://tripawds.....-exchange/

I know it takes some skill to add photos, check this out: http://tripawds.....-photos-1/

Remember to come back here for other pointers from the dog people. Looking forward to seeing Iris the Lucky.

Kerren

On The Road

30 March 2015 - 9:18 pm

mhamilton84 said
OK so apparently adding photos is quite difficult here.

Not necessarily, the images just need to be hosted online somewhere first. Here are detailed instructions for adding photos to forum posts .

If you don't already share photos online somewhere, you can start a free Tripawds blog and upload them to your library. If you need additional assistance, post in the Tech Support forum and we'll be happy to help!

31 March 2015 - 9:49 am

Image Enlarger

OK folks. I finally got it right. Without sounding like too much of a jerk (I'm only halfway through my first cup of coffee) the photo uploading protocol here sucks! LOL. Anyways, here is Iris!!!IMG_0443.jpgImage Enlarger
Image Enlarger
Image Enlarger

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 175
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17731
Moderators: 6