TRIPAWDS: Home to 22974 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Farewell to the Queen - March 23, 2013
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Linden, MI
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
24 March 2013 - 8:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

It is with a shattered heart that I must announce that Queen Nova the Great Dane departed her earthly kingdom yesterday morning, Saturday, March 23, 2013.  I will say first that she went very peacefully, and it was exactly the transition I had prayed for… one where there was absolutely no doubt in mind that it was indeed her time and she was ready.  And for that I feel so very blessed.

547408_10150855510965794_1720196737_n.jpgImage Enlarger

As many of you already know, Nova was an absolute miracle girl who, over and over throughout her life, came up against many challenges to conquered them all.  It was like she was invincible.  It felt like she was so strong that she would live forever.  At age 2 she was first diagnosed with glaucoma, which required a rigorous 3 times daily regimen of several eyedrops, each timed 5 minutes apart.  Yes, from the very beginning Nova was a high-maintenance girl!  A few months after, she suffered from bloat/torsion, which is the top killer of Great Danes.  She endured tremendous pain, but made it through the emergency surgery, once again conquering what seemed impossible.

Then in 2008, shortly after a friend of mine pointed out a lump on her left front wrist, Nova was diagnosed with osteosarcoma.  Thankfully, having been a “Tripawd veteran” (we had a Dalmatian several years before who had bone cancer and an amputation),  I didn’t think twice about amputating.  This was followed by 4 rounds of chemo, oral chemo and then some natural supplements.  Through all of this she continued to fight her glaucoma battle and gradually lost her sight, first in one eye, followed by the other about 6 months later.  She spent 3 of her 4+ years as a blind Tripawd.

300355_10150357283405794_1596878087_n.jpgImage Enlarger

Over the past 4 years Nova continued to endure many little health crises here and there, which every time I was convinced was evidence of cancer metastasis.  But each time, diagnostic tests and imaging would prove that was not the case, she was healthy as a horse.  I was in awe of the strength of this amazing girl, how she continued to win the battle.  In late May 2012 we were dealt another blow when Nova started to show some symptoms of confusion.  We had a partial workup at that time, and ruled out cancer metastasis to everywhere but the brain.  An MRI was the only way to diagnose a brain tumor, and at nearly $2-3K for that, we opted to not do it, and just treat her symptoms with prednisone.

Things seemed to calm down, and Nova was comfortable and happy, with not much more than a UTI here and there.  The confusion seemed to no longer be there, but I knew that could have just been the prednisone talking.  Slowly, what I will call “old lady” symptoms started cropping up.  Nova occasionally had trouble with her footing, which I attributed to her blindness.  About 4 months ago she stopped jumping up on the couch, which had been once of her favorite spots to nap.  She was sleeping more than ever (she already was a big sleeper), but was still her affectionate, tail wagging self.  More little “old lady” symptoms cropped up…. Her rear legs would quiver when she would stand, and she began to move at a slower and slower pace.  In her sleep her limbs would seem to spasm, as if it was something she couldn’t control.  Nova had always been a “sleep runner”, but this was different.

About a month ago, Nova started having fecal incontinence, which once again I attributed to aging.  It was like she wouldn’t always realize when she had to go.  She’d be hopping along and would leave a little trail of turds behind her.  This started happening a couple times a week, then every day, then multiple times a day.  Her vet said that her rectal tone was normal, so we began to brainstorm for other ideas on what it could possibly be.  A bit of spinal arthritis had come up awhile back one of the x-rays we did to check for mets in the spleen, so I decided to head down that path.

A few weeks ago, I took Nova to see a chiropractor/acupuncturist.  He said that her entire pelvis was all locked up and things were way out of whack with her spine.  The treatments seemed to help with the incontinence and she seemed to feel great. Wipeouts on the hardwood floor in the kitchen were becoming more and more frequent (I have had area rugs all over since she became a Tripawd, but there were still spots of bare floor).   She would no longer jump up the one step into the house from outside, each time I had to lift her into the house.

Thursday night she approached her food bowl and suddenly did a face plant into the food and water stand.  When I came in, she was splayed on the floor and was trying to get up, but couldn’t.  My husband and tried getting her to her feet, but her back legs kept sliding out, shaking and doing the splits.  She was trying the place all of her weight (120 lbs) on her front leg, and I was so afraid she would break it.  We finally got her on her feet and guided her to her bed.  I brought her food to her bed a short time later and she refused it and turned away.  A few hours later, she got up and hopped slowly to her food bowl, and demanded dinner in her usual way.  As usual, I hopped right up… when the Queen has a need she will let you know it!

Friday during the day was more of the same.  She made it in and out without any wipeouts, but her legs were very shaky and I noticed that she had began “knuckling over” on one of her rear feet.  She made it to the food bowl fine at dinner, but around 10 pm she decided to get up to go get a drink.  Once again she did a face plant, and was sprawled on the floor.  We got her up, but this time it was more difficult.  We had to carry her to her bed, where she collapsed into a depressed heap.  I laid by her side to comfort her, but she kept turning her head away.  No kisses, no tail wags, no nothing.  I felt a sick feeling deep in the pit of my stomach.  Long ago I had made a list in my mind of some of the things that would be “signs” that it was Nova’s time.  No kisses and no tail wags were on that list.  Nova was ALL kisses and tail wags.  Even when she endured the agonizing pain or glaucoma, even when she emerged from amputation surgery.  Her tail would even wag in her sleep.  She had a reputation for being the happiest, most affectionate dog ever.

Then all of these things began happening that clearly helped me see that we were indeed reaching the end of the journey, and I had to be strong and guide her through it.  In the middle of the night she tried to get up again.  It was clear she needed to go outside, so my husband and I got her into her Ruffwear harness trying to help her get to the door outside.  She kept collapsing over and over.  It wasn’t working.  We couldn’t even keep her upright.  We brought her back to her bed, and she soon pooped herself.  I comforted her as I cleaned her up, and she kissed me and gave me a little wag.  Her tail was bent all weird like part of it was working and part of it was not.  She once again was detached, and turned away.  I went to lay on the bed, praying for guidance to help her through this journey.  As I lay there, Emmy, Nova’s lifelong companion and seeing eye dog, got up from her bed and walked over to sit watching over her sister.  She sat watching her as if to say,  “I am here to watch over you til the end, Nova”.  Darla, my other Dane, jumped up onto the bed with me, set her head across my chest and began licking my tears, continually looking over at Nova.  There was this buzz of activity in my head that felt like things were going on spiritually here that I could not see or understand, but the dogs did.  It was heartbreaking and comforting at the same time, and even though I knew the toughest part was still ahead, I was filled with this overwhelming sense of peace.

Of course I could not sleep.  Nova slept quietly all night and I grabbed my pillow and a blanket and decided to join her on the floor.  I spooned with her, and occasionally she would put her head on me and sigh, but there were still no kisses or wags.  I started to speak to her quietly telling her that I knew what she was trying to tell me, and that I promised I would be by her side until the end and free her from her pain.  I decided to wait until the vet opened at 8 am to take her in.  I wanted to take her where there were people who knew her and loved her, not to an unfamiliar emergency vet.  We laid together until 8 am when the vet opened, and I called to tell them we were on our way.  We had to carry her to the car with her harness and a sling, and laid her on her bed in the back of the van.  By the time we reached the vet we could no longer get her up at all, so we just placed her bed on a stretcher and carried her in.

One of my biggest fears about euthanizing Nova was the fear that she would not lay down.  She had never been willing to lay down at the vet before, and was always nervous and panting.  But now it was no longer a worry.  She had no desire to move at all.  She knew it was time, and it was as if she couldn’t wait to cross over.  My favorite doctor was not on duty that day, so we ended up with one of my least favorite.  She was one of the older, more experienced vets in the clinic, yet I had always avoided her since she was the one who told me back in 2008 that a Great Dane could never make it on 3 legs.  Over the past years she had spoken to me several times about how amazing Nova was, and how thankful she was that I didn’t listen to her, yet I still harbored a little resentment for this woman.  Yet here she was, the person who would be helping Nova to the other side.

By now, Nova was showing affection to me and my husband by nuzzling us.  Still no kisses, her nose was dry and hot, and no tail wags, but there was no movement whatsoever from her back end at all.  The vet came in to give the injection and she did not pass.  That’s my Nova.  Fighting until the very end, showing us how very strong she was.  Her heart was beating, she was calm and quiet, and she clearly still with us.  I placed my head on hers whispering in her ear so that my comforting words where the last she heard.  They had to recatheterize her in her front leg and administer a second injection.  She passed peacefully in my arms.  I stayed with her for only a short time after, taking in every inch of that broken, battered body that had endured and overcome so much.  Leaving that room was so hard to do, but it was clear that my Nova was no longer there in that body.  She had been set free.

I was in agonizing, gut wrenching pain, yet there was such an overwhelming feeling of love and peace there.  It’s unexplainable.  You did it, my sweet girl.  You conquered glaucoma.  You conquered bone cancer.  You inspired and gave hope to so very many who were/are walking your journey.  And you will continue to do so.  She was truly one in a million.  I do not consider her passing a failure or a battle lost, rather it’s a victory.

Of course right now I can’t see a picture of her without breaking down in tears.  I struggle through the heartfelt emails and Facebook posts, heartbroken, yet filled with so much love and appreciation for the people, most whom I have never even met, who have taken the time to think of me and remember Nova’s miraculous life.

As I was grieving with my son yesterday, he pointed out that it was 9 years ago to the day that we first brought Nova home to our family.  I hadn’t even realized it.  9 years ago on the 3rd Saturday in March, we drove home with our new Great Dane puppy.  So she entered our life and left this life on the very same day.  WOW.

537573_10150868311310794_1353843882_n.jpgImage Enlarger

Nova will be privately cremated.  My son’s suggested that we take some of her ashes back to the mountains in North Carolina, where she went for her “cancer-free” victory tour so many years ago.  There were a few special mountaintop spots there where I photographed Nova…. At the top of Mount Mitchell, at the Mile High Swinging Bridge at Grandfather Mountain, and overlooking my aunt and uncle’s orchard on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  We will head down there this summer to do that.  The rest of Nova’s ashes will remain in an urn, until they can be joined with with my own and those of my other dogs when I join her.

310786_10150357284825794_1073032238_n.jpgImage Enlarger

I want to close this message with a heartfelt THANK YOU to Rene and Jim for creating Tripawds.  You have brought so many very special people into my life through Tripawds, and you have helped me to help many people through their journeys.  And THANK YOU to this wonderful community of loving people for supporting and encouraging us over the years.

Much love to the entire Tripawds community,

Dane Mom Sue and Spirit Queen Nova

602710_10151327810420794_2121484288_n.jpgImage Enlarger

601049_516022015105816_641754999_n.jpgImage Enlarger

Dane Mom Sue at nova.tripawds.com and Mom to Beautiful Great Dane Queen Nova, a Blind Tripawd, who kicked cancer's butt from 11/08-03/13. The Queen is Spirit Nova now, but her legacy lives on here at Tripawds!

Linden, MI
24 March 2013 - 8:44 am

I am so sorry that the photos are all messed up in my post.  They didn't appear where I posted them, and I have no idea how to fix them.  Posting photos here has always been a challenge for me, I just can't seem to figure out how to get the words to not wrap around them.

Dane Mom Sue at nova.tripawds.com and Mom to Beautiful Great Dane Queen Nova, a Blind Tripawd, who kicked cancer's butt from 11/08-03/13. The Queen is Spirit Nova now, but her legacy lives on here at Tripawds!

Madison, WI
24 March 2013 - 9:10 am

Well, I'm glad some spirit puppy (yours or mine) moved me to check the website today, as I don't get on very often anymore.  I'm so sorry for your and the world's loss of the Queen.  I imagine it was a good thing for that vet, though I'm sure it was hard for you, to get one last reminder of her misjudgement with Nova and perhaps she'll be one more teller of Nova's amazing story.  Hang in there.  crying

Gerry has been a tripawd since 12/16/2009.

He was a shelter dog with a mysterious past and an irrepairable knee injury.

Videos and pics of Gerry's pawesomeness can be found at: http://gerry.tripawds.com

Orange County, CA
24 March 2013 - 9:13 am

Sue, that was an absolutely beautiful tribute to a beautiful, amazing girl.  I have to be honest, John and I never really thought this day would come.  It's still hard to believe, even as I write this.  Nova seemed to be "The One" that somehow beat everything that was thrown at her.  I think we thought she would be here forever.  You are so very correct when you say that Nova gave hope and inspiration to all those who read about her.  I know she baffled her doctors for these last four years, and that makes me smile.  The last remaining member of The November Five has gone on, and I can't be more thankful and honored that Max shared a part of her journey.  Rest in Peace Queen Nova.

Montana
24 March 2013 - 9:20 am

She obviously exemplified grace under fire and will be an example to all. So sorry for your loss

Spirit Shooter was a Miniature Australian Shepherd who was diagnosed with a MCT and had a LF amp 1/28/13 at 13-1/2 years old. 

Shooter crossed the Bridge on 8/28/13, his 7 month ampuversary and two weeks from his 14th birthday.

http://shooter......ipawds.com

24 March 2013 - 10:08 am

RIP Queen Nova.  You have been an inspiration to many of us.  You left us with a legacy that we all wish we could attain.  Thank you for all you have done.  Run Free at the bridge.  We know you will be ready to meet your family at the bridge when it is time.

Michelle & Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

Fort Wayne, IN
24 March 2013 - 10:31 am

What a beautiful, inspiring tribute. Nova had a wonderful life, thanks to you and your family.  I'm so sorry for your loss but so happy she is running pain free over the Bridge.

Liberty (Libby) was diagnosed with OSA on 1-22-13.  Right front amputation on 1-31-13. No IV Chemo. Metronomic Therapy started 2-19-13 along with supplements and some home cooking. Lungs clear until 1-06-14.  She's still her happy, hoppy, bossy self.  Living the dog life to the fullest and a proud Winter Warrior. :) RIP my Libby 4-21-03 to 3-19-14

New York, NY
24 March 2013 - 10:47 am

What a beautiful post for a beautiful pup.  Nova, you are an inspiration for all of us.  Reading your story gave me hope when I first needed it most.  You beat this nasty disease and lived life with grace and dignity.  RIP beautiful girl.

Jill is a 9-year-old tuxedo kitty. She was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in June 2012 on her toe in her right hind leg. Her leg was amputated on 12/12/12 and she completed four rounds of chemo (2 of Carbo, 2 of Doxy) in April 2013. "Like" Jill's facebook page: https://www.fac.....tty?ref=hl Proud member of the WINTER WARRIORS!!!! Her blog can be read at http://jillsjou.....ipawds.com. xoxo

Milwaukee, WI
24 March 2013 - 11:07 am

I am so sorry, and shocked, to see this post.  What a lovely and fitting tribute for a Queen.  I've read so much about Nova, she was an inspiration to so many.   How amazing that she entered your life and left on the same day. 

Harley is an 8 year old Golden Retriever. Amp surgery for an infiltrative lipoma canceled due to two masses in chest. A rescue, he found his forever home on 3/18/07 and left for his eternal home on 1/09/13. His story and medical history are at http://myharley.....pawds.com/

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
24 March 2013 - 11:25 am

What an awesome tribute, Sue.  Nova was truly the Queen, and loved by all she touched - in person and virtually.  My heart breaks with yours as I absorb the idea of her being a Spirit Tripawd now.  I am sure Trouble greeted her at the Bridge and led her across to be with all the other wonderful warriors who have touched our lives.

RIP sweet Nova.  Run Free at Rainbow Bridge.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

New Jersey
24 March 2013 - 12:57 pm

Farewell to the beautiful, inspirational Queen Nova--you have inspired us, and we send loving thoughts to your family. Such a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing her with us. Run free sweet soul!!

Joan and Lily

Our beautiful Lily was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in her front leg on 12/14/11 at age 8 and had amp on 12/16/11. She completed 5 rounds of carbo. She was so brave and kicked cancer's butt daily! She lived life fully for 4 years, 3 months, and 15 days after her amp. My angel is a warrior princess. I miss her so much.

24 March 2013 - 1:09 pm

The following message was sent to Sue via email last night, and for the life of me I cannot express my feelings any other way.

"Sue,

Shanna forwarded me a message that Nova's TriPawd journey has completed. Words will NEVER express just how much sorrow fills this home. We hope that you can accept our deepest sympathy and support at this extremely difficult time. Always know that you did everything possible and have gone beyond all reasonable efforts for Nova. I do know that she returned to you a very special love and devotion.

Long ago, I came to the realization that there were no magical words to ease the pain, and that the feelings that fill you now are because you loved and cared so deeply. That loved carried Nova through her tough battle. That love defined her need to fight for such a very long time. That love is why Nova danced in the snow when you came home after a long day at school. Close your eyes, remember with all your soul, and let youself feel, for Nova and the wonderful gifts that she gave you will be with you forever.

Through tear filled eyes, we close expressing that your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Bob, Emily, Chloe, and Kara
Spirit Cherry & Spirit Allie"
On The Road

24 March 2013 - 1:33 pm

Thank you Sue, for everything you did to give Nova the life such a Queen deserves. She was an absolute miracle girl indeed, and her spirit shall live on here to inspire others for years to come.

Peace.

All Hail The Queen!Image Enlarger

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

On The Road

24 March 2013 - 1:47 pm

Sue, our deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. We are all heartbroken here, it's just so hard to believe this sad day has arrived. Nova the Invincible, Nova the Great, Nova the Blind Great Dane Tripawd Warrior Queen, who has been our definition of the word "HOPE" for so, so long, is now a Tripawd angel. It takes our breath away to think that her journey has ended. We all know every journey will end, but like Maximutt said, we always thought she would just be here forever. She's been such a part of this community for so long, as have you.

Your beautiful tribute is so fitting for the Queen that she was. That couldn't have been easy to write so soon after saying goodbye, so thank you very, very much for taking time to come here and do that. I know she is proud of you for showing the courage that you did, at a time when she needed it the most. You are an exemplary dog parent who showed the kind of love and compassion throughout her entire life, not just at the end. There needs to be more people like you on this planet. Thank you for all you've done for her, for the Danes that you rescue, and for the Tripawds Nation. 

Nova's against-all-odds journey is one that we have always pointed people to, especially big dog pawrents, and we will continue to do that, always. Her heroic fight and the way she overcame so many challenges is something that nobody here will ever forget and one that we will hold dear in our hearts and hope for others whenever a new member joins because they heard that devastating cancer diagnosis.

Thank you for being here, for sharing her life with us, and for allowing us to be a part of the good and not so good parts of your journey. She will never be forgotten.

With all our love and condolences,

Rene, Jim, Wyatt Ray & Spirit Jerry

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Plainfield, Illinois
24 March 2013 - 2:51 pm

What a fitting tribute to an amazing warrior princess. Nova's story was one of the first I read when I found this community, & like many here I thought Nova would be around forever. She was such an inspiration to so many of us -and she continues to be even now. I know my 3rd period class from last school year will remember the Queen as well because I pulled her blog up in class when a kid argued with me about not being able to do something. Nova was the perfect example of rising above and beating the odds.

Sending you hugs,

Jenna mom to spirit Chili dawg and spirit Finchy and monkey butt Buster

Diagnosed with OSA: 5/2/2011 Ampuversary: 5/11/2011 OSA returned in hip: 8/26/2011
Chili Dawg crossed the Rainbow Bridge on 8/30/2011 & is now pain free. He was my heart dog, and I miss him every day.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Edward_1, antonia
Guest(s) 250
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17739
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: