TRIPAWDS: Home to 23086 Members and 2157 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Peter Allen (17 August 2010 to 31 October 2016)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Dallas
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3 November 2016 - 7:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

It is with a very heavy heart that I write this post, but I am not sure what else to do, say, or feel...

At 6:15 pm Texas time on 31 October 2016, Peter Allen, the coolest Doberman in the universe, crossed the Rainbow Bridge. 

He had a seizure on Sunday morning and was unable to walk. After consulting with a neurologist, critical care vet, regular vet, and his oncologist, he was not regaining mobility anytime soon - if ever. So, we made the horrific decision to not make him endure a life of any more struggle and pain and bad days. 

My boy is gone. I am absolutely shattered, numb, and still not sure what the heck happened (even though I know what happened). 

There is no more cancer, Wobblers, seizures, vWD, or DCM issues for our sweet boy. He is free to run on four legs, he is not in pain, and he is with his sisters - Dora (2005-2013) and Lilly (2000-2010). 

We got two extra months after our cancer diagnosis. I worked to make every day a perfect day for Sweet Pete. We had many good days, and he was loved and adored every day of his life. 

I will forever thank Peter for choosing us almost six years ago. He will always be my baby boy. He was perfect in his imperfect way. 

"...the most important thing is, if we are apart...I will always be with you." ~ A.A. Milne

Jen and Sweet Pete

Phillmar Spiderman (aka Peter),

Black and Tan Doberman, diagnosed 29 August 2016 with osteosarcoma, front left leg amputated 31 August 2016, chemo (carboplatin) administered 16 September, 11 October...earned his wings 31 October 2016 at 6:15 pm CST.

Los Angeles, CA
3 November 2016 - 7:57 pm

I am so incredibly sorry for the loss of your beloved Peter Allen.... he was indeed a fighter and a true hero to all! We grieve along side you right now and send you so much love and support.

Hugs!!!

Alison with Spirit Shelby in her heart (and little Jasper too) 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

Minneapolis, MN
3 November 2016 - 7:57 pm

I am so deeply sorry - I adored your beautiful boy.  We also just made this painful decision just one week ago when MRI revealed the reason Pofi was suddenly immobile was recurrence of STS in the spine.

I know you made every one of those moments in the last two months as wonderful as possible for you and your Sweet Pete.  Wishing you comfort in this knowledge and wishing Peter Allen the sweetest dreams.

Lisa, Minneapolis

On October 27, 2016, nearly 6 months after amputation, and 18 months since his cancer likely started, we lost Pofi to a recurrence of Soft Tissue Sarcoma in his spine quite suddenly.  His canine sister also succumbed to cancer on March 1, 2019 - we lavished her with our love in the interim, but life was never quite the same without her only real canine friend. Cliff kitty had to leave us, too, suddenly, in August 2019. Lucia kitty grieved all these losses, but helped us welcome two new Lurchers into our home and our lives, Shae and Barley.

Blog: Pofi, Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Amputation

3 November 2016 - 8:06 pm

Oh noooooooooooooooo 😔😔

My heart breaks with yours, this is such a stupid piece of crap disease that strikes whenever it pleases and takes our babies away from us without warning ...

There was absolutely nothing else you could have done and although unbearably painful for any of us to make the final decision we are all forced to do it when the time comes, for out babies' sake 😞

Peter knew how much you loved him and still does, he is with you in spirit and will forever watch over you. 

You gave him a lifetime of love, cuddles, fun, so many happy moments that are forever engraved in your heart 💗

There is a new star in the sky 🌟 its name is Peter, your beautiful, beautiful boy is shining over his loving pawrents 💫

I so wish I could comfort you more and ease your pain but only time can help 😞

May you find peace, my heart is with yours and Peter's, the only consolation is you will meet again one day, you can be sure your boy and his sisters will be eagerly waiting for you when you cross to the other side and what joy you will all have when you are reunited 💕

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

Livermore, CA

3 November 2016 - 8:53 pm

I can't believe another of our family has left so soon, I am very sorry.

You gave your boy every chance but he was really dealt a terrible hand.  Although his life was short I can tell that he will forever live in your heart, he will always be by your side.

Karen and Spirit Maggie

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

3 November 2016 - 10:59 pm

I am heartbroken to hear this news Jen, Peter was a beautiful dobe. They are such a special & loyal breed, I just wish they weren't so prone to this awful disease. I'm just so so sorry you lost your beloved boy so soon & way too young. 

Bentley is our eight year old Doberman, diagnosed 7/13/16 with osteosarcoma tumor on right front leg, became a tripawd on 8/1/2016. His recovery was amazing, he was rockin it on 3! Bentley lost his fight to this nasty cancer when it metastisized into his spine, we had to let him go 11/13/16 exactly 4 months after first diagnosis. He was the perfect best friend, i'll miss him forever. :(

London, UK

4 November 2016 - 5:54 am

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Peter. My heart goes out to you.

Sending love,

Meg and Clare (and Elsie Pie) xxx

Ruby, Staffy, born June 2022, became a Tripawd, 23 November 2023, adopted 12 January 2024.

Also Angel Tripawd Meg (aka The Megastar), who died in April 2023, aged 14, after seven glorious years on three, and Angel Staffies Pie and Bille. In the pawprints of giants...

The Amazing Adventures of Ruby Tuesday 

My Life as a Megastar

On The Road

4 November 2016 - 11:15 am

Oohhhhhhh my gosh this is just awful, I'm so sorry! There is no way to prepare for such a sudden loss, I can't imagine what you're going through. If there is anything at all we can do, please let us know OK? Feel free to post more photos and share Peter's life with us. It's clear he was so loved and adored by a wonderful family. And now, he's with all our Tripawd angels who will look after him until you're reunited.

My condolences to you and your family. I'm very, very sorry.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Norene, TN
4 November 2016 - 1:35 pm

I'm so very sorry for your loss. There truly are no amount of comforting words to say during a time like this. Just know that we're all here for you and know exactly how you feel.

Peace be with you.

pam

Harmony became a Tripawd on 10/21/14 (MCT). She left us way too soon on 11/1/14.

"We miss you so much; our love, our heart, our Harmony."

- Pam, Ron and Melody, Meesha, Doublestuff and Mariah Carey

4 November 2016 - 1:50 pm

I am so sorry that he passed so soon.  It is amazing to me how quickly things can change.   First, a seemingly healthy dog is diagnosed with cancer, and then a seemingly healthy cancer fighting dog is not with us anymore.  With both Otis and Tess, I took comfort from the fact that my final decisions were absolutely clear, supported by medical evidence.    Sounds like you were also in the same position, rather than being riddled with doubt and uncertainty as to whether you were making the right decision.   That doesn't make it easier, but really, in a lot of ways as caring pet parents, we have no choice.   And you did have two wonderful months, which I am sure meant a lot to him.  You are in our thoughts.

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

4 November 2016 - 2:56 pm

So sorry for your loss.  As others have said, it all seems to go from great to terrible so fast.  Fortunately, we have the Tripawds family that understands and helps us through.  Hold tight to the good memories, and know you gave him all the love he deserved and he was blessed to have you.

Peace,

Jenifer & Milo

Schofield, WI
4 November 2016 - 6:29 pm

I'm so so sorry for your loss of your beautiful boy.  Sometimes all options are taken away from us and we only have one choice left to make.  With great love you made that choice for Peter to be out of pain and gave him the only gift you had left to give him.  Know this tripawd nation mourns with you as we hold you in our hearts today and the coming hard days.  Fly free sweet Angel!

4 November 2016 - 8:05 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Peter.   Run Free.  He will meet you at the bridge.  We are all thinking of you & your family

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

Green Bay, WI

4 November 2016 - 10:17 pm

So sorry for the loss of your beloved Dobe....they truly are beautiful dogs, inside and out. Wishing you peace in the days ahead.

Paula and Nitro

Nitro 11 1/2  yr old Doberman; right front amp June 2014. Had 6 doses carboplatin, followed by metronomic therapy. Rocked it on 3 legs for over 3 years! My Warrior beat cancer, but couldn't beat old age. He crossed the Bridge peacefully on July 25, 2017, with dignity and on his terms.  Follow his blog entitled "Doberman's journey"

http://nitro.tripawds.com

"Be good, mama loves you".....run free my beautiful Warrior

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 260
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17842
Moderators: 6