TRIPAWDS: Home to 22969 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Projectile vomiting at 2:00 a.m. ... good times!
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Los Angeles, CA
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 July 2014 - 7:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Oh how I did NOT miss that about dog ownership. I am sure it was nothing. I think probably gave her too much pure pumpkin with her dinner since her dinner came up solid (gross and TMI). I was dead asleep (exhausted and went to bed super early) yet the mommy in me heard the gagging and flew into action (mainly because I was afraid she was still under my bed and I am not skinny enough to get under there if she pukes under there). She wasn't. She puked on my rug - why she couldn't puke on the hardwood floors a foot away .... WHY the rugs, why?!? Anyways, one big puke and then I cleaned it all up and back to bed for both of us.

And "someone" is clearly feeling MUCHO better this a.m. 

Image Enlarger

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

Martinsburg, WV
30 July 2014 - 8:42 am

It must be in their doggie DNA to mess where it won't be easy to clean up.  It always has to be on carpeting and rugs.  Never the hardwood or tile.  Leland would go through boughts of diarrhea and it always ended up on the carpet NEVER the hardwood.  I guess that's what they made steam cleaners for as I bought myself one over Black Friday several years ago.  That carpet was always getting steam cleaned.

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious for Jasper and yes she does look like she's feeling much better this morning.

Sahana and her Angel Leland

Leland

November 17, 2009 - June 30, 2014

May you finally be healthy and running free at the Rainbow Bridge. Until we meet again my sweet boy!

On The Road

30 July 2014 - 9:46 am

Eeek! Fun indeed. When it comes to pumpkin, less is more. A tablespoon is usually more than enough even for a medium sized dog.

Hope it didn't stain your rug!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Los Angeles, CA
30 July 2014 - 10:21 am

Between trying to keep her from eating it (disgusting but all dogs do it) and getting the paper towels ... it was definitely an interesting night! 

No rugs were harmed in the process! :-) It was a pretty solid puke and mostly kibble with pumpkin so I am guessing it was too rich for her and never digested but boy oh boy was she FULL of energy this a.m.!!!! 

And yeah, I gave her two big spoons... so definitely too much pumpkin for her. I'll dial it down a bit tonight. It's not like she needs the pumpkin for anything but her dinners look so boring w/out some added carrots and pumpkin. 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

On The Road

30 July 2014 - 10:52 am

Oh yeah it's always better going down a second time!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

30 July 2014 - 10:56 am

JASPER LILY!!! Looks like all the "new kids on the block" are thoroughly enjoying coming up with ways to scare us! Not funny!!!

Yeah, probably too much pumpkin...or baby doll.stuffing!

Eating their own puke...it's such a delicacy to them...guess it's their version of a twice baked potato!

Glad she's all better today!clap I keep scrolling back to look at her picture and get m y smile on for the day!

HUGS!

Sally and Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Los Angeles, CA
30 July 2014 - 11:14 am

benny55 said

Eating their own puke...it's such a delicacy to them...guess it's their version of a twice baked potato!

OMG Sally!!!! that is disgusting but probably very, very, VERY true! 

Jasper is definitely a vile beast... a cute one but vile... she likes to lick my armpits at night (gross and probably more TMI) and took off w/my underwear last night when I was changing to go for a run! And she has a serious post-run sock obsession... those are truly the best for her! 

Thankfully, I haven't seen her eat poop (cat or dog) yet! 

Livermore, CA

30 July 2014 - 11:32 am

I found out the hard way that Obie has a bit of a sensitive tummy. When I took him to an obedience class the instructor wanted us to use 'high value' treats for training and one recommendation was hot dogs. I got some high quality dogs (if there is such a thing) without preservatives, of course Obie loved them. I was getting ready for bed on night after class, Ob was on my bed. He started retching and moved to the edge of the bed, I thought he was going to get down. I grabbed some rags but was too late, he puked up little hot dog pieces right on the edge of the bed AND on the rug.

In reality anything edible is a 'high value' treat for Obie, so I am able to use his normal food for training.

"Twice baked potato" big-grinbig-grinbig-grin

Karen

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Los Angeles, CA
30 July 2014 - 2:54 pm

krun15 said
I found out the hard way that Obie has a bit of a sensitive tummy. When I took him to an obedience class the instructor wanted us to use 'high value' treats for training and one recommendation was hot dogs. I got some high quality dogs (if there is such a thing) without preservatives, of course Obie loved them. I was getting ready for bed on night after class, Ob was on my bed. He started retching and moved to the edge of the bed, I thought he was going to get down. I grabbed some rags but was too late, he puked up little hot dog pieces right on the edge of the bed AND on the rug.

In reality anything edible is a 'high value' treat for Obie, so I am able to use his normal food for training.

"Twice baked potato" big-grinbig-grinbig-grin

Karen

Oy, oy, oy!!! They do love to vomit everywhere - don't they? I so hope this was a one time / too much pumpkin thing and I don't have a pooch with a sensitive belly on my hands. :-) But considering I have seen her grab so much food / things off the street and consume with no issues, I think I just over-pumpkined her! 🙂 

Rumor has it there was an earthquake over by my apt earlier today. Only about a 3.2 but I am sure poor Jasper is probably shaking and hiding in her crate (she can't get into my bedroom when I'm not there). I'll be lucky if I can get her to go outside when I get home since after the thunder the other day - she wouldn't voluntarily go outside for over 36 hours. She may not have a sensitive belly but she's afraid of EVERYTHING! 

Idaho
30 July 2014 - 4:34 pm

Poor baby. She must have had a terrible time in her earlier life. Lots of cuddles.

Kathi and Murphy

Murphy is a five year old Lab/Chessie cross. He was hit by a car on 10/29/12 and became a Tripawd on 11/24/12. On 2/5/13, he had a total hip replacement on his remaining back leg. He has absolutely no idea that he has only three legs!

UPDATE: Murphy lived his life to the fullest, right up until an aggressive bone lesion took him across the Rainbow Bridge on April 9, 2015 and he gained his membership in the April Angels. Run free, my love. You deserve it!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 106
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17730
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: