TRIPAWDS: Home to 23086 Members and 2157 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
One Year in Heaven August 20, 2014 Sassy
sp_NewTopic Add Topic

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
20 August 2014 - 7:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Today is one of the toughest day of this past year.  Who knew that one year ago today that I would be working and Sassy would be spending her last day at home with me.  I just still can't believe she is gone.  These anniversarys are tough but I think this one is the toughest for me.  Yesterday a happy day celebrating Jazz & Snickers 1st birthday but I knew this one was right around the corner.

Sally told me when we got Snickers & Jasmine that Sassy had a hand in picking them out.  She probably did.  I want everyone to know without all of you I wouldn't make it through days like this.  Each and everyone of you are special. 

New members if you are reading this also I want you to know that just because your baby is on a journey weather its with cancer or not this "Family" as I think of them is awesome.  Let us be there for the happy & sad times too.  Don't feel bad for posting great things about your furbaby even if there is something sad that happens that day.  We want to hear the good things.  We need to hear them. 

So I found this on Libbys mom's facebook page and I told her I was stealing it to use today.  But first a picture of Sassy.

DSC_0418_zpsfc5f8bb6.jpgImage Enlarger

sassyalldone_zpse00c51aa.jpgImage Enlarger

100_1104_zps166c63f3.jpgImage Enlarger

A Loan From God

God promised at the birth of time,
A special friend to give,
His time on earth is short, he said,
So love him while he lives.

It may be six or seven years,
Or twelve or then sixteen,
But will you, till I call him back,
Take care of him for me?

A wagging tail and cold wet nose,
And silken velvet ears,
A heart as big as all outdoors,
To love you through the years.

His puppy ways will gladden you,
And antics bring a smile,
As guardian or friend he will,
Be loyal all the while.

He'll bring his charms to grace your life,
And though his stay be brief,
When he's gone the memories,
Are solace for your grief.

I cannot promise he will stay,
Since all from earth return,
But lessons only a dog can teach,
I want you each to learn.

Whatever love you give to him,
Returns in triple measure,
Follow his lead and gain a life,
Brim full of simple pleasure.

Enjoy each day as it comes,
Allow your heart to guide,
Be loyal and steadfast in love,
As the dog there by your side.

Now will you give him all your love,
Nor think the labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call,
To take him back again?

I fancy each of us would say,
"Dear Lord, thy will be done,
For all the joy this dog shall bring,
The risk of grief we'll run.

"We'll shelter him with tenderness,
We'll love him while we may,
And for the happiness we've known,
Forever grateful stay.

"But shall the angels call for him,
Much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes,
And try to understand."

I want to also mention Brendol.  She crossed the bridge the same day Sassy.  Thinking of you Karma.  I know our girls are together and waiting for us. 

zpfile004_zps1eb68917.jpgImage Enlarger

zpfile003_zps32ac2fd5.jpgImage Enlarger

I also did a video to celebrate Sassy's life .  Yes, it is very long I couldn't just sqeeze her life into a few short minutes. 

hugs

Michelle &  Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

Los Angeles, CA
20 August 2014 - 9:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I commented on your blog AND your FB page and now here (you're going to get sick of hearing from me today... lol) but I do know how hard this day is (and will be when our year comes up). If each month is any indication, it doesn't get easier but perhaps some comfort in the knowing the 'firsts' are all completed... I don't know if that makes any sense or if it hurts more than it helps! 

But I do know that we are all grateful that you stay with us, remember Sassy's story as well as you do so you can help the newbies in their journey! 

And we all need to be 'more dog' .... Shelby taught me that too and I'm working really hard on it!

Lots of love,

Alison with the Spirit of Shelby fur-ever in her heart (and little Jasper too)

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

On The Road

20 August 2014 - 10:00 am

Oh Michelle & Karma, I'm sending all my love & hugs to you today. This is such a tough reminder of time, of the distance that grows between the days we had together here on earth. Nobody wants that to happen, it's hard to look back and see how many days have passed. All we can do to survive hard anniversaries like this is Be More Dog and remember; our dogs and cats don't count days on a calendar, everything just IS. Our love we share together with them is timeless, eternal, it cannot be counted in days or minutes or years, it just stays with us in our hearts, always making our lives better as long as we remember their lessons and pass them on to others.

All of us here are so grateful for you kindness in helping others even through your darkest days of coping with such great loss. You are changing lives my friends, and Sassy and Brendol are so very proud.

P.S. That video tribute is darling, lots of pictures there I hadn't seen before. The one with Sassy as a puppy and that bone that even bigger than her is just priceless!

{{{{{{hugs}}}

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Westminster, MD
20 August 2014 - 11:12 am

Michelle and Karma,
My total heart is with you both today.......one year....sometimes it seems that no matter how much time goes by, our beloved fur babies are still first and foremost in our conscious thoughts, and time will NEVER change that.

I am hoping for both of you, that Sassy's and Brendol's eternal and loving enduring spirit, will be with you now and always......seeing pictures of both your pups make me smile from ear to ear.....

Love,
Bonnie& Angel Polly

Martinsburg, WV
20 August 2014 - 12:24 pm

Michelle,

Plain and simple these days (Angelversaries) suck for us humans left behind because our fur kids were called to Heaven.  Take comfort in knowing that Sassy touched a lot of lives (human and animal) with her story...and she continues to be a presence here through you.  Because of your strength and compassion to continue to help others in Sassy's honor she can never be forgotten.  I think this is why I along with so many others here that have had to let their beloved fur baby pass on continue to lend support and advice.  It's healing for us and helpful for those just starting out on this journey.

And the poem...my gosh I'm crying over here...crying

Keeping you and Karma in my thoughts on this day.

Sahana and her Angel Leland

Leland

November 17, 2009 - June 30, 2014

May you finally be healthy and running free at the Rainbow Bridge. Until we meet again my sweet boy!

20 August 2014 - 6:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Michelle and Karma

I think of you two often and the strength that you both have demonstrated even though I began my journey with Tucker one month after both Sassy and Brendol crossed the bridge.

I know now that the ache you were feeling at that time must have been so intense.....but the love that you both had for your beautiful girls lived on and you knew that by guiding and supporting all of us "newbies" that you were honouring the lives of Sassy and Brendol.

I know that you miss them everyday....and that you may have become more accustomed to them not being here with you in the "physical sense" but you will always carry them in your hearts....and we all have been blessed to know them through you.

Many hugs and much love to you both,

Linda and Tucker

20 August 2014 - 6:41 pm

Thank you everyone.  It means a lot that you remember my girl & Brendol today.

Michelle

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

New York, NY
20 August 2014 - 7:18 pm

I can't believe it's been a year. That was definitely one of the hardest days around here and truly shocked me to my core. I miss those two girls so much and have been thinking about you guys all day. I'm sending lots of hugs and sorry I couldn't be around tonight. Xoxo forever

Jill is a 9-year-old tuxedo kitty. She was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in June 2012 on her toe in her right hind leg. Her leg was amputated on 12/12/12 and she completed four rounds of chemo (2 of Carbo, 2 of Doxy) in April 2013. "Like" Jill's facebook page: https://www.fac.....tty?ref=hl Proud member of the WINTER WARRIORS!!!! Her blog can be read at http://jillsjou.....ipawds.com. xoxo

New Jersey
20 August 2014 - 7:28 pm

Michelle,
A beautiful tribute to a Sassy and Brendol. Two beautiful girls gone too early but not forgotten by any of us here.
You two are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Esther and her Angel Snoop

Fort Wayne, IN
20 August 2014 - 8:17 pm

Remembering Sassy & Brendol.  You all are in my heart and on my mind.  Naturally I went through quite a few tissues watching your video.  What an honor to see Libby and so many other brave warriors included.  You are a special person, Michelle.

Hugs,

Amy & Spirit Libby

Liberty (Libby) was diagnosed with OSA on 1-22-13.  Right front amputation on 1-31-13. No IV Chemo. Metronomic Therapy started 2-19-13 along with supplements and some home cooking. Lungs clear until 1-06-14.  She's still her happy, hoppy, bossy self.  Living the dog life to the fullest and a proud Winter Warrior. :) RIP my Libby 4-21-03 to 3-19-14

Montana
22 August 2014 - 3:10 pm

Michelle-

I missed the post yesterday, but saw the video on Facebook today. Absolutely perfect!

Thinking of you on this difficult day. It is so hard to believe how much you can miss them no matter how much time has passed. They are just a special part of our hearts that will always be there.

Hugs to Karma too - I always think of Brendol and her bubbles and I know she is missed.

Take care - Luanne and Spirit Shooter

Spirit Shooter was a Miniature Australian Shepherd who was diagnosed with a MCT and had a LF amp 1/28/13 at 13-1/2 years old. 

Shooter crossed the Bridge on 8/28/13, his 7 month ampuversary and two weeks from his 14th birthday.

http://shooter......ipawds.com

22 August 2014 - 9:29 pm

Michelle,

What a beautiful tribute to Sassy. You have been a great asset to new members struggling with dealing with their new normal. Thanks for being there for everyone.

Penny

North Carolina
13 November 2014 - 1:19 pm

Hi Michelle,

I just posted on one of Sally's posts, and I wanted to reply to yours as well.  You were one of the people who helped me get through my rough time with Nesta.  ANd looking back on that, he died about 3 weeks after your Sassy, and you were still online, there for me, from day one.  That right there, is love at it's best!  I wish that I could have been more present over this past year.  I took a long hiatus from this place, for no reason other than it was hard to come back.  But the love that our dogs has left us with is much stronger than pain and fear.  So I want to make a better effort to be here for others.  

I was so happy when I turned my tri-pawds calendar to November and saw Sassy and Hannah on the same page!  I love that calendar and will save it forever.  It reminds me of these dog's awesome humans who helped me SO much through the cancer journey with my Nesta.  

I want you to  know that we now have two new dogs in our lives.  They actually came into our lives pretty quickly after Nesta's passing.  I could have used a little more time to heal, but looking back over the year, I believe they helped to me heal.  They are both very different from Nesta, but it doesn't mean I don't love them to pieces.  I am happy to tell you one is a rottweiler mix!  His name is Woody.  He is a year old now, but he's our little pup, and we love him.  So much personality and so tenacious!

13 November 2014 - 1:43 pm

I was just thinking about you the other day Kassi.  I am glad you came back to give us an update.  I am glad that you have 2 new babies in your life.  Sometimes our furbabies on the bridge know that it will take more than one to fill that void.  We will never forget them and that other baby to take care of helps us heal.  I know it took Sassy to bring 2 babies into my life.  They are sisters.  Make sure to post some pictures of them & do an update.  We have a new area too on the forums called the alumni site make sure to post Nesta's picture there.  :)

Hugs

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Kelowna, British Columbia Canada
16 November 2014 - 7:48 pm

Hey Michelle, 

Apologies for the belated post. It is hard to believe 12 months….I hope that the 'day' was manageable as best as possible.

You and Sassy are always there in our thoughts as we continue to wish for better days ahead.

Stirling and Guardian Tahoe

"Tahoe" - Our Amazing Superman and Best Friend.

Dec. 01-03 to Aug. 19-14

Diagnosed with Periarticular Hystiocystic Sarcoma Feb 14-13; Amputation March 18-13, and diagnosed with STS April-14. Tahoe touched so many people while visiting us, leaving a massive void in our lives. Always Missed, Never Forgotten!!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 257
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17842
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: