TRIPAWDS: Home to 23085 Members and 2157 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
So....Frankie ate 16 (100 mg. each) of Merry Myrtle's Rimadyl. In ER tonight & prob. tomorrow night
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Virginia

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
18 May 2016 - 2:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I forgot to ask about Metacam.

I didn't know whether to start thread or not....kinda gave my own self a jolt when I saw the title come.up!

Jerry! Feel free to turn.this.into.another thread if that's better!way-cool

And Kathi...have no.idea avout why the video.is covering the reply thing...craaaazy!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Los Angeles, CA
18 May 2016 - 5:37 pm

OMG ..I freaked when I saw this title again too!!! I don't know what to tell you - metacam is a good idea (also NOT A VET)... but Shelby had metacam for her aches and pains before she got sick... I think. 

Poor Frankie and poor Sally .... I wish I could be more help but I am sending you love and hugs! 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

18 May 2016 - 9:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Oh darn. I hope Frankie just over did it and can feel better from some meds, ice and heat. I just had an image of Frankie in a cart being pulled by Merry Myrtle. Somehow I don't think Frankie is the type to take it easy though.

My vet recommends some Senior cat food for arthritic cats. Perhaps there's something like that for dogs or supplements to help reduce inflammation. Metacam is both an anti-inflammatory and pain med but I don't think it's okay to take long-term (at least not for cats).

Hope you find something that works Sally.

Kerren and Tripawd Kitty Mona

On The Road

19 May 2016 - 11:01 am

Yes, I thought the same thing about crazy Frankie, totally freaked me out. Glad he didn't do that again.

Sally you can always ask for another NSAID, there are others to choose from. You can get them compounded jjust for his needs from a compounding pharmacy too. Your vet can send a script to one. NSAIDs aren't the only choice either, other pain meds are out there as you know. Did you tell your vet you aren't comfortable with Rimadyl? What did she say?

As for rehab therapy, Dr. Debbie Gross will consult long distance if that's a possibility for you.

Give Frankie a hug from us, we hope he feels better soon.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

19 May 2016 - 11:20 am

Oh gosh! Thanks EVERYBODY! The thread title still makes me shudder too! But I felt like it would be informative if I kept the "follow up" here if Rimadyl was ever brought back into the picture.

Jerry! Yes! That's a great idea about getting a pharmacy ro compound something! And the phone consult...anothw great idea!! Thank you!

He.IS better with his front leg (knocking on wood) today. For now, his "treatment" has been forcing him to "rest" by ignoring his pleas to go.out and howl and run and one tramadol. So he just howls inside without the runningway-cool

I did express my concerns to his regular vet, that's why she did the bloodwork and suggested half dose (which I don't think would be effective anyway).

Regardless, I'm just NOT going to "risk" it, especially since he seems better. His rear gait still.looks whacky, but I think Dr. Gross could help with that.

May try Turmeric if it flares up again.

LOVE TO ALL!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

19 May 2016 - 4:33 pm

Theoretically Rimadyl should be fine at a normal dose since that last episode was so long ago and the bloodwork is normal.  I prefer Deramaxx or Metacam myself so you could ask your vet about those drugs.

It is hard to tell from the video but large breed active dogs are prone to shoulder/rotator cuff injuries or strains in which case an NSAID and rest should work.  My Bordeaux Loki did end up having a cartilage chip in his elbow that had to be removed with a scope when he was 6 yrs old.  If Frankie does not improve I would certainly xray both the elbow and shoulder.

Pam

Virginia

19 May 2016 - 8:51 pm

Thanks so much Pam! I think.I'll go.with one.of the alternatives you mentioned just for.my.own.silly peace.of.mind.

We're all.so fortunate to.have.yiur continued support. You are so kind to donate your time and knowledge and heartheart

Loki's lucky to have you as his human!

Orrtanna Pa.
22 May 2016 - 8:32 pm

Sally, have you tried splitting his Tramadol dosage. Chandler was prescribed 2 pills 2x day. He was knocked out! He now gets 1/2 pill 2x a day, sometimes if he seems stiffer, I slide in a 3rd time. This seems to work. I got the go ahead for Metacam the last time I was at vets, but I am also petrified of NSAIDS. I cannot bring myself to give it to him. After Ty's experience with Deramaxx, I am afraid I will do him damage.  I now know Ty did not have the proper wash out period, but still. Is Frankie on Dasaquin? That may help over the long haul. I too, thought Oh no, not again when I saw this. 👀 Lori, Ty and Gang

TY GUY, Best Black Lab ever! Diagnosed  and had amp in January, 2014. Kicked MRSA's butt. Earned his angel wings on April 16, 2014. Run Free my boy and don't forget a shoe. Ty is a proud member of the " April Angels". Ty sent us Daryl, a Tripawd rescue in Sept. of 2016. Daryl is 5 +or -. We are also Pawrents to Chandler, a Border Collie mix who is 15 and 1/2, Lucy, a Corgi who is 7, 2 minis, 2 horses, and a feisty cat named Zoe. Zoe had a non skeletal Osteosarcoma removed in July 2015. No Chemo, she was at least 16. She is going strong although she is now completely blind. She is now close to 20 and her hobbies are eating and sleeping in front of her personal heater. 

Virginia

22 May 2016 - 10:19 pm

Thanks Lpri! Knocking on wood over here (or Frankie's hard hound head...one in the same), he seems to be "okay" now with basically the "rest". I've continued to keep his "outdoor time" in a smaller "yard" than he's used too, which is still pretty darn big!

Yep, like you, I just don't want to mess with NSAID unless I ABSOLUTELY have to. After all the advice here, I even got the vet to give me a prescription for the Metacam (in lieu of "risking" the Rimadyl) and STILL haven't filled it yet! Great minds...yeah, think alike!way-cool

And yes, I do have he and Merry Myrtle both on Dasequin, however, very I'm ashamed to say, not consistently at all. Big dogs...big bucks and they're unemployed!

Didnt seem to need the Tramadol but a couple.of times.

My.main goal.now.is to get a phone consult with Dr Gross.and see.how that evolves. I think he definitely needs some Rehab/PT.

Much love! Hugs ro all your pack...and a big one to yiu!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

PS...SNICKERS....Bery late...but thank you so much for sharing yiur...er...adventure! Glad you are okay. Best wishes to you and all yiur pack.

Westminster, MD
4 June 2016 - 9:21 pm

Wow Sally, that Frankie is keeping you busy !! I am trying to catch up a bit here, been awhile since I have posted ...... 

I don't have any advice, just want to say I hope he gets better soon, and I will be checking in to see how things are going with him and you, and sending my love, hugs, and positive healing energy 😊🐾❤️

Love you, 

Bonnie, Angel Polly, Pearl, and Zuzu 

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Susan, Shenandoah
Guest(s) 72
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17840
Moderators: 6