TRIPAWDS: Home to 23115 Members and 2160 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Nervous...I scheduled Mallory for Right front amputation on Monday, 2/4/13
sp_NewTopic Add Topic

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 January 2013 - 8:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

My Mallory is a 9 yo boxer mix-mutt that I found in the road at four months old with a shattered elbow. When I found her, I took her to my vet and incurred all financial responsibility for whatever it took to fix her.  He placed a pin and screw in her elbow and she recovered fairly well.  Her range of motion in that elbow was lost quickly.  Ever since, she uses that arm for every third step or so and when she gets tired she walks like a tripod.  I took a risk but I have not regretted it in the least.  She is such a lovable dog.  

In the past year, Mallory has been having more pain and requiring pain medications.  Of course, with any oral medications you risk internal organ damage, like kidney and liver failure.  With her needing increasing pain medicines, I took her to an orthopedic vet who said "for quality of life, you should amputate her leg."  I was surprised.  I guess I was expecting him to remove the pin or just tell me to give more meds.  Amputation NEVER crossed my mind.   

I am a Hospice nurse, so I am very focused on quality of life.  And Mallory has a great spirit!  After thinking for the past few weeks and imagining her pain free, I decided to schedule the surgery.  And then of course I come home to my husband today who says "are you sure you want to do this?" as if I had not stressed about it enough.  He is totally on board, but we both worry about how this may change her life and ours.  

I am sooo nervous... Anxious!  Anytime one chooses elective surgery, you are more prone to think about the 'what ifs.'  I am trying to focus on how great she is going to feel after her recovery from the amputation.  

At least she has been practicing walking like a three legged dog for >50% of her life.  That should help, I imagine?!

On The Road

30 January 2013 - 9:35 pm

Hi Kristen,

Welcome! We're glad you found us and hope that we can make your transition to the Tripawd journey easier. As a hospice nurse I know you have the skills to handle the recovery. And fear not; you are correct in assuming that because she's already sort of a Tripawd, she will find it easier to adapt. She is still young and you are taking excellent care of her, so I'm going to be she will be just fine.

As far as how it might change your life...well, it can do that in a couple of ways. The first is that she will have less endurance, so long walks will be a thing of the past. It does require a bit of modification of your routines together, but it is SO worth it to know that she is not in any pain and able to have a better quality of life.

Perhaps the biggest change in your life you will see is that you will come to experience the amazing resiliency of animals. You will see the beauty in how she handles this challenge, and it will carry into over so many different aspects of how you live your life. Once you see how well she adapts, you will learn how not to sweat the small stuff, and handle challenges with the kind of grace and beauty that she does. Really! I know it sounds crazy, but give it time, I promise you'll see it.

P.S. I hope you don't mind that I moved your post here, but this is where members who don't have cancer come to share their stories. It's a good place to read about how others are dealing with situations like yours, and be inspired.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

31 January 2013 - 10:28 am

Hi Kristen and Mallory...You will be SOOOOO HAPPY you had the surgery done! Mallory will be GREAT! She'll be PAIN FREE which is something every mommie wants for their babies..and as you said...she's not REALLY using that leg..She's young and healthy and you will be adding YEARS of fun and play to her life..I was anxious and scared when (due to bone cancer) I opted to amputate Achilles front right leg..He being just under 9 years old AND 120 lbs!! Guess what? In less then 48 hours he was walking around like nothing ever happened...and for the 2 months he lived (before the cancer overtook him) he was as playful and painfree as ever... Not only inside with his family but outside as well with his other 4 legged friends...even tried to chase Mr. Squirrel!So pat yourself on the back for being a terrific mommie and doing whatever it takes to give Mallory a wonderful long life.

In your heart, where I belong.
31 January 2013 - 4:10 pm

Hi Kristen, and welcome to you and Mallory. You have a huge advantage that you aren't fighting a disease that requires amputation. Most dogs here are fighting some type of cancer, one lost his leg to MRSA , others to different diseases. The ones who lose a leg to injury or birth defect don't ever have to deal with mets, chemo, blood work, etc. 

Mallory will be liberated from pain. That's a noble enough reason to take her leg. She may not have the endurance for long walks and hikes, but if she's been living with chronic pain you may be surprised at how she blossoms in a month. I've read many times where dog owners said they didn't think their dog was in pain until the leg was gone. Then the dog's behavior showed there was indeed significant pain.

Amputation recovery is no walk in the park, but it passes. Since you have a few days, why don't you spend some time reading here and looking at the post-amp surgical photos? Even as a nurse, you may be surprised at how dramatic the incision is, especially for front amps (I think those are more radical looking)--and the amount of shaving they do doesn't help. Think about how you will handle recovery, what your plan is during the day if you and your husband work, how to handle any other animals or children...

I encourage you to bop into the chat room in the evening and ask some questions there, too. It's a good way to meet members and a wonderful way to get immediate answers. We're also pretty good at quelling anxieties!

Good luck! You're doing a good thing.

Shari

From abandoned puppy to Tripawd Warrior Dude, Dakota became one of the 2011 February Furballs due to STS. Our incredibly sweet friend lived with grace and dignity till he impulsively raced over the Bridge on 12-15-12.

Dakota's thoughtful and erudite blog is at http://shari.tr.....pawds.com/

31 March 2013 - 5:22 pm

It's odd now seeing my original post under "Beyond Cancer." And here is why...

My Mallory died today. I am so sad and distraught... Yesterday, Friday (3/29/13) I noticed Mallory's abdomen was distended. I went to work and did not think much more about it. I worked late and when I went to bed at 2am, I began rubbing her and noticed her belly was even more distended and hard. I took her to the emergency vet. CXR and abdominal xray showed a huge mass engorging her abdomen and impeding her ability to breathe. 3 lesions were in her lungs. DVM said likely hemangiosarcoma. I was unprepared for this. She has had such an amazing recovery since her amputation. Just 2 months ago, she had no signs of cancer in her body and no abnormal lab work, and yet today I had to let her go. She was in pain and having trouble breathing. I did bring her home from the emergency vet to spend some time with us, and then we went back this morning. She died on 3/30/13 at 1130am. It all seems like a dream...

As for Mallory's amputation, she healed beautifully. Her amputation was due to a infant injury of her right front arm which became painful over the past year.  After recovery, we were walking 1/2 mile daily. She was rolling in the yard again and sleeping upside down on her back liked she loved to do. We were back to normal after just a few weeks. She was amazing. She was happy, spunky, and pain-free.

420248_10151256651951765_379661367_n.jpgImage Enlarger

(Post-op Day 17, upside down on the couch)

I never came back on the tripawd website to blog after her surgery. She did so well. And I did so well taking care of her, thanks to Tripawds. I have told friends and family about this website and how much it helped me.

So, Thanks for the support when I needed it. I am so sad. I can't even walk in the house without balling my eyes out.

On 3/28/13, I sent this picture to my friends to update everyone on her amazing recovery (Mallory out in the yard):

562331_10151312794776765_1785170111_n.jpgImage Enlarger

(1 month & 24 days post op. Doing great)

This is Mallory and I 36 hours later, before taking her back to the Vet on 3/30/13:

575787_10151315069451765_791969922_n.jpgImage Enlarger

625547_10151315066191765_1006130552_n.jpgImage Enlarger

NC
31 March 2013 - 6:06 pm

Oh, I am SO SORRY to hear about your baby's passing. This is such a horrible, evil disease; your story has me crying too. :(

Deepest condolences for your terrible loss.

Virginia

sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
31 March 2013 - 8:23 pm

Oh dear sweet Mallory ..Your photos are so heartwarming. The one where our mom is giving you a kiss on your head-----oh my goodness...that is the most content look....the most "yeah, I know I'm loved and I am t such peace". Can you see the peace? She's telling you it's okay.

Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words...

Thank you for honoring her life with us here. This is a site of heros and she honors you for being her champion, her hero. Mallory k owe with absolute certainty everything you did for her was from the depth of love that you surrounded her with everyday

We are surrounding you with Mallory' grace, Sally and Happy Hannah

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Columbia, MO
31 March 2013 - 8:26 pm

Oh no!  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Run free sweet Mallory.

Marla and Daisy

My Two Tripawds...Biscuit and Spirit Daisy

Orange County, CA
31 March 2013 - 8:27 pm

This is so very sad, I am so sorry for your loss.  Our pets' deaths are always difficult, but having experienced it myself, it seems like a sudden unexpected death is even more hard to understand and cope with.  Please know that you took such good care of your girl.  If not for you, who knows what would have happened to her on that road so long ago.  Sending healing thoughts to you.

Airdrie, Alberta
31 March 2013 - 9:13 pm

We are so sorry for your lose!!!  Our thought and prayers are with you!

Roxy…Border Collie cross born on approximately October 27th, 2011;

Rescued in January 2012 by Oops a Dazy Rescue & Sanctuary;

Right hind leg amputated on January 20th, 2012 due to a severe spiral fracture;

Adopted on February 21st, 2012 by Teena, a devoted human & Charlee, a purebred BC.

Hugs, tail wags & sloppy kisses

In your heart, where I belong.
31 March 2013 - 10:53 pm

I'm so sorry. I can honestly say I know how you feel, having lost Dakota almost exactly the same way in December. A mass on his spleen, internal bleeding, no time to do any of those "goodbye" things. Hemangio is a sneak thief and never, ever cuts us a break. Try to take comfort in the knowledge that you gave Mallory every chance in the world to have the best life with the time she had. And again, I am so very sorry.

Shari

From abandoned puppy to Tripawd Warrior Dude, Dakota became one of the 2011 February Furballs due to STS. Our incredibly sweet friend lived with grace and dignity till he impulsively raced over the Bridge on 12-15-12.

Dakota's thoughtful and erudite blog is at http://shari.tr.....pawds.com/

On The Road

1 April 2013 - 9:56 am

Oh nooooo. Our heart breaks for you and Mallory, we are so very sorry to hear this terrible news.

It's so hard to say goodbye, I know it's even harder when you don't have any time to prepare. Please try to take comfort in knowing that Mallory did not suffer in the end. You did right by your girl for a lifetime, you saved her from a terrible fate as a puppy and you honored her spirit right up to the end.

Our hearts go out to you, please know we are thinking of you and sending our deepest condolences. Come back anytime to share more about her life with us, we are here to lean on.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

New Haven, CT
1 April 2013 - 7:08 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.  You fought so hard for Mallory's quality of life.  You wanted to give her everything and more.  And then this struck.  This isn't fair, but this isn't something you already thought over a million times.  I am just so sad for you.  This is terrible news.  Sending you loads and loads of (((HUGS))).

~ Katy

ACL tear in right hind leg 12/5/12 and scheduled ACL repair surgery 12/21/12. Pre-op xrays revealed osteosarcoma. Amputation 12/28/12.  Chemo (carboplatin) started Jan 10, 2013 and ended on April 5, for a total of 5 doses. He handled carbo like a champ!  No side effects.  We started metronomic therapy at his third chemo and have been also doing some holistic treatments.  He's a lively, playful 10 year old huskie-boarder collie and a very proud member of the Winter Warriors!  Our love. Our funny little guy!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: admin, jerry, benny55, Alyssa_2
Guest(s) 189
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17868
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: